Sports League Season 5, Week 5: Rokapoke vs. Melkor

Melkor

Untap, Upkeep (During my upkeep I will use the Scroll on the Pyromancer, revealing Soltari Emissary, I assume you ping me for 1 in response), Draw

Cast Sage Owl, done
Melkor: 4 3?
Hand: 1
Library: 25
Battlefield:

(T) (T) (T) Island x2
(T) (T) Plains x2
(U) Coastal Tower x1
(T) Cursed Scroll (3, T: Name a card. Reveal a card at random from your hand. If it's the named card, Cursed Scroll deals 2 damage to target creature or player.)
(U) Belltower Sphinx (2/5, Flying, whenever a source deals damage to ~, the sources controller mills that many cards)
(S) Sage Owl (1/1, Flying, when ~ comes into play, look at the top 4 cards of your library and put them back in any order)

Graveyard: Shinewend, Ward of Lights, Ephara's Enlightenment, Blade of the Sixth Pride, Revered Dead, Cancel, Whip-Spine Drake
Exile:

rokapoke: 7
Hand: 3
Library: 23
Battlefield:

(TUU) Forest x3
(TTU) Mountain x3

(U) Prodigal Pyromancer (1/1; Human Wizard; T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.) Dead?
(U) Locust Swarm (1/1; Insect; Flying G: Regenerate ~. G: Untap ~. Activate this ability only once each turn.)
(T) Spined Wurm (5/4; Wurm)
(S) Nessian Courser (3/3; Centaur Warrior)

Graveyard: Simoon, Anaba Shaman, Prodigal Pyromancer, Pitchburn Devils
Exile:

R

rokapoke

Your assumption was correct.

Untap, upkeep, draw.
Alpha strike.
Block/response?

Melkor: 3
Battlefield:

(T) (T) (T) Island x2
(T) (T) Plains x2
(U) Coastal Tower x1
(T) Cursed Scroll (3, T: Name a card. Reveal a card at random from your hand. If it's the named card, Cursed Scroll deals 2 damage to target creature or player.)
(U) Belltower Sphinx (2/5, Flying, whenever a source deals damage to ~, the sources controller mills that many cards)
(S) Sage Owl (1/1, Flying, when ~ comes into play, look at the top 4 cards of your library and put them back in any order)

Graveyard: Shinewend, Ward of Lights, Ephara's Enlightenment, Blade of the Sixth Pride, Revered Dead, Cancel, Whip-Spine Drake
Exile:

Hand: 4
Library: 22
Battlefield:

(UUU) Forest x3
(UUU) Mountain x3

(T) Locust Swarm (1/1; Insect; Flying G: Regenerate ~. G: Untap ~. Activate this ability only once each turn.)
(T) Nessian Courser (3/3; Centaur Warrior)

Graveyard: Simoon, Anaba Shaman, Prodigal Pyromancer, Pitchburn Devils, Prodigal Pyromancer
Exile:

R

rokapoke

1 damage to you from the unblocked Swarm.
Sage Owl dies a noble death.
Both Courser and Sphinx survive, and I mill 3 cards: Giant Growth, Lowland Basilisk, and Nyxborn Wolf.
Hobgoblin Dragoon.
Done.

Battlefield:

(T) (T) (T) Island x2
(T) (T) Plains x2
(U) Coastal Tower x1

Graveyard: Shinewend, Ward of Lights, Ephara's Enlightenment, Blade of the Sixth Pride, Revered Dead, Cancel, Whip-Spine Drake, Sage Owl
Exile:

Library: 19
Battlefield:

(TUU) Forest x3
(TTU) Mountain x3

(T) Locust Swarm (1/1; Insect; Flying G: Regenerate ~. G: Untap ~. Activate this ability only once each turn.)
(S) Hobgoblin Dragoon (1/2; Goblin Knight; Flying, first strike.)

Graveyard: Simoon, Anaba Shaman, Prodigal Pyromancer, Pitchburn Devils, Prodigal Pyromancer, Giant Growth, Lowland Basilisk, Nyxborn Wolf
Exile:

Melkor

Untap, Upkeep, Draw

Godhead of Awe, done

Library: 24
Battlefield:

(T) (T) (T) Island x2
(T) (T) Plains x2
(U) Coastal Tower x1
(U) Cursed Scroll (3, T: Name a card. Reveal a card at random from your hand. If it's the named card, Cursed Scroll deals 2 damage to target creature or player.)
(S) Godhead of Awe (4/4, Flying, all other creatures are 1/1)

Graveyard: Shinewend, Ward of Lights, Ephara's Enlightenment, Blade of the Sixth Pride, Revered Dead, Cancel, Whip-Spine Drake, Sage Owl
Exile:

Library: 19
Battlefield:

(TUU) Forest x3
(TTU) Mountain x3

(S) Hobgoblin Dragoon (1/2; Goblin Knight; Flying, first strike.)

Graveyard: Simoon, Anaba Shaman, Prodigal Pyromancer, Pitchburn Devils, Prodigal Pyromancer, Giant Growth, Lowland Basilisk, Nyxborn Wolf
Exile:

R

rokapoke

I apparently forgot to reduce your life from the last attack -- you should be at 2. Sorry about that.

Untap, upkeep, draw.
Attack with my army of 1/1s. Blocks/responses?

Melkor: 2
Library: 24
Battlefield:

(T) (T) (T) Island x2
(T) (T) Plains x2
(U) Coastal Tower x1
(U) Cursed Scroll (3, T: Name a card. Reveal a card at random from your hand. If it's the named card, Cursed Scroll deals 2 damage to target creature or player.)
(S) Godhead of Awe (4/4, Flying, all other creatures are 1/1)

Exile:

Hand: 4
Library: 18
Battlefield:

(UUU) Forest x3
(UUU) Mountain x3

(T) Hobgoblin Dragoon (1/2; Goblin Knight; Flying, first strike.)

Exile:

Melkor

In that case I would need to play my prior turn differently, as being at 3 life was a key assumption to my choices

R

rokapoke

In that case I would need to play my prior turn differently, as being at 3 life was a key assumption to my choices
Sorry about that. We can continue with you at 3, since that doesn't change MY strategy at this stage.

Melkor

The other card in my hand is a Soltari Emissary, so I would have cast that and then killed the Dragoon with the Scroll, so if you could still kill me, then I figure we're done here

R

rokapoke

Well, I'm holding Weapon Surge to Overload on my alpha strike. So I either get one 2/1 creature through with you at 2 life or two 2/1 creatures through with you at 3 life.

Either way, I take it with a last-gasp move. This was a close one! Good game. I'm pretty sure I had you on a bit of a mana screw, but I'll take the win any way I can get it.

Melkor

Yes, rokapoke is the winner. As it turned out, I might have won if I had blocked the Devils the first time; or if I'd just been willing to flip a coin with the Cursed Scroll earlier