Survivor: Redemption Island

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So what do you think about this new twist? Do you think all challenges on the island will be physical or some mental or a combination? I hope the latter...

E

EricBess

They would have to be a variety of challenges. Otherwise, the most physically fit individual would basically get a free pass back into the game. Honestly, I'm not sure it is going to matter too much. If they were voted out once, getting back in wouldn't have shifted the dynamics enough that they wouldn't just get voted out again most likely. I suspose if there is some additional thing, like their vote counts double when they come back or something.

I supose if someone who got voted out pre-merge manages to stick around to the merge, or if they end redemption island right at the merge it could matter. Guess we'll see. Don't get me wrong, I think it could matter, but it is very situational. Then again, so are the individual idols and the perception of those has had an impact on the game, so who knows.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Otherwise, the most physically fit individual would basically get a free pass back into the game.
That's what I was thinking, but of course they were being obtuse about it, so it wasn't clear...

I think it can shift the dynamics, depending on who is coming back and when. Say the first person voted out lasts through all of his/her challengers and comes back (I'm going to assume it's definitely after the merge). Since no one really had a chance to know him, I think everyone will be scrambling to get his vote if it's already close and or size him up if one alliance is clearly stronger than the other. There's no guarantee that the people who voted him off will still be around and/or in power, so he could totally be an unknown.

On the other hand, if the last person voted out wins the challenge and is due to come right back in, then yeah, there might not be such a dramatic change.

I think Survivor is betting on the vast amount of variables to provide the suspense :)

E

EricBess

On the other hand, if the last person voted out wins the challenge and is due to come right back in, then yeah, there might not be such a dramatic change.
Yeah, that's sort of what I was saying. The first person voted out would need to win every challenge on redeption island to come back. The most recently voted out only needs to win one. Point is, the person coming back is more likely to be someone that was recently voted out. And if it's not, then they will be percieved as a threat because they are clearly good at challenges.

I like the idea. I think it will be very interesting to see what happens. I'm just not expecting it to "completely change the game" much.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Point is, the person coming back is more likely to be someone that was recently voted out.
Well, again, not necessarily. An early person voted out could be extremely good at challenges, physical or mental, and was voted out for social reasons or whatever. A person recently voted out could be bad at them - Dan is a prime example of that in last season (well, not sure about the mental part, but definitely physical). So it can go either way equally, I think.

E

EricBess

Yeah, I'm just talking statistics. The first person voted out will still need to win every challenge while the most recent person voted out only needs to win one. I've seen shows like this where the same person does win every challenge, so it definitely could happen.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, continuing my trend, we forgot Survivor started last night and didn't set up the DVR to tape it. Fortunately it's On Demand, so we should see it when it gets on there (it's probably already on), but who knows when we'll watch it... :)

E

EricBess

Sigh...Yeah, I didn't realize it was on until I checked the schedule yesterday morning. Seems I always know it going to be starting, but never sure when until right before.

I was sort of hoping that bringing Rob and Russell back would be more as "mentors" than actual competitors, but they are competing, so some people want to eliminate them first, of course. Still, without wanting to say too much, I think that right from the beginning of this season, this has got to be one of the absolutely most disfunctional alliances I have ever seen.

It's going to be interesting to see how long the ex-fed lasts, since everyone can believe him, but not trust him, so if he's helping you eliminate your competition, no reason not to keep him around, but someone like that is dangerous if he ever learns any secrets.

One of the most interesting tribal counsils. Probably the most interesting first tribal ever.

Melkor

I'd definitely say that was the most interesting first tribal council ever. You can have the ex-fed around to help you out but he's already proven he's unreliable, so I don't see how you can keep him around too long.

E

EricBess

You keep him around and hope everyone else tries to form an alliance with him :D

Melkor

It seemed a little early for Rob to make the move that he did. He might not have wanted to tear off the mask of the good guy so soon. Not to mention that you have lost two in a row and you don't want to be voting off physical strength too early.

E

EricBess

Yeah, but I think you see things based on your own experience. Rob ended up getting to the finals with Amber, so he knows how strong a romantic alliance can be. I think he would rather break that up now while there is time to assess than risk that the support starts going in their direction.

Plus, Phillip has already told Rob that he will vote for whomever Rob wants him to vote for. No one likes Phillip, so he is the perfect sort of person to try to keep around as long as possible. And if he can keep giving him instructions right before the vote like he did, then he doesn't need to worry about him giving anything away.

I think it also didn't help that Matt went and shook hands with the other tribe after the challenge. I think Rob saw that as a sign of weakness, which is why he went for Matt instead of the girl (Andrea?). Still, there were comments that made it sound like Rob felt like she was playing him and he was genuinely interested, so you would think he would go after the "gamer", but then again, if he feels like Matt could be swayed by any pretty face, them maybe he sees that as a bigger threat long-term. Or maybe because of the handshake, he just felt Matt would be an easier target to convince everyone else of.

Melkor

I think it is probably the last one, I think he felt he could more easily vote out Matt and that strategy-wise he was just looking for a way to keep Phillip around because like you say, Rob thinks he can be controlled.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, finally saw the first episode before it gets deleted off of On Demand :) So not sure how much you guys remember but here goes:

First, I think Kristina made a major mistake in trying to get off Rob. I'm not even sure why she wanted to , aside from the fact that yeah, he's a vet and knows how to play the game. But to only have two other people "with her", one of whom turned against her anyway at tribal, meant that she didn't have the numbers, even if she did have an immunity idol (speaking of which, what's the deal with the show being unable to hide this thing well?). And Francesca made good sense, even if they did vote out Rob, they'd P.O. the other members that they or she would get voted out at the next tribal, unless she happened to get/find the idol again.

Rob made the best line when he was speaking to his "alliance" and going over the voting and said "Does everyone know what they're doing? 'Cause I was screwed last Survivor when I tried to do this." :)

Russell was just Russel when he made the play with Stephanie, but at least the other members of the tribe (well, two of them) know what he's up to.

Not sure how Rob's tribe got so far behind in the immunity challenge, I couldn't count how many guys and girls there were on Russell's team. Rob probably would have gotten the puzzle challenge had they kept up the physical part.

So yeah, the tribal council was very funny and Philip is just... out there. I don't know why he keeps throwing around the "I'm a former federal agent" but it'll be interesting to see how long he lasts.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw the second episode (2/23), again before it aged off of On Demand... :)

I re-read your guys comments and the only thing I can think to add is that I don't think Rob thinks he can "control" Philip because he's such a loose cannon, but is willing to keep him around for his vote as long as he proves trustworthy (which he showed at tribal).

I don't think Rob wanted to get Matt out; he kept saying he liked the guy and didn't want to play the game this way this early. But like you said, the main motivation was the potential alliance with Andrea and his own experience with himself and Amber. Shaking hands with the other team was probably the nail in the coffin however; what caused it to tip towards him and not Kristina.

It will be interesting to see if Russell can make it through, since the other team is very aware of what he's doing (searching for the idol) and how he plays. Ralph even caught him in the lie about the clue with witnesses (well, they're basing it from what Ralph told them, but I guess they're more inclined to believe him than Russell), so not sure Russell can be as "successful" as he has been in the past.

Melkor

It seems that Russell is doubly disadvantaged because his tribe knows his MO and also seems to be full of a lot of players who are pretty straightforward about the game. I'd have to say that Rob's tribe is like that too, seems like they casted the season to emphasize Rob and Russell's strengths as schemers.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But the difference is (at least so it seems so far), that with the exception of Kristen, who I think wanted to get Rob off just to say she knocked off the "big guy", everyone on Rob's team seems to like him and listen to him. Andrea now isn't so sure due to what happened with Matt, but initially, that was the way (not sure about how Francesca felt about him - if she truly felt the same way as Kristen or just went along with her plan).

Saw the 3/2 show, woo! On a roll....

Fran almost had the challenge, but Matt came from behind. I was thinking/hoping the challenges would combine physical and mental though. Not really sure why the teams got to see it, I think it would have been nice for the teams just have been kept in the dark about what was happening on Redemption Island and be surprised with whoever came back.

So Russell is "gone" already; well, at least to Redemption Island. Man, his tribe didn't waste any time :) There was a bit of incertainty whether Jill? Julie? would turn and vote with his alliance, but no... Steph? was running her mouth big time.... she kept saying how his experience was an asset but if she remembered the previous shows, he was just as quick as to throw his alliance under the bus (the one with Pavorti and the other girl). It was kind of obvious that they were throwing the challenge though - the guy doing the puzzle should have moved around the blocks at least aimlessly to give the impression he was doing something, not just "thinking".

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Was on a roll this weekend, got all caught up! So of course the episodes kinda blur together, so I'll try to remember the best I can...

3/9: So Russell loses the duel and is permanently gone. I thought his tears were also "genuine" but no, just typical Russell (or he made them out to be). And Kristen gets voted out despite Philip's attempts to keep her (and her comments aimed at him during tribal).

3/16: Matt's on a roll, three in a row! This guy is clearly a threat, but a likable one :) Krista gets voted out.

3/23: Matt wins again! Although it was close, Krista almost had it. Step gets voted out despite her and David's campaigning against Sirita. Whose comments seemed odd in tribal, since she immediately took herself out of the challenge without any discussion from the group, it seemed like. So her days may be numbered, especially if they lose again.

Philip "discontent" about being initially kept out of the loop with the immunity clue points towards another interesting tribal, if it gets that far. I hope Rob sees that he needs to go, since his vote no longer seems a "sure thing".

E

EricBess

Yeah, that's a pretty good summary. Have you seen last night's episode yet? I take it not as you didn't comment on it. Honestly, I have expected both tribes to try to throw the challenge, since both had someone they would like to get rid of before the merge.

Still, better the enemy that you know than the friend that you don't, so we'll see.

Based on the commercials, it looks like they will have a 12-person merge, with the tribes 5 to 6 and bringing back the person from the island next week. I was sort of figuring that there would be one more week before the merge. Normally, they merge with 10, so I figured they were wanting the returning member from redeption island as the "swing vote", but I guess not.

I'm sort of dissapointed by how manipulative they have tried to be with their commercials recently. Rob made a comment last night about how he wanted to keep a target on him going into the merge so that his team will rally around him. They edited that to show Rob saying "I have a target on me" for the commercials to make you think that everything had gone south for him. Then you see what he really said and its nothing.

Next week, for example, they make a big deal about how Matt cuts his foot, but I wonder if a) it's just a scratch, and b) the challenge next week isn't even physical...

Of course, the challenge on redeption island this week wasn't physical at all (sorry, I just spoiled Matt winning again, but it really doesn't end up close), so next week probably is.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, haven't seen last night's. We're having company this weekend, so we're cleaning house :) Probably will catch it over the weekend.

One thing I've noticed this season is that the reward and immunity challenge has been combined into one all this time, no more separate challenges....