States in the eye of a casual player

B

Baron Sengir

Child and I just got back from playing in the South Dakota State Championships and let me tell you, it was not at all what I expected.

First off, I thought that the place would be overrun with cheesy Bargain or Wildfire decks. Quite the contrary. I played against a lot of really cool, sometimes odd decks that could be best described (for the most part) as casual.

One guy was playing a blue-green deck and of course my first thought is Squirrel Prison but it turned out to be some funky Rancor-Anthroplasm deck. My Smokestack deck crushed it even when he Splintered my Stacks but lord, that was a fun match. We were both laughing the whole time.

My record was 3-2 with a total of 7 wins and 5 losses. I placed eleventh. My only losses came against a blue deck with Fog Banks and Treacheries and a black deck that used Sengir Autocrat to get a second turn Delraich on me in the last two games of the match. I'll let Child tell you how he did.

All in all, I would have to say that there were no players with pro-player attitudes. Not a single one. Every person at this tourney was a casual player. I guess I should have expected that, since this IS South Dakota.
I didn't make the top eight for the prizes and sure got my ass handed to me a couple of times but I have never had so much fun playing magic in my life. I spent eleven hours playing Magic, trading for some brutal cards and having a killer time. Even when some jerkoff ripped ass in the crowded little game store I was having a great time. Let me tell you, that was one hell of a fart. It clung to you like one of those facehuggers from Alien and you couldn't escape it. I would hate to eat whatever that guy had for lunch.

This whole experience (unholy butt-gas and everything) has reaffirmed my faith in the magic community. There were no rules lawyers or dojo decks. I think I only ran across Masticore once and it didn't help the guy at all. Magic can still be fun, even if you're playing in a tourney. It's when you become a pro-player dickhead that the trouble starts.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
It's great you had a good time and all--but did you promote the CPA with all those casual players?

Anyway, how many people were there? And c'mon Child, how'd you do?

That's all I have to say about that, but I'd just like to bring people up to speed on the website happenings.

1. If you haven't checked it out, the WEBSITE is fully functional. http://www.casualplayers.org Please send in some articles if you have any!

2. The UBB is almost functional. Chuck and I managed to get an old version up and running, but I've added a ton of new features since then. I'll give a note and shut this one down when the new version is up. (Don't worry, all memberships and messages have/will be transferred over)

3. If anyone has any section they want included on the website, please leave a suggestion here. Thanx!

Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving! (well, all you Americans)

-mike

Ferret

Staff member
Hey Tony, that's good to hear! I remember reading last year's States Tourney Reports and most of them sounded like they were from "average Joe" Casual Players - who all got stomped at Nationals...but still, it's nice to know that many people can play in the "Big Ones" and still have the Casual Attitude...

-ferret

"Say Mike, why are we still mentionning New Wave on the website?"