Spidey vs Oversoul

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw, Naturalize one of the Cursed Scrolls, Done.

Spidey: 9

Library: 48
Hand: 5
Play:

(T, U) Treetop Villagex2
(T) Spawning Pool
(U) Swamp

Grave: Barter in Blood, Naturalize
RFG: --

Oversoul: 19

Library: 49
Hand: 1
Play:

(U, U) Taigax2
(U) Mountain
(U) Barbarian Ring
(U) Cursed Scroll

Grave: Kird Ape, Grim Lavamancer, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt, Cursed Scroll

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EOT: tap both Taigas and the Mountain for RRR, tap Cursed Scroll targeting you and name Fireblast, which is the only card in my hand (Ooh, how do we do Cursed Scroll if I have multiple cards in hand though?) for 2 damage to you.

Untap, draw, tap Mountain to play Cursed Scroll. Done.

Spidey: 7

Hand: 5
Play:

(T, U) Treetop Villagex2
(T) Spawning Pool
(U) Swamp

Oversoul: 19

Play:

(U, U) Taigax2
(U) Mountain
(U) Barbarian Ring
(U, U) Cursed Scrollx2

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
About the multiple Cursed Scrolls - we can do the honor system and you assign your cards in hand a number and I'll pick one, or we can choose an outside person to do it. Doesn't matter to me :)

Untap, upkeep, draw, Swamp, Consume Spirit you for 2, Done.

Spidey: 9

Library: 47
Hand: 4
Play:

(T, U) Treetop Villagex2
(T) Spawning Pool
(T, T) Swampx2

Oversoul: 17

Play:

(U, U) Taigax2
(U) Mountain
(U) Barbarian Ring
(U, U) Cursed Scrollx2

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EOT: tap both Taigas and my Mountain for Cursed Scroll on you again, naming Fireblast again, which is still the only card in my hand.

Untap, draw, done.

Spidey: 7

Hand: 4
Play:

(T, U) Treetop Villagex2
(T) Spawning Pool
(T, T) Swampx2

Grave: Barter in Blood, Naturalize, Consume Spirit

Oversoul: 17

Hand: 2
Play:

(U, U) Taigax2
(U) Mountain
(U) Barbarian Ring
(U, U) Cursed Scrollx2

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, draw, Tainted Wood, Comsume Spirit you for 3, Done.

Spidey: 10

Library: 46
Hand: 3
Play:

(T, U) Treetop Villagex2
(T) Spawning Pool
(T, T) Swampx2
(T) Tainted Wood

Grave: Barter in Blood, Naturalize, Consume Spiritx2

Oversoul: 14

Hand: 2
Play:

(U, U) Taigax2
(U) Mountain
(U) Barbarian Ring
(U, U) Cursed Scrollx2

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EOT: Tap Mountain and both Taigas to Cursed Scroll you naming Fireblast again. Both cards in my hand are Fireblast.

Untap, upkeep, draw. Play a third Taiga. Tap all three Taigas and my Mountain to float RRRR, sacrifice a Mountain and a Taiga to Fireblast you for four, I now have threshold (eight cards are in my graveyard at this point) so I'll use one of my red mana with my untapped Barbarian Ring's ability and sac it to deal two damage to you, then I'll use my remaining RRR with Cursed Scroll naming Fireblast pointed at you again. Does that kill you?

Spidey: 0?

Hand: 3
Play:

(T, U) Treetop Villagex2
(T) Spawning Pool
(T, T) Swampx2
(T) Tainted Wood

Grave: Barter in Blood, Naturalize, Consume Spiritx2

Oversoul: 14

Play:

(T, T) Taigax2
(T, U) Cursed Scrollx2

Grave: Kird Ape, Grim Lavamancer, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Bolt, Cursed Scroll, Taiga, Mountain, Fireblast, Barbarian Ring

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Whew, yeah. Good game.

I think the deck needs some more early defense, but not sure how to accomplish that to keep it "creatureless", aside from the Edicts. Apparently most of the effects are around 4 cc. I guess that wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't facing burn deck.

Maybe Dark Rituals or more mana acceleration...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, it's a bit on the slow side (at least compared to the RG Sligh deck I was piloting). First game I wasn't too worried (you got off to a slow enough start that I figured I could finish you off, which was exactly what happened). Second game, by all rights I should have lost after you Bartered, but I had mad topdecks.

Does it have Contagion? I don't know if that would help or not, but it seems like it would...

This thing seems like it would cause no end of trouble to a slow blue control deck like Forbidian or Draw-Go. Not to surprising when you think about who came up with it... :rolleyes:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, the lifeloss would be dangerous against aggro maybe, but it could thin the deck a bit and automatically put a Bayou in play...

I don't know whether contagion would help or not. It's tough to tell.

Thinking laterally, what about Abyssal Gatekeeper?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what you mean by "laterally". If it means moving beyond the creatureless card theme, then they'd probably be an excellect addition.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
What I mean is that I think it could work as some weird tech against creature-based strategies. It's not much as attackers go, clearly (that's what Village is for though). It acts both as a nice blocker and a creature kill mechanism when it dies. Then again, I don't remember how many creature kill cards are already in the deck. Barter in Blood is excellent, but costly. Something for the early game could save you (and indeed it might have done just that in either game we played here).

Lateral thinking...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, yeah, but I thought we were still operating under the contraints of keeping it "creatureless", which was the whole point of the deck. If you start adding creatures, anything goes and it basically becomes a new deck. That's why I asked
I think the deck needs some more early defense, but not sure how to accomplish that to keep it "creatureless", aside from the Edicts.
Could add Chainer's Edict, though it's a Sorcery. Could even go as far as to add Weakness :eek: Or as I thought before, some mana acceleration to help cast the higher stuff earlier.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I thought the idea behind the creaturelessness was originally to make it a deck that could handle itself combatitively, yet was largely immune to permanent destruction cards (except LD, which is a weakness that can't really be overcome).

Adding Abyssal Gatekeeper would be adding a creature without making it a different deck, since it the Gatekeeper's sole purpose is to kill other creatures when it dies (it is especially good with Innocent Blood, by the way). That's why I called it lateral thinking.

I'm not sure that Gatekeeper would work all that well though. It was just an idea...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
As I understood it, it was "creatureless" because that was the design constraints put on the tourney from the thread that originated all of this: no creature spells were allowed. So yeah, if you want to break those contraints in the first place, it would be "lateral thinking". But to me, that's just akin to playing in a Standard tourney using a Vintage card.

Not sure what the original intent behind the idea was, but if it was to try to get rid of creatures altogether, then SeFRo's idea of token generators would have been "lateral thinking". And I guess using man-lands.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Spiderman
As I understood it, it was "creatureless" because that was the design constraints put on the tourney from the thread that originated all of this: no creature spells were allowed. So yeah, if you want to break those contraints in the first place, it would be "lateral thinking". But to me, that's just akin to playing in a Standard tourney using a Vintage card.

Not sure what the original intent behind the idea was, but if it was to try to get rid of creatures altogether, then SeFRo's idea of token generators would have been "lateral thinking". And I guess using man-lands.
Okay, okay. Then just forget Abyssal Gatekeeper if it's such a bad idea. It just seemed to me that it would be good obstacle to slow aggro down. But it seems it was a much more horrible idea than I could have anticipated, so forget it...

What about Innocent Blood though?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Istanbul: Good suggestions, but they suffer from the general problem of the deck facing aggro: they cost too much in for the early game.

Oversoul: Now that looks like a possibility. I think the sorcery type would be worth it if I can cast it a turn earlier.

Should I actually try to overhaul this deck and play again? I'm not sure train was thinking Vintage or he might have included stuff like Sol Ring and dual lands. Heh, this is probably when we need Apprentice and play full time games to actually test this deck: Vintage format vs your deck (I assume its Vintage?) and whatever format it's in now vs your deck, seeing if it can handle it either way.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well no, the deck I used was RG Sligh for the old Type 1.5, which is still legal in the new version of 1.5 anyway...

I don't see how a solid Vintage version of this deck could be made, but overhauling it with Vintage cards would definitely make it better (the same can be said for any deck).

Fetchlands and Bayous would improve it (although those are also Raisin legal cards, and not strictly Vintage).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I could try overhauling it a bit for a general first game and then try sideboarding additional stuff against an aggro deck (I didn't sideboard for those first games). If you're up to playing again.