Subterfuge...Penguins?

S

Sammy Dead-O

One of my admittedly few contributions to the Subterfuge set is a card that is shaping up as...

Icebound Penguin -Common
1UU
Creature -Illusion
Spells that target Icebound Penguin cost an additional R or G to play.
2/3

I later submitted a land to support the new creature type:

Glacial Aviary
Land
T : Add 1 to your mana pool.
T : Target Penguin gains flying until end of turn.

However, it seems that a lack of Penguins in the set is leading to the probable dismissal of this entry. I quote from a recent post:

--This will be cut, since I presume there are not many Penguins.

But...what is this...hope?

As posted by FoundationOfRancor:

Glacial Aviary
This is cool...your right though, theres not that many penguins in the set. Unless you wanna go through and suggest penguin type for excisting blue cards, or make a helluva alot of penguin cards, this should be cut.

Well, I don't wanna step on toes by saying that existing cards should be penguins...it's a bizarre change to make, after all...but, well, here's the beginning of my attempt to solidify a penguin component in Subterfuge.

Critique, amend, or outright reject;)...

Watchpenguin
1U
Creature—Penguin
When Watchpenguin comes into play, choose either black or white. Watchpenguin has protection from the chosen color.
1/2

Squealing Penguin
U
Creature—Penguin
When Squealing Penguin comes into play, choose a color.
U, Sacrifice Squealing Penguin: Counter target spell of the chosen color unless its controller returns a creature he or she controls to its owner’s hand.
1/1

Arctic Scribe
2U
Creature—Penguin
2U, T: Target opponent reveals the top card of his or her library. If it is an instant or sorcery card, remove it from the game. Until end of turn, that opponent may play the card as if it were in his or her hand without paying its mana cost. Regardless of the card’s type, you draw a number of cards equal to the card’s converted mana cost, then discard a card from your hand.
1/2

Kraun, Penguin Emperor
1UU
Creature—Penguin Legend
When Kraun, Penguin Emperor comes into play, choose a color.
T: Return target permanent of the chosen color to its owner’s hand.
1/1

Hyperborean Traveler
1U
Creature—Penguin
When Hyperborean Traveler comes into play, draw a card for each Island your opponents control, then discard that many cards from your hand.
1/2

Iceberg Riders
1U
Creature—Penguin
During your upkeep, return an island you control to its owner’s hand or bury Iceberg Riders.
3/3

Please note: I realize I haven't been involved at all in the process, really...so please don't take offense. I just figured the penguins were worth a shot.

Thanks.

J

Jake74

I like the possibility of penguins... options are never bad.

Watchpenguin
looks solid

Squealing Penguin
I think this would be ok without the color restriction

Arctic Scribe
Looks good, but restrict it to only be playable during you opponent's main phase... otherwise they get nothing from it.

Kraun, Penguin Emperor
Again, the color restriction seems unneeded. maybe add an activation cost.

Hyperborean Traveler
Seems to strong if they have islands and useless if not...
needs something else. maybe just: draw 3, discard 3.

Iceberg Riders
nice blue beatdown...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

If we gave Kraun, Penguin Emperor an activation cost and took away the color distinction, it would end up being little more than a Temporal Adept. It's fine now.

J

Jake74

Originally posted by Thallid Ice Cream Man
If we gave Kraun, Penguin Emperor an activation cost and took away the color distinction, it would end up being little more than a Temporal Adept. It's fine now.
I noticed that, but he seems too weak to me... oh well.

S

Sammy Dead-O

Another one...

Penguin Martyr
U
U, T, Sacrifice Penguin Martyr: Search your library for a Penguin card and put it into play, then shuffle your library.
1/1

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

You know, I just realized that Icebound Penguin doesn't count as a Penguin. You might want to change that.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Im glad to throw in Penguins as a creature type...I think it'd be better to go through and edit excisting cards to Penguins (We have alot of cards...), but these other penguins are always an option.
My thoughts,

Watchpenguin
Looks great. Common.

Squealing Penguin
Interesting...Uncommon.

Arctic Scribe
Cut the draw card thing, Uncommon.

Kraun, Penguin Emperor
2UU, 2/1.

Hyperborean Traveler
Common.

Iceberg Riders
These are great. Uncommon.

Like I said, I would rather go through and make excisting cards Penguins. It'd be really easy, whenever a card is a merfolk, we can just change it (And change allcards that affect merfolk to penguins)

Sammy, do you wanna go through the blue cards with me and do that?

[Penguin Martyr is cool too! Common! -FoR]

S

Sammy Dead-O

Originally posted by FoundationOfRancor
Sammy, do you wanna go through the blue cards with me and do that?
I'd be happy to...I'll get right on it. I guess we should first figure out which of the blue creatures should become penguins...I'm sure some people would like to have some 'folk in the set, after all.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I'm only saying this again because I can't edit my previous post for some reason, and because I'm not sure if it got through to you...

Icebound Penguin is currently not a Penguin. Its creature type is Illusion. (Look at the original post.) This was probably OK before, but you will want to change it now that you have other cards that make references to Penguins.

S

Sammy Dead-O

Sorry I didn't acknowledge that before...you're right, TICM. Originally, it seemed good as an Illusion. I didn't think that the Penguin creature type was much of a possibility at the time. That'll be the first to get an edit. Thanks for pointing it out.:)