Subterfuge: White Cards

• Thread starter Thallid Ice Cream Man
  • Start date
T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Finally, about 7 months late, here are my 54 picks for the white cards in Subterfuge. I didn't give them any rarities, because that can be decided later. They aren't in any particular order, except that they are sorted by card type. As some of these decisions were slightly rushed, I am willing to listen to arguments about some cards. In fact, you can insult all of this at once if you like. Just realize, then, that I won't be specifically changing anything.

And now, without further ado about nothing, here they are:

Name
CC
Type
P/T
Abilities / Effects

Conformity Creation
3WW
Creature - Abomination
5/5
Flying.
If Conformity Creation deals damage to a creature or player, an opponent may prevent the damage. If he/she does, you gain 5 life and may draw a card.

Ivory Angel
1WW
Creature - Angel
3/3
Flying
Attacking does not cause Ivory Angel to tap.
During your upkeep, exchange control of Ivory Angel and a creature target opponent controls.

Disheartened Savior
2WW
Creature - Angel
6/6
Flying
When Disheartened Savior comes into play, put a -1/-0 counter on it for each land you control.

Mourning Dove
1W
Creature - Bird
1/1
Flying
Whenever a creature you control is put into your graveyard from play, you gain 1 life.

Child of the Gods
2WW
Creature - Child
1/4
Child of the Gods may not be the target of spells or abilities.
T: Redirect all damage that would be dealt to Child of the Gods by one source to target creature.
A child like this is born every hundred years, blessed by the gods, loved by all... - Blarf, Troll Master

Bleaching Preacher
1W
Creature - Cleric
1/2
1: Target creature is white until end of turn.
1WW: Gain 1 life for each white creature in play. You may only use this ability once per turn.

Soul Stepper
W
Creature - Cleric
1/1
2WW, Sacrifice an enchantment: Return a creature from your graveyard into play, tapped.

Town Exorcist
1WW
Creature - Cleric
1/2
All creatures with Holy counters on them are white instead of being their normal color.
W: Destroy all creature enchantments on target creature, then put a Holy Counter on it.

Suicidal Cultist
W
Creature - Cultist
1/1
If a Legend comes into play, remove Suicidal Cultist from the game and put a +1/+1 counter on target Legend.

Plated Dragoons
XW
Creature - Dragoon
1/X
When Plated Dragoons comes into play, gain X life.
XW:Target creature gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.

Glimmermight Guardian
3W
Creature - Guardian
2/5
At the beginning of your upkeep, pay 1 or sacrifice Glimmermight Guardian.
If you paid U, Glimmermight Guardian can't be the target of spells or abilities until your next upkeep step.
If you paid G, Glimmermight Guardian gains +1/+1 until your next upkeep step.

Keeper of Hope
3W
Creature - Keeper
2/2
Flying
Whenever an untapped white creature is the target of an spell or ability you control you may have that creature gain +2/+0 until end of turn.
3,T: Put the card on the bottom of your library on top of your library.

Keeper of Life
3W
Creature - Keeper
1/3
Flying
For every 1 damage dealt to Keeper of Life you gain 1 life.
3,T: Put target creature card from your graveyard to the bottom of your library.

Humble Knight
WW
Creature - Knight
3/5
First Strike, Protection from Black
Humble Knight cannot attack unless you control at least 4 Plains.

Warrior of Light
2W
Creature - Knight
2/1
Whenever a red or black spell is played, gain 1 life.
W: Warrior of Light gains protection from red or black until end of turn.
1: Warrior of Light gains first strike until end of turn.

Subtle Watcher
2W
Creature - Knight
2/2
First Strike
Subtle Watcher has protection from all colors among enchantments you control.

Tax Enforcer
1W
Creature - Knight
3/1
Tax Enforcer can't be the target of red spells or abilities.
Whenever a creature blocks or becomes blocked by Tax Enforcer, that creature gains first strike.

Merciful Knight
WW
Creature - Knight
3/3
If Merciful Knight blocks or is blocked by a nonblack, nonred creature, prevent all combat damage that would be dealt by Merciful Knight.

Trinity Martyr
2WW
Creature - Martyr
2/2
Sacrifice Trinity Martyr: Tap all untapped lands you control. For each Plains tapped this way, you gain 2 life; for each Island tapped this way, draw a card; and for each Forest tapped this way, creatures you control gain +1/+1 until end of the turn.

Desuli Minister
WW
Creature - Priest
1/1
You may pay W less to play ~this~. If you do, ~this~ loses Protection from Red.
OR
You may pay W less to play ~this~. If you do, ~this~ loses Protection from Black.
Protection from Black and Red

Karrash Serpent
4WW
Creature - Serpent
4/4
As Karrash Serpent is played, you may sacrifice any number of enchantments. Karrash Serpent's mana cost is reduced by 1 or W for each enchantment sacrificed in this way.
First strike
Attacking does not cause Karrash Serpent to tap.

Templar Crossbowmen
3W
Creature - Soldier
2/3
Each creature you control gains "T: Deal 1 damage to target attacking creature."

Leader of the Clan
3WW
Creature - Soldier
3/4
1: Target creature gains +0/+1 until end of turn.
3: Target creature gains +1/+2 until end of turn.
5: Target creature gains +2/+4 until end of turn.

Sonamor Javelineer
WW
Creature - Soldier
2/1
First Strike
Sonamor Javelineer comes into play with 1 Javelin counter on it.
T, Remove a javelin counter from Sonamor Javelineer: Sonamor Javelineer deals one damage to target creature or player.

Alpha Infantry
1W
Creature - Solider
1/2
If you control at least two Alpha Infantry, then Alpha Infantry gets +1+0 and trample.
If you control at least three Alpha Infantry, then Alpha Infantry gains +0/+1 and first strike.
If you control at least four Alpha Infantry, Alpha Infantry gets +2/+2 and may block as though it had flying.

Trained Tiger
2WW
Creature - Tiger
2/1
First Strike.
1: Trained Tiger gets +0/+1 until end of turn. If you spend more than 4, Trained Tiger gets an additional +3/+1 until end of turn.
All trained animals keep their true nature.

Untamed Unicorn
2W
Creature - Unicorn
1/2
During your upkeep, pay 1 for each enchantment you control or sacrifice Untamed Unicorn.
2: Gain 1 life for each enchantment you control.

Emmei Swordmaster
4W
Creature - Villager
3/3
First Strike.
0: Target creature gains first strike until end of turn. Play this ability only once each turn.
0: Target creature gains +0/+1 until end of turn. Play this ability only once each turn.

Legion Barricade
2W
Creature - Wall
0/4
Flying
When Legion Barricade comes into play, put a +0+2 counter on it for each blue or green creature in play.

Sacred Borders
2W
Creature - Wall
0/6
Whenever Sacred Borders is dealt damage, you may pay 2 or W. If you do, gain life equal to the converted mana cost of the creature that damaged Sacred Borders.

Guilty Conscience
WW
Enchant Creature
--
If enchanted creature deals lethal damage to another creature, remove enchanted creature from the game.

Love Potion
W
Enchant Creature
--
When Love Potion comes into play, choose a creature.
The chosen creature cannot be the target of abilities of the enchanted creature, and all damage done to the chosen creature by the enchanted creature is reduced to 0.
Love is imperfect, in that we often hurt the ones we love; that's where potions come in.

Indisposed
1W
Enchant Creature
--
Enchanted creature taps at the beginning of its owners attack step.
“Please leave a message and I'll get back with you as soon as I can.”

Tactical Error
1WW
Enchant Enchantment
--
Play only on an enchantment you do not control.
Only Soldier creatures can block. Soldiers can block up to three creatures. Enchanted enchantment gains "1, Discard a card : Sacrifice this enchantment."

Deactivation
W
Enchant Permanent
--
Enchanted permanent has no game text if it is an artifact or an enchantment.

Solar Halo
1WW
Enchantment
--
When the player with the lowest life total taps a nonland permanent he or she controls, gain 1 life.
Whenever the player with the lowest life total gains life, sacrifice Solar Halo at the end of the turn.

Mana Dam
2WW
Enchantment
--
During your upkeep, pay 1WWW or 1GG. If you don’t, sacrifice Mana Dam.
Mana cannot be spent to play spells.

Myth
2WW
Enchantment
--
During each players upkeep, that player may go through his or her library and put an enchantment card into play, then shuffle their library.
At the end of each players turn, that player sacrifices an enchantment.

Vitality Bounds
3WW
Enchantment
--
For each 1 damage dealt to a player, that player instead gains 1 life.
Whenever any player has 35 life or more, that player must sacrifice all permanents he or she controls.

Supply Lines
1W
Enchantment
--
During your upkeep, pay WW. If you don’t, sacrifice Supply Lines and destroy all Settler tokens in play.
Sacrifice a land: Put a 1/1 white Settler creature into play with first strike and protection from black.

Baptize
WW
Instant
--
Remove target creature from the game. At the end of the turn, return that creature to play under its owner's control and it becomes white.

Blessing of the Meek
W
Instant
--
Put a +1/+1 counter on every 1/1 creature you control.

Cleansing Sweep
2W
Instant
--
Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
If a land was destroyed this turn, you may gain 4 life.

Spiritual Possession
4WW
Instant
--
Target creature loses all abilities and becomes an X/X creature until end of turn, where X is your life total.

Reconsider
W
Instant
--
Counter target non-creature spell. That spell's caster may search his or her graveyard for any card and put that card in his or her hand.
The king dismissed the plan with a wave of his hand. "See if you have anything more - interesting to offer."

United Spirit
X2W
Instant
?
Gain X life.
If you paid at least one G on X, gain an additional 3 life.
If you paid at least one U on X, draw a card.

Ancient Borders
2W
Instant
--
Target creature gets +0/+6 until end of turn. If that creature is a wall, it gets an additional +6/+0 until end of turn.

Banish
WW
Instant
--
Shuffle target creature into its owner's library.

Heavenly Call
8W
Sorcery
--
Put all creatures in your graveyard into play under your control.
You may remove any number of creatures you control from the game to have Heavenly Call cost 2 less for each creature removed this way.

Historical Perspective
4WW
Sorcery
--
Each player gains 1 life for each permanent he or she controls.
Remove all permanents from the game.
Remove all Historical Perspectives in your hand, library, and graveyard from the game, and remove this one as well.

Knight's Quest
1W
Sorcery
--
If a creature you control deals combat damage to a player this turn, search that player's library for any artifact and put it into play under your control.

Request
2W
Sorcery
--
Target player looks at your hand, chooses a nonland card, and removes it from the game.
That card may be played as though it were in your hand, except that card cannot be countered.

Fresh Breeze
1WW
Sorcery
--
Target player sacrifices either an artifact or an enchantment. Draw a card.

Ascendance
X3WW
Sorcery
--
Choose X target creatures, and destroy all other creatures. Those creatures can't regenerate.

I'll try to get blue posted within a week or so.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I dont know what to do....should I put my suggestions on how to change some of these cards (I couldnt find many edits, but I found one here and there), should I say what cards I agree with that should be in the set?

Jake74 was kinda in charge of this, I dont know if he still wants to be or not.

...jake?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Originally posted by FoundationOfRancor
I dont know what to do....should I put my suggestions on how to change some of these cards (I couldnt find many edits, but I found one here and there), should I say what cards I agree with that should be in the set?
I guess you should do the last one. Most of the cards were removed because of redundancy in what the cards did (when there were two really similar cards, I usually removed one), or because the idea was frighteningly similar to an earlier card (there was one that was just a worse version of Peace Talks from Visions), but I can easily see why people might want some other cards in, as some of the ones I took out I removed only because of the 54 card limit.

You could also post suggestions. In fact, anyone could post suggestions.

And, to reiterate...

Originally posted by FoundationofRancor
Jake74 was kinda in charge of this, I dont know if he still wants to be or not.

...jake?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Ok, I like Thallid's list alot, a couple of cards I dont agree with. I dont really understand how were supposed to do this, but I'll just say what card I dont think should go in, and why.

Suicidal Cultist:
The name just isnt white, and the card really isnt white either.

Keeper of Hope:
Two Keepers are reduntant I think, and this one is the worse of the two

Cleansing Sweep:
The abilties dont go together....we would need to fill the disenchant niche though.

Banish:
I think should be blue

And I guess thats it.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I only really kept Suicidal Cultist because it was one of about 5 one-drops originally (I don't count Plated Dragoons because if X is 0 it dies, and one of those 5 one-drops was just a new version of Tundra Wolves/Serra Zealot). I think we should find some way, either by powering down some existing cards or by using post revision cards, to make more cards for just W. In the mean time, I keep Suicidal Cultist in because of a lack of anything better.

There were originally three Keepers, and each was designed to be used in conjunction with the other two. Since I cut one I might be willing to cut another, especially because the Keeper "cycle" is sort of random. However, I don't see the point of cutting it yet. If we think of cards that deserve the slot more, then we could put those in instead.

Your comments about Cleansing Sweep show the problem I had in making this list: We are all so interested in making revolutionary cards, not just in terms of card text but in terms of function, that we forget to make the little alterations on basic themes (except for a few cases like this card). This problem isn't unique to any one person who has worked on the set, either. So unless someone proposes a better variant, this will have to stay for now.

I agree completely about Banish, and I think this was discussed earlier, but I don't remember the outcome, especially considering that the original list from which this list was made had all the versions of any card that was ever white.