Split Cards: Your thoughts?

F

FoundationOfRancor

I dont like them. There two cards in one, but I dont know why they just ddint make it one card with an option of two abilities. Like a charm. I dunno, your thoughts?

H

Hetemti

Sucks.

Sucks hard.

Just from an art perspective, it looks queer. Remeber Choking Vines? Distorted art is wrong.

Also, you should be able to read the cards from an upright position. Remeber how WotC wanted to redesign the cards saying, "It would make them easier to read when fanned." Yeah, turning them frikkin sideways to read them is easier, too.

Couldn't they come up with something more interesting...make them Purple! Have the textbox split horizontally and put each casting cost and ability in it's own box. That would rock. This just sucks.

M

mogg bomber

Well there already is a post about them(it's pretty far down the list now though) but here's what I think. People are getting upset for no reason. There is nothing wrong with these(I've seen people claim they're quitting magic over this:confused: ) Saying you don't like them because of the way the card is set up is almost like saying you don't like a card because of it's art. If you don't like them because you think they're bad cards that's fine, but don't hate them just based on the card set up. Without change Magic would grow boring, with this new twist in the game, there is a better chance for innovation(just imagine what some of these in future sets could do!)

S

sageridder

Guess it depends on how you play them.If you have to choose effect a or b,put a marker on which half and it cannot be taken back.Than maybe not so bad,allmost in that senerio gives a 60 card deck an extra card?I am reserving judgement untill i know more.

N

Namielus

I think its a neat idea, and it is pretty smart for wizards to do, everyone remebers those charms from a while back? well these cards look to be just like them except they do completely unrelated things, thats soo sweet.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Im gonna go with Hetemti on this one...

mogg bomber: Im not upset about these new cards, and I certainly am not going to quit magic over them! But (as the big H pointed out) they seem hard to read and stuff. I cant help but wonder if it would be easier to make it one card or to use hetemti's suggestion...

D

Darsh

I just found these on MTGnews.com

Stand/Deliver
Stand: W, Instant
Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature this turn.
Deliver: 2U, Instant
Return target permanent to its owner's hand.
292 David Martin

Pain/Suffering
Pain: B, Sorcery, Target player discards a card from his or her hand.
Suffering: 3R, Sorcery, Destroy target land.
294 David Martin

Wax/Wane
Wax: G, Instant, Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
Wane: W, Instant, Destroy target enchantment.
296 Ben Thompson

Neil wrote: "They are all uncommon, and the artist is the same for both halfs of the card. There is no flavor text."

The other two are called:

Assault/Battery - Red and Green
Spite/Malice - Blue and Black

By looking at the uncut sheet, there has been an educated guess that Spite/Malice is
Spite U Counter target enchantment spell.
Malice 2B Destroy target nonblack creature.

It said you can only choose one, these are somewhat like the old charms but multicolor(I like the old charms better)

See all the information here http://www.mtgnews.com/story/569/1/1/1/

E

ErinPuff

I personally don't like the idea, but who knows, I may open a pack of Invasion, get one of those cards, and be half-crazy with "OMG! THIS IS SO COOOOOOOOOOL!"-ness..

A

Apollo

I don't like it. If you have to turn your hand sideways to read a card, your opponent is gonna know what it is, and that hurts you strategically. I think this is just poorly designed, and a crummy idea just taking off the charms. At least they aren't very good, so I won't have to worry about ever using them except in limited.

These are gonna look screwy in foil.

F

Fire Slinger

So what are these spilt cards? I tryed going to the MTGnews site and it wouldn't load. :(

P

Purple_jester

Okay. The idea is sound, but an update on MTGnews regarding the rules governing these cards had me all muddled. According to that, if you cast Pain (the red half of Pain/Suffering) then it can't be targeted by spells which target red spells, like Hydroblast.

EHH?! Whay not? Last I heard, a spell with red mana in the casting cost was still a red spell, by any stretch? I think that the one who provided that update is himself confused, but I don't know. I expect stumper pages to swell due to these cards.

And is the art going to be distorted or was it made to occupy half a card? I don't like distorted art either. Aesthetically, these cards are going to be ugly.

On the other hand, such confusion and distaste aside, it's a good mechanic. This type of spell rewards multi-color users without constraining them to having to use more than one type of mana. It will lessen the suffering of having a land draw of, say, only mountains when you have black spells in hand. Now, you can cast the red half of the spell without paying attention to the black half. A player with a R/B spell with two possible effects (like Pillage or Befoul) would be unable to use that card until a black mana source popped up. These cards have a great potential for abuse and should be watched. ;)

E

ErinPuff

My opponent will never know when I am playing with those cards... I can read sideways! :D (and backwards, and upside down..)

Z

Zadok001

I'm really suprised by this. I never would have thought these cards would be real. Ya' know, it's kinda silly... That could have been done just as well with wording in the text box.

For example:

Pain and Suffering
B
Instant
Target player discards a card from his or her hand if you paid B as the casting cost of Pain and Suffering.

You may pay 3R instead of Pain and Suffering's casting cost, if you do so, destroy target land.

Bing. Instant double-card. And probably better this way, too. No strange art, no reading the card sideways at the prerelease, no annoyingly distorted card edges...

A

Almindhra

I just want to say I love Pain and Suffering...( no, no, the card )...I have some great visions of black/red dancing in my little head...And thats definately going to be in my deck...Yes, the card will most likely look funny and retarded...But its two cards in one!...Either this or that...Whatever you'd rather play...In your hand...8 cards instead of 7...How great is that?...I'm going to have myself a neat discard deck...Ok...Don't want to give away all my evil ideas...

C

Chaos Turtle

I think you may have misunderstood, Purple Jester.

The way split cards work is that they are multicolored everywhere except on the stack, where they are the color of whichever spell you chose.

Thus, playing Pain (the black side, btw) means Pain/Suffering is black while on the stack.

More interesting is what happens when a converted mana cost is called for.

If an effect says "What's Pain/Suffering's CMC?" The game will tell it "5" since that is the total CMC (1 + 4).
So Pyromancy would deal 5 damage if you discard Pain/Suffering to it.

If an effect wants to know "Is this spell's CMC equal to X?" Then X would have to be either 1 or 4 (but not 5) for the game to say "Yes" regarding Pain/Suffering.
This would apply to an effect like Void, which affects spells with a CMC equal to a certain number.

By the way, Zadok, you'd have to add, "Pain/Suffering is multicolored unless it is on the stack, in which case it's black if you paid B or red if you paid 3R." :p
Does that help? :)

P

Purple_jester

For amoment there I thought I was getting cross-eyed or something. Thanks CT! ;)

BTW, are you sure about the x + y converted mana cost? have they made any psecific declarations on that, or is it somewhere in the basic rules and I didn't see it?

D

dw51688

x+y. Haha, sounds like algebra. I bet next you will have to add, and multiply polynomials and binomials and stuff for casting costs and they will replace X damage. HAHA. Think about it.

N

nodnarb24

Math problem
RBGUW
Instant
deal x damage to target creature or player where x=negative b plus or minus the square root of b squared minus 4 times a times c all divided by 2 time a. a equal the coefficent of the squared variable, b equals the coefficent of the variable, and c equals the constant.

"confused yet"
-the math teacher

I'll give a prize to whoever can quess the equation i'm describing.

[Edited by nodnarb24 on September 22nd, 2000 at 07:42 PM]

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Nodnarb, it was slightly cruel to ask these people to spend their free time deciphering your long-winded description of the discriminant of quadratic equations. I have horrible memories...

My algrebra teacher assigned two sheets of homework every day... it was scary. I hope to never do that again.