Stack Reference

• Thread starter FoundationOfRancor
  • Start date
F

FoundationOfRancor

Ive seen a couple of cards that have been homemade created, that actually refer to the stack in their text. I dont know if its right or wrong, but no wizards card has ever been created doing so. So, I think cards like this:

CounterStack
1UU
Instant
Counter all cards on the stack

Can still be edited correctly. After thinking about it, I think this might work:
CounterStack
1UU
Instant
Counter all cards that are resolving.

Would that work?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Well, if I'm correct (probably not), your version of CounterStack would counter itself and nothing else.

As far as I know, only one spell resolves at a time; in this case, the spell would resolve, notice that it was resolving, and counter itself. That could cause problems.

CounterStack should probably read:

"Counter all other spells on the stack."
(We want to avoid problems with cards countering themselves; would problems with the rules happen that way?
For instance, you can't use a Misdirection on a Counterspell to make it counter itself, but you can make the Counterspell target the Misdirection. Why is that? Is that even true?)

It could even read "Counter all other spells," although that isn't much better and is probably a little worse.

Probably the reason that no cards have been made dealing specifically with the stack is that it hasn't existed for a while. I guess the designers assumed that expert players might not be interested in adapting to them, so they just didn't make any. However, that doesn't mean we can't use them.

Can anyone with a better (than mine, that is) understanding of the rules explain this?

D

DÛke

...lol...those don't sound right FoR.

Maybe it should be worded into something like "Counter all spells" or even "Counter all other spells", to avoid confusion.

It's the same with cards like Wrath of God: you don't see Wrath saying "Destroy all creature IN PLAY", just "Destroy all creatures".

It's a great idea, and I think it should be used. We don't have to wait until WotC come up with new stuff...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if the other "rules guys" check this forum out too much; Chaos Turtle used to, but he seems to have been busy lately.

FoR probably got the right reason for why WOTC hasn't made cards dealing with the stack: it's fairly new and if another rules change comes in the future, it might render the entire card obsolete and unusable (if not errata'd in a major way).

But I don't see anything really wrong with it.