Sultaitaire [Canadian Highlander]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This was an experimental Canadian Highlander concept, but I'm shelving it for now. Bad timing took this up to 12 points just two days after I built it. Also, it was way too slow and would need a lot of work to be remotely viable. Oh well.

Internally, I kind of debated whether to even post this one. I built is a couple of days ago from a concept I initially outlined a week ago, but didn't finish construction until late at night on Saturday. I was clearly too tired to be deckbuilding. This pile is extremely slow. Far too slow to be remotely competitive. It just rolls over and dies, even to lower-tier lists. It is so, so very bad. Now, the concept itself is super-fun and really tempts me. Other cards I was considering were things like Stunted Growth and Misinformation. Basically, the idea is to keep gumming up the opponent's progress while working toward lots of extra turns. Opponent gets slowed down only a little at first, then because you're taking so many extra turns, it adds up to become a hard lockdown. And the pieces are, more or less, available to try and do that. But we're lacking in card advantage, consistency, and survivability. I don't play Canadian Highlander often and I don't have the motivation to try and salvage this.

However, the one game in which this deck succeeded was glorious and showcased exactly why I built it. My friend kept a sketchy starting hand with his Grixis Time Vault control-combo deck and I thought he was probably going to win as the game dragged on. Just as it was looking like I was about to become stuck in desperate topdeck-mode for yet another game, Primal Amulet transformed. This let me copy my Regrowth to get back Time Walk and Narset's Reversal. Mystical Tutor for Seasons Past gave me enough resources to ensure that I could keep generating extra turns indefinitely. I then either bounced, destroyed, or tucked all of my opponent's permanents and looped in Hymn to Tourach to get rid of his whole hand. God-Eternal Kefnet and Archaeomancer attacked multiple times and gave me the win against an opponent with no permanents and no hand. It turns out that Primal Wellspring is awesome, if you can actually get the stupid artifact to transform into it.

1x Abrupt Decay
1x Archaeomancer
1x Bayou
1x Bloodstained Mire
1x Boomerang
1x Brainstorm
1x Breeding Pool
1x Capsize
1x Capture of Jingzhou
1x Chain of Vapor
1x Counterspell
1x Curious Homunculus