Starting From Scratch!

R

Rakarth

As of yet I've been unable to find an opponent to test out my new decks but I went ahead and took the advice. I present the new RGB deck :D hehe, I took out the 4 Llanowar Elite and the Skyshroud Ridgeback and replaced them with 2 Swamps, 2 Vicious Kavu and Hate Weaver.

Vicious Kavu seems to fit well as its 1BR, 2/2 and has "Whenever Vicious Kavu attacks, it gets +2/+0 until the end of the turn".
Hate Weaver is only 1B and its ability to give Blue or Red Creatures +1/+0 for 2 of any mana means he should work with only two swamps in the deck.

Are two swamps enough as it seems I have a few cards that can produce the Black mana required to play all of these cards. Could I get away with no Swamps at all?

Rakarth

L

Limited

I wouldn't drop all your Swamps, it makes the deck very dependent on having mana-fixing creatures in play. Two seems about right, but mostly because the Quirion Trailblazer can look for them. Otherwise, I would add about four Swamps.

Let us know how the deck works out!

R

Rakarth

Just got back from uni yesterday and managed to play Magic pretty much straight away. I used the two decks posted above, my brother played the W/U deck and me the R/B/G.
R/B/G performed well (it won, you don't get much better :D ), I got several elves down who just created mana like there was no tomorrow, the Thunderscape and Thornscape Apprentices were useful in stopping blockers when i attacked with the smaller critters but then i got Ancient Hydra down and finished him off.

The W/U deck didn't do so well, it had no way of stopping me getting creatures down or preventing me making mana, or using the Apprentices abilities. None of the creatures my brother laid down were ever going to stop Ancient Hydra. This could have been a simple case of not the right card at the right time but I just had to change the decks :rolleyes:

I went out and bought Gizmometry, the Izzet guildpact deck from Ravnica and split it with my brother. I've concentrated on W/B with him taking a lot of the G/R cards and building his own deck, and this is what we've got (Note: they are both just over 60 cards and they will be tuned down to 60, any ideas and thoughts would be great):

R/G
4 Nomadic Elf
4 Quirion Trailblazer
3 Quirion Explorer
3 Kavu Scout
2 Rogue Kavu
2 Kavu Recluse
2 Norwood Ranger
2 Enormous Baloth
2 Yavimaya Barbarian
2 Voracious Cobra
1 Thicket Elemental
1 Elvish Champion
1 Serpentine Kavu
1 Kavu Chameleon

3 Pyromatics
2 Volcanic Hammer
1 Rain of Embers
1 Reroute
1 Stone Rain
1 Blanchwood Armour
1 Rampant Growth

12 Mountain
12 Forest

W/U

4 Ardent Soldier
2 Samite Pilgrim
2 Crimson Acolyte
2 Izzet Chronarch
2 Tidal Visionary
2 Obsidian Acolyte
2 Petrahydrox
2 Wee Dragonauts
2 Benalish Trapper
1 Sunscape Apprentice
1 Izzet Guildmage
1 Trickster Mage

2 Train of Thought
2 Convolute
2 Sacred Nectar
2 Telling Time
2 Vengeance
1 Index
1 Holy Day
1 Mark of Eviction

2 Izzet Boilerworks
2 Mountains
12 Plains
10 Island

I don't believe this deck has the potential to do that much damage but I'd like to know what any one here thinks before I change things again. I played against the deck above this one and got pretty hamered although mana never was a problem, just the creatures or spells to actually do any damage.
I'm actually considering dropping some of the lands as there seemed to be a bit of a manaflood going on but some more games will see if that wasn't just bad luck.

Thanks, Rakarth

L

Limited

Some remarks:
Why is there a lone stone rain in RG? Seems a bit random..
26 lands is a bit much.. I think you could easily drop a Plains and an Island and try to find the deck some large flyer!

R

Rakarth

I think we put in loads of enchantments and instants to compensate for the lack of them in the decks last time :rolleyes:

I started off in the W/U deck with 12 Plains and 12 Island but when the Izzet Chronarch and Guildmage came in I thought that some Mountain would be needed but nw that I look at the deck, there's nothing in there that really needs much mana. I think I could get away with droppin some more Islands/Plains andprobably making the deck focus on one thing more (any suggestions?).

For the White flyer, how about 3x Angel of Mercy? Gives me life and is not exactly weak :D

Thansk, Rakarth

L

Limited

Only Voidslime and Stifle can do that; they can counter a triggered ability..

but you can't prevent it from triggering (unless of course, Humility is in play)