Spammers

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It has come to my attention that at least one user here was spammed by email from someone who saw their profile here. If this has happened to anyone else (or if it does happen), let me know so I can delete the spammers.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to reply to Shabbaman's post from the latest spammer thread:
It's awesome. By the way, there's an option in vbulletin to keep bots like these out. There are human verification tests that keep most of them out, but the best method is email verification. The failsafe method is to do a manual verification of those that pass the email verification. Not practical for big fora, but with the number of real signups CPA gets it shouldn't be a problem. It works for my forum
We do have all of that. If we didn't, you'd see ALOT more spam than that one :) I just took a risk with this one, thinking it might be legit.

T

train

But he's got free candy.. what the heck is wrong with that...:D

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I think it's possible to set forum rights for members with a minimal number of posts. For instance, you can't email members until you have 10 posts. That way people have a way to prove they are legit ;) Personally I don't see the benefit of emailing members (by other users than the administrator): there's private messaging for that.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I couldn't find an option but it may be in a newer version of vBulletin - we're several versions behind here. I *can* turn off the email option from member to member, so I'll do that since I don't think anyone uses that option, correct?

T

train

i think I've used the option before... but mainly PMs... If I need an outside email address - I usually ask for that...

D

DarthFerret

I have never used vBulletin before, but am fairly well versed in phpBB. In that format, there are options for almost everything, however you have to be the main Admin to do any of it. There are options for limits on users based on post count (essentially automated movement of group and permissions based on post count)... As well as a myriad of other options. I have recently set up such a system on a website that I co-developed for my online game that I play (yes, I am a World of Warcraft nerd, dont judge me). The forums were actually a small part of the site, however for setup and permissions, security, etc, it is the largest part of the ACP.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I can't imagine this wouldn't have that type of thing either, but we're several versions behind... in the 3.x while the main version is in the 4.x. But I guess we don't need or use ALL of that functionality for now.