Sundering Titan

M

Mikeymike

Sundering Titan - 8
Artifact Creature (R)
When Sundering Titan comes into play, choose a land of each basic land type, then destroy those lands.
When Sundering Titan leaves play, choose a land of each basic land type, then destroy those lands.
7/10

1st, a ruling question: This guy's phrasing is completely strange, but I think he basically says "when he CiP or leaves play, destroy all basic lands and dual lands". It could mean "choice a single basic land type, destroy those lands" but that seems over-powered. For now I'll assume he's an anti-Ruination.

He's expensive, and he doesn't have trample, but his abilities have "abuse me" written all over them - especially in in Type 1 and Extended where it is painfully easy to get him in the graveyard for recursion.

He takes a little working of the mana base in order to fully maximize his potential (not easy in Type 1, but in Type 1 he's close to a Desolation Angel that can be Welded out so I have a feeling that will outweigh his cons some), but in Type 2 the options are plentiful.

Type 2 Lands and Such that the Titan likes:
Urzatron Lands
Artifact Lands
Talismans
Cloudpost

Type 2 Cards that the Titan likes:
Trash for Treasure
Zombify
Proteus Staff
Bosh (hey, you've already committed to an expensive artifact-creature deck, might as well go for the throat)

T

train

Well - when you break it down - it may be easier to follow...

choose "a" land of each basic land type, then destroy "those" lands.

The most you're able to destroy at any time with this is 5 individual lands... you choose a land of type "Plains" if available, then "Island" if available, and so on... then those chosen are destroyed... I'll guess duals can be chosen for each type they are... Savannah can be chosen for plains and forest, and in that instance only 4 lands would be destroyed... However if both players were running mono-red decks with mountains only - then only 1 land would get destroyed...

==============================================

Just checked the FAQ -

Sundering Titan
Artifact Creature
7/10
When Sundering Titan comes into play, choose a land of each basic land type, then destroy those lands.
When Sundering Titan leaves play, choose a land of each basic land type, then destroy those lands.

Sundering Titan's two abilities aren't targeted. When one of the abilities resolves, the Titan's controller must choose one land for each basic land type (Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest).
If one of the basic land types isn't present, it isn't chosen. If the only land of a certain type is one you control, you must choose it.
If a land has more than one basic land type, it can be chosen more than once.
All the chosen lands are destroyed simultaneously.

M

Mikeymike

Thanks Train.

That balances him out, but that is still a pretty strong ability.

N

NorrYtt

Seems grossly strong in multiplayer and possibly the control mirror in Type II.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Probably not very friendly for MP... probably could use him once in a game and then after that, TARGET! (you, not the creature).

T

train

But spidey - you don't have to worry about being the target when there's control on the board!...

"Maintain control... and then keep maintaining it...";)

T

train

I guess we'll have to come up with something for your version that remins them of the threat you pose if targeted...

Disk maybe? - or do they run a lot of artifact control?...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not really. The red haste deck plays burn though.

They'd usually have one guy play the threat and wait until I deal with it, then another guy put out a threat, etc. - take turns so my mass removal is basically overcosted single removal. It's effectively three on one.

T

train

Do you have any Isochron scepters...

If so your- cheap removal will become permanent removal, and the expensive removal can be used when they realize they need as much out as fast as possible...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've got one, I was actually thinking of putting it into the deck but at the time, I was under a rush to get it put together in the first place so I just went with the old decklist. In fact, I still couldn't find a Vindicate (although I never drew one in both games, go figure).

M

Master Shake

This guy should have been printed in Planeshift, he would have fit the set's flavor a bit more.

R

Rooser

Masta Shake is right. We should get a time machine and go back in time and infiltrate Wizards of the Coast and put Sundering Titan in the design file.

And then on our way home we could get ice cream ... and a few dozen boxes of Beta.

M

Mikeymike

Yeesh, he would have been scary in Invasion block. WotC probably wouldn't have done that because of how strongly it neuters Domain. They seem to like to see the decks bulk up before they give any strong counter-measures, and Domain never quite got there.

Though going off memory, I can't remember many discard/recursion ccards out of Invasion block. Odyssey sure supplied them though.

T

train

I think domain could've been really strong - if it had more support!...

M

Mikeymike

I agree, it had a lot of potential, but I feel that it was short on tourney-quality cards. (all too often the cards were too inefficient with 3 or fewer basic lands in play, which made a lot of them sub-par for early-mid game)

T

train

Well...

Maybe domain could be updated...

It's at least a deck idea...:D

R

Rooser

Didn't Domain win the last Invasion Block Constructed tournament on the Pro Tour? But no, it was never a terribly good Type 2 deck.

I was thinking about the time machine idea. What if we went back in time to when ice cream was first invented, and then we ate it, and were thus the first people in all of history to ever eat ice cream. Then we could be famous!

O

orgg

When y'first read this card, did anyone else's olfactory sense suddenly short circut and catch a whiff of molded Tsabo's Web?

Mabe it was just me...