Spidey were art thou...

N

Nightstalkers

Thanks to the Ferret, i just got an idea;

A philosophy thread/forum/chat/irc/kcy/yme.

whatta ya think about that, dog.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Nightstalkers
Thanks to the Ferret, i just got an idea;

A philosophy thread/forum/chat/irc/kcy/yme.

whatta ya think about that, dog.
It's not a bad idea...DUke would love it :)

-Ferret

"We could throw in religion as well as other undefineable topics"

N

Nightstalkers

are you being sarcastic or is it just me?

I can't tell anymore because of this stupid computer that I think is trying to stop me from getting out of this place...

What dreams may come beyond the mortal coil? Spacial and theoretical science will tell if I am right.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, my opinion is that it's not needed as those sort of things tend to die out after a while and there's only really one big thread (and now a little one started by Ferret) that really cover it.

I guess though to treat it like the TV threads and see what the demand is and then create a forum if it needs it.

T

train

The TV threads aren't doing too bad...

If they did well enough - I think it would be convenient to include Movies, Television, and the sort in one forum... They're all something we watch...

If they do well enough...:rolleyes: :cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
There's what, four total now? And no one's really posted in them except for their initial burst of what everyone watches - no one really discusses and keeps them going...

E

EricBess

Spidey, I think (hope) that what train means is that we have one additional forum for "entertainment" that covers TV, Movies, etc.

I agree about the fact that there was an initial burst and now it is either dying down or redirecting it's focus into actual discussion about some of the shows.

I don't care if we end up with another forum or not, but I think its premature to dismiss it yet.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know, but my experience with it is that they don't stay active enough to really warrant a separate forum. At least that's the case on another site I visit, where the primary focus is a certain computer game and there's little "off-topic" forums like Movies/TV, Games, Books, and Music (that's four separate ones). Except for Games, they're hardly touched with one or two threads "active" in the Last 10 Days View.

This is all an experiment anyway; I just choose to believe I know the outcome :p

T

train

It's that Spider Sense isn't it...

makes you "sense" things...:p

In all honesty... I could do with or without the forum - and i can see it doing well, or busting... what matters is that people realize this can be more of a topic... and we share TV shows as an interest, just like most of us share Magic...

on that note - I also have an interest in bathing... anyone not having an interest in bathing - please go to another site and stay there...

I never got the feeling this was just a gaming site... it's always been more of a "relax" site...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think most everyone has other interests, it's just that (aside from the "oldies" who have mostly gone over this stuff), no one really feels the need to bring them up. I think it's because of the lack of Magic that you naturally start thinking of other things to talk about and all this stuff comes to mind.

Out of curiosity, do other Magic sites such as StarCity or MTGNews have a lot of Magic talk and off-topic stuff?

I like bathing too and like Dove soap :p

T

train

Out of curiosity, do other Magic sites such as StarCity or MTGNews have a lot of Magic talk and off-topic stuff?
In all honesty, nothing but MTG.com and here catch my eye long enough to keep me interested...

"I don't care how close the final match of the tourney was - what deck won... thanks for the deck list - now I can build against it for the next local tourney... " That's about the jist of it...

As for thinking of other stuff... this is a casual site, and Magic is the core - actually the enjoyment of playing the game is... but knowing we all have so many different interests, and talking about them is what makes this site unique...

No other MTG site I know of has a Political thread that is bombarded by philosophy. To have an outlet like that - though it's a little off-topic, is a big neon Welcome sign to "Magic is not our entire universe at this site!"...

So it is nice to have the flexibility of free discussion!:D ;)

N

Nightstalkers

on that note - I also have an interest in bathing... anyone not having an interest in bathing - please go to another site and stay there...
Have them go to mtgcraft.com , they need to take a bath :D

The craft has a bunch of people who talk about everything but magic it seems... (Thats why I was banned there :()

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman
I think most everyone has other interests, it's just that (aside from the "oldies" who have mostly gone over this stuff), no one really feels the need to bring them up. I think it's because of the lack of Magic that you naturally start thinking of other things to talk about and all this stuff comes to mind.

I like bathing too and like Dove soap :p
When I fisit FFInsider's forums there's lots of discussions about Final Fantasy, but a lot more about non-FF related titles. Trust me: if you encourage these threads and give them a little love they could do really well...

-Ferret

"...just like Roses they need a little work..."

N

Nightstalkers

While encouraging the threads you could encourage the growth of this website. Something to think about.

TIA for what your going to do for me in the future...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How many active members would you say does the FF forums have? I mean, I thinking 10-15 here (that's people who post every day, if you count in more than one thread, probably closer to 7-10).

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman
How many active members would you say does the FF forums have? I mean, I thinking 10-15 here (that's people who post every day, if you count in more than one thread, probably closer to 7-10).
Good question - they do have a lot of semi-active users but those users rarely stay long and post nothing but garbage...however, I would say they have about 10-20 rather longwinded users...and, of course their admins have a tendency to post a lot as well to help keep things going...

-Ferret

"I know our other admins are around...now, if we could just motivate them!"

T

train

"You hold them down... and I'll go get the Feather of Laughter":eek: ;)

N

Nightstalkers

In management you find that you will have to sit through countless hours of "motivational" classes that teach you absolutely nothing whatsoever if you don't listen to them.

but that is just the corporate big shots way...

"Try to give them something exciting that people will want to see and do" - Rules of the Net

While you might want to follow that quote to the letter and not waver from the course that you have set this forum and others in, you will find that it will become increasingly harder not to kick off the older threads that started the forums going. Thanks to Ed and Spiderman, this forum has not become as corrupt as, oh say, mtgnews.com with their mirad twists and turns of nothing but threads and stupid folders of complete and utter drivel. Now I'm not stating that this place should become as glamorous as the news, just stating that you should do something like wizards' weekly theme's or something to attract attention. For the love of pete! give us something like a real game where you can get a prize for goodness sake.

Outta the earth and into your computer at last,
Nightstalker #000001

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's the problem - I don't think the people here want to attract attention. train had a little contest a while back with some Serra Angels as prizes... I don't think he got much of a response. SeFRo proposed a writing contest with actual Magic cards as prizes (I know, I have them) and not much interest there.

If you want to start something up though, be my guest.

N

Nightstalkers

remember that thnkyou I gave you earlier?

Thanx for bringing up haveing more links with the other admins!