Surge

E

EricBess

Killer Joe said:
True, if the voting went the way of "popular" votes then Gore would be President.
That seriously up for debate. Remove Florida from the equation completely and Gore may have been winning marginally. Florida was recounted enough to know that it wasn't going for Gore, but there were still plenty of votes left to be counted and the way it was going, there was a good chance that the nation-wide popular vote would have been for Bush. And that's not taking into consideration all the pan handlers (typically Republican) who didn't bother to vote because the vote had been "called democrat" before they were closed in the pan handle.

I'm certainly not going to say that the popular vote was for Bush, but I really think that it's very shaky grounds to claim it was for Gore, either.

Mooseman said:
If Florida wasn't such a cluster-F, then Al Gore could have been President and there might be no need for a war in Iraq...
Florida was certainly a mess, but there is far more evidence to suggest that more Republican votes were missed than Democrat votes. When it was clear with the recount that it was going in that direction, Gore finally conceded.

Still, it is again fairly presumptuous to state what might have been the case had things been different. To your credit, you pointed that out. Personally, the fact that Gore acted the way he did and claimed to be "destined", etc. makes me wonder how much he's a meglomaniac. Maybe you have to be to run for president in the first place, but personally, I'm reasonably convinced that things would be even worse right now had Gore won.

And I don't think DarthFerret was referring to Bush winning against Gore. I think he was referring to Bush winning against Kerry, which was a landslide by comparison. And by the time that happened, we pretty much already knew what Bush's stance on the war was.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
EricBess said:
That seriously up for debate. Remove Florida from the equation completely and Gore may have been winning marginally. Florida was recounted enough to know that it wasn't going for Gore, but there were still plenty of votes left to be counted and the way it was going, there was a good chance that the nation-wide popular vote would have been for Bush.
http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2000/prespop.htm
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0876793.html

Eric there was no chance that the popular vote was ever going to Bush, even if you take Florida out of the mix.

E

EricBess

Doesn't look like it was going to Gore then, either...Neither candidate held a majority. Perhaps it would have gone to Gore if your removed Nader from the equation. Or perhaps to Bush. My points still stands that 1) neither candidate could clearly claim the popular vote, and 2) That election took place before the war on terrorism and Bush was re-elected after that.

Killer Joe

EricBess said:
Doesn't look like it was going to Gore then, either...Neither candidate held a majority. Perhaps it would have gone to Gore if your removed Nader from the equation. Or perhaps to Bush. My points still stands that 1) neither candidate could clearly claim the popular vote, and 2) That election took place before the war on terrorism and Bush was re-elected after that.
Dang, I hate when more cans of worms are opened. :rolleyes:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
EricBess said:
My points still stands that 1) neither candidate could clearly claim the popular vote
I don't think that a 500,000+ vote difference would be called close. Gore had the popular vote quite clearly and Bush had the EC by 5 votes, quite clearly.

EricBess said:
2) That election took place before the war on terrorism and Bush was re-elected after that.
Sorry to sound harsh, but who cares about this point?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to sound harsh, but who cares about this point?
I think EricBess assumed that when you were talking about Florida, you were talking about Bush's record on terrorism at that time. That's how I'm reading the thread...

DF talked about how people shouldn't complain now since they had the chance to vote in 2004. I said they don't, the Electoral College does. You responded that the Electoral College vote is determined by the popular vote in each state and gave the example of if Gore had won Florida, he could have been president. EricBess responded that that may not have been the case, that it was close, but either way, DF was talking about 2004, not 2000. That was the misunderstanding in question since you had never tied the 2000 election to what DF was talking about complainers.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I can see where somebody might get confused, except that both myself and KJ referenced Gore and I referenced Florida, thus I don't think we were not talking about the 2004 election or DF's reference to it.

Killer Joe

Bush - 2,912,790 49%

Gore - 2,912,253 49%

Nader - 97,488 2%

For the battle of 25 EC points: Just several hundered "Hanging Chads" away from a win and we'd be talking about what a pretty darn skip-to-my-loo kind of day it is today. :(

However, like the stock market, an OVER-CORRECTION has to take place at some point in time and 2000 - 2008 is it I guess. :confused:

btw. I'm no real Gore fan but I'd be willing to bet that things could-have gone differently after 9/11 which in my opinion was probably going to happen anyway. Well, we now know a "knee-jerk" reaction isn't the answer in the future, that's for sure.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mooseman said:
I can see where somebody might get confused, except that both myself and KJ referenced Gore and I referenced Florida, thus I don't think we were not talking about the 2004 election or DF's reference to it.
I know, but that's how the chain goes (what I said) when you re-read it above.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
"Bush to glimpse latest hybrid cars "
Private screening of Star Wars, The Phantom Menace scheduled for White House Easter Weekend. Administration mistakes movie for documentary on Reagan's defense initiative of the 80's. Cheney states, "It's the best information we had at the time."

:D This one's for you KJ