Sports League Season 5, Week 2: Spidey vs. Rokapoke

R

rokapoke

Untap, upkeep, draw.
Attack with Slinger for 2. I will assume there are no responses.
Spined Wurm.
Done.

Rokapoke: 18
Hand: 4
Library: 27
Battlefield:

(TTT) Forest x3
(TT) Mountain x2

(T) Ghitu Slinger (2/2; Human Nomad; Echo 2R. When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.)
(S) Spined Wurm (5/4; Wurm)

Graveyard: Giant Growth, Prodigal Pyromancer
Exile:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spiderman: 16
Hand: 3
Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Plains x3
(T,T,T) Swamp x3

(U) Sword of the Meek (Equipped creature gets +1/+2.; Equip 2.; Whenever a 1/1 creature ETB under my control, I may return ~ from my graveyard to the battlefield, then attach it to that creature).
(T) Trigon of Corruption (~ ETB w/three charge ctrs on it.; BB, T: Put a charge ctr on ~.; 2, T, Remove a charg ctr from ~: Put a -1/-1 ctr on target creature) *2 charge ctrs*

Graveyard: Suture Spirit, Skyhunter Prowler
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Correct.

Untap, upkeep, draw.

Plains
Akrasan Squire
Equip the Sword to him
Done.

Battlefield:

(TTT) Forest x3
(TT) Mountain x2

(T) Ghitu Slinger (2/2; Human Nomad; Echo 2R. When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.)
(S) Spined Wurm (5/4; Wurm)

Exile:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hand: 2
Library: 26
Battlefield:

(T,T,U,U) Plains x4
(T,U,U) Swamp x3

(U) Sword of the Meek (Equipped creature gets +1/+2.; Equip 2.; Whenever a 1/1 creature ETB under my control, I may return ~ from my graveyard to the battlefield, then attach it to that creature).
(U) Trigon of Corruption (~ ETB w/three charge ctrs on it.; BB, T: Put a charge ctr on ~.; 2, T, Remove a charg ctr from ~: Put a -1/-1 ctr on target creature) *2 charge ctrs*

(S) Akrasan Squire (2/3 from Sword; Exalted) *Equipped w/Sword*

Exile:

R

rokapoke

Untap, upkeep, draw.
Mountain.
Attack with Wurm.
Block/response?

Battlefield:

(UUU) Forest x3
(UUU) Mountain x3

(U) Ghitu Slinger (2/2; Human Nomad; Echo 2R. When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.)
(T) Spined Wurm (5/4; Wurm)

Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,T,U,U) Plains x4
(T,U,U) Swamp x3

(U) Trigon of Corruption (~ ETB w/three charge ctrs on it.; BB, T: Put a charge ctr on ~.; 2, T, Remove a charg ctr from ~: Put a -1/-1 ctr on target creature) *2 charge ctrs*

Exile:

R

rokapoke

5 damage to you, sir.
Nessian Courser.
Done.

Battlefield:

(TTU) Forest x3
(TUU) Mountain x3

(U) Ghitu Slinger (2/2; Human Nomad; Echo 2R. When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.)
(S) Nessian Courser 2G (3/3; Centaur Warrior)

Exile:
Spiderman: 11
Battlefield:

(T,T,U,U) Plains x4
(T,U,U) Swamp x3

Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
EOT, put a -1/-1 ctr on the Courser

Untap, upkeep, draw

Swamp
Death-Head Buzzard

Done

Battlefield:

(TTU) Forest x3
(TUU) Mountain x3

(S) Nessian Courser 2G (2/2 from ctr; Centaur Warrior) *1 -1/-1 ctr*

Exile:
Hand: 1
Library: 25
Battlefield:

(T,U,U,U) Plains x4
(T,T,U) Swamp x4

(U) Trigon of Corruption (~ ETB w/three charge ctrs on it.; BB, T: Put a charge ctr on ~.; 2, T, Remove a charg ctr from ~: Put a -1/-1 ctr on target creature) *1 charge ctr*

(U) Akrasan Squire (2/3 from Sword; Exalted) *Equipped w/Sword*
(S) Death-Head Buzzard (2/1; Flying; When ~ dies, all creatures get -1/-1 ueot)

Exile:

R

rokapoke

Untap, upkeep, draw.
Attack with everything.
Blocks/responses?

Battlefield:

(UUU) Forest x3
(UUU) Mountain x3

(T) Nessian Courser 2G (2/2 from ctr; Centaur Warrior) *1 -1/-1 ctr*

Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,U,U,U) Plains x4
(T,T,U) Swamp x4

(U) Trigon of Corruption (~ ETB w/three charge ctrs on it.; BB, T: Put a charge ctr on ~.; 2, T, Remove a charg ctr from ~: Put a -1/-1 ctr on target creature) *1 charge ctr*

(U) Akrasan Squire (2/3 from Sword; Exalted) *Equipped w/Sword*
(S) Death-Head Buzzard (2/1; Flying; When ~ dies, all creatures get -1/-1 ueot)

Exile:

R

rokapoke

In response to your blocker declarations, I will cast Simoon, dealing 1 damage to your creatures and popping the Buzzard's trigger.

R

rokapoke

So the Buzzard dies and all creatures get -1/-1.

Anyway, the 1/2 Squire dies to the 4/3 Wurm (unless you have any fast effects to apply).
The 1/1 Slinger smacks you for 1 damage.
Is the Courser still considered blocked? It's not super important, I suppose, but it's still the difference between 1 damage to you and 2.

Anaba Shaman.

Done.

Battlefield:

(TTT) Forest x3
(TTT) Mountain x3

(S) Anaba Shaman (2/2; Minotaur Shaman; R, T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.)

Graveyard: Giant Growth, Prodigal Pyromancer, Simoon
Exile:
Spiderman: 10 (9?)
Battlefield:

(T,U,U,U) Plains x4
(T,T,U) Swamp x4

Graveyard: Suture Spirit, Skyhunter Prowler, Death-Head Buzzard, Akrasan Squire
Exile:

Melkor

My understanding is that you can't respond directly to the declaring of blockers because the declaration process doesn't use the stack; you have to do your fast effects either before or after.

R

rokapoke

That sounds good. I wish I cast that before combat then, but at least I get it now. Just 1 damage to you, Spidey.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I actually thought you were casting it during the During Blockers step since you had priority first and had just kinda "mistyped" the "In response to Declaring Blockers". :)

However, I don't see why you can't cast it before combat as it just says "~ deals 1 dmg to each creature target opponent controls." It doesn't say anything about having to cast it just during the Combat phase.

So if you want to do that, before your Declare Attackers step (either in response to your Declaring Combat or even before Combat period), or even during the Declare Attackers step, before I Declare Blockers, that's fine with me.

R

rokapoke

Nope, I will stick with the timing as it happened -- I hope to learn from this, and it still accomplishes what I hoped for (wiping out your side, barring any combat trickery on your part).

So the unblocked Slinger gets you, while the "blocked" Courser sort of entertains himself to no gain.

Thanks for the offer of the re-timing, though.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I do have a little trickery :) After Simoon and the Buzzard resolves so still During Blockers step, I'll use the last ctr on the Trigon to put a -1/-1 ctr on the Slinger. So barring any responses from you, he'll die and I won't take any damage, right?

R

rokapoke

Indeed. The Slinger is now done for, so no damage is done (though your Squire still bites it). I've restored your life to its pre-combat level of 11 accordingly.

Anaba Shaman.

Done.

Battlefield:

(TTT) Forest x3
(TTT) Mountain x3

(S) Anaba Shaman (2/2; Minotaur Shaman; R, T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.)

Graveyard: Giant Growth, Prodigal Pyromancer, Simoon, Ghitu Slinger
Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,U) Plains x4
(T,T,U) Swamp x4

(T) Trigon of Corruption (~ ETB w/three charge ctrs on it.; BB, T: Put a charge ctr on ~.; 2, T, Remove a charg ctr from ~: Put a -1/-1 ctr on target creature) *0 charge ctrs*

Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
All righty.

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Detainment Spell on your Shaman

Done

Battlefield:

(TTT) Forest x3
(TTT) Mountain x3

(S) Anaba Shaman (2/2; Minotaur Shaman; R, T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.) *Detained*

Exile:
Library: 24
Battlefield:

(T,U,U,U) Plains x4
(U,U,U,U) Swamp x4

Detainment Spell (Enchanted creature's activated abilities can't be activated.; 1W: Attach ~ to target creature)

(U) Trigon of Corruption (~ ETB w/three charge ctrs on it.; BB, T: Put a charge ctr on ~.; 2, T, Remove a charg ctr from ~: Put a -1/-1 ctr on target creature) *0 charge ctrs*

Exile:

R

rokapoke

Untap, upkeep, draw.
Attack with all 3.
Responses?

Battlefield:

(UUUForest x3
(UUUMountain x3

(T) Anaba Shaman (2/2; Minotaur Shaman; R, T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.) *Detained*

Exile:
Battlefield:

(T,U,U,U) Plains x4
(U,U,U,U) Swamp x4

Detainment Spell (Enchanted creature's activated abilities can't be activated.; 1W: Attach ~ to target creature)

(U) Trigon of Corruption (~ ETB w/three charge ctrs on it.; BB, T: Put a charge ctr on ~.; 2, T, Remove a charg ctr from ~: Put a -1/-1 ctr on target creature) *0 charge ctrs*

Exile: