Survivor: Guatemala

E

EricBess

Yep, watching...Haven't really formed too many opinions yet.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing I can think of at this point is what do you think about having the two Survivor's from last time come back to this one? Good "twist" or bad idea?

E

EricBess

Well, I think the basic idea is sound. In the last season, there were two people that effectively weren't given a fair chance. They were two pretty strong players, but the rest of the team was so weak stratigically and physically, that they never had a chance.

The problem I have is that realistically, what is the difference between that and a team that goes into the merge 2 men down over the other team (4 to 6)? Has anyone ever won after going into the merge from the smaller side? I don't think so.

Still, in a lot of ways, it's kind of cool to see a few popular players back, sort of like the Survivor All-Stars, getting a chance to root for your favorites again. The real problem is that their odds of actually winning are fairly slim. Last week, even though Steph was clearly a strong competitor, but not threateningly so, there was talk of kicking her off just because she "knows the game", which is a cop-out because the game is about the people around you and changes every season.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sort of divided on it. You make some good points, but I think each season should have "new blood" - the previous guys had their chance (unless the whole season is previous people, like All-Stars). But I'm not too strong on that, it's just a gut feeling.

I really wish I didn't miss last week's episode :(

S

sageridder

Well some might look at the returning players and think two things,1) there are players that will break down in the game and these two aren't likely to 2) if they both make it to the merge they have a sort of alliance from the previous game and may have become even better friends after.I think the old football player is makeing a huge mistake not telling who he is now that some people are guessing about him.He might even turn it into an edge by doing a little "Johnny fairplay" by claiming that he's broke because some corrupt accountant stole all his earnings and skipped off to Rio.You know maybe the returning players might be kept around based on thier proformances in the other season.In the team mode of the game most challanges are physical which they both excelled at, but if I rember correctly neither were good at the puzzle type challanges that will come up at the end.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, got to see last week's episode (apparently, the weekend is when we watch all of our taped shows from the week) :) Thoughts:

Bobby Jon and Steph and their status as returning Survivors don't really seem to be a big deal at this point - as long as they're contributing and staying physically fit, but that goes for everyone so it doesn't seem like they're getting any special status.

I also think it's a mistake for Gary to be hiding his past NFL experience... and apparently someone is already calling him out on that. Wonder how they know? Are they NFL fans? :)

From what was shown, Brianna did seem to be slacking off during the immunity challenge - it may have been due to the heat and whatever, but giving that impression to the rest of the tribe was important, despite any good reasons.

No one has really stuck out though as someone to root for yet.

E

EricBess

One of the players on the other team used to be a sportscaster and she recognized him and called him out at one of the challenges. No one on Gary's team knows who he is, but they heard the other team's person call him out and were asking him about it.

I think it was okay to try to hide it at first because it might have been seen as a threat, but once it was out, I think he should have copped to it. I think people would understand him not wanting to bring it up, but once they've asked him point-blank, they are going to feel like he isn't to be trusted once the truth comes out (which it will since everyone on the other team knows who he is now).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, like somewhere I heard or read, they might think he's trying to pull a "Johnny Fairplay" if he keeps hiding it.

S

sageridder

I agree if he comes clean soon and says he just wanted people to have a chance to get to know him first instead of just being a target right away.Gee do you think it was some sort of preplanned drama to have an ex football player and an ex sportscaster on the same show.

Killer Joe

I've been lucky in dodging the ball on this one! When it's on it's my turn to put the kids to bed and then I sneak down to the cellar without her noticing therefore I'm not *forced* to watch it. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw last week's episode. I gotta say, it's been kinda boring... still no real attachment to anyone and there just wasn't anything exciting about it.

The only thing I can say is that I think Judd's "double-cross" of his team will come back and bite him, unless there's a merge when he's still on and can re-alliance with some more people. But if things go the same way with separate tribes and current members, the other tribe members are just going to pick off the minority tribe now, with Judd for last.

E

EricBess

I'm not really sure...Judd never really connected with his teammates in that group and the rest of the teammates outnumber in the other group. Thing is, Judd isn't a winning personality. I doubt this will happen, but I think they should show Judd next elimination that they are trustworthy by being willing to vote off the other weak link. Risky, but I think it would pay off in the long run.

Either way, Judd basically insured himself to be the last member of his tribe to be kicked out of that group and at that point, he effectively makes it to the merge.

Time will tell...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the other remaining members of his tribe are female, right? So yeah, I can see him not bonding too well with them...

I think the rest is what I said; Judd will be voted out last. And it's not necessarily guaranteed he makes the merger - last season, Bobby Jon and Steph's tribe went down to 1 member before merging (although they did keep losing). So if Judd's tribe keeps losing and no more shake-ups, he could get voted off in three tribal councils if the other tribe stays true to themselves.

Brooke's Interview

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw last week's episode so we wouldn't get behind after tonight :)

Steph's team got smoked during the award challenge but can't really blame the dude cutting the rope. He could have switched his methods but methodically cutting to striking it on the edge like the other dude did, but I guess he thought his way was going to work.

Getting a dislike for Judd, just because of his seemingly need to justify his actions to the rest of the tribe. Give it a rest!

Not sure why Blake got voted off.

All in all, just not very exciting.