Space Cyber-Mummy Librarian [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Despite my misgivings, Warhammer 40,000 precons have arrived. Frustratingly, they're really quite good. The art direction is spectacular, the flavor is cogent, the reprints are decent, and the new cards are generally powerful. I was going to steer clear of this release entirely, but am weak-willed and I relented. I blame myself. Also, I blame the necrons! This mono-black artifact deck is amazing. I'm a sucker for Ancient Egyptian stuff, and the Tomb Kings from the Warhammer universe are a fun, silly take on Egyptian themes. The necrons are the even sillier space-faring analog in the 40K setting. They're like cyber mummies and Trazyn is their librarian.

The precon in its original glory is pretty nice. My version is a dumb combo deck because unlike the necrons, I am dead inside. Wait, what?

Commander
1 Trazyn the Infinite

1 Ancient Tomb
1 Anrakyr the Traveller
1 Arcbound Ravager
1 Basalt Monolith
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Bolas's Citadel
1 Buried Alive
1 Buried Ruin
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Chronomancer
1 Cloud Key
1 Cranial Plating
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Cryptothrall
1 Culling the Weak
1 Damnation
1 Dark Ritual
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Dread Return
1 Entomb
1 Ever After
1 Farmstead Gleaner
1 Foundry Inspector
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Grim Monolith
1 Illuminor Szeras
1 Inkmoth Nexus
1 Inventors' Fair
1 Jhoira's Familiar
1 Junk Diver
1 Krark-Clan Ironworks
1 Kuldotha Forgemaster
1 Lake of the Dead
1 Lion's Eye Diamond
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Vault
1 Manifold Key
1 Memory Jar
1 Metalworker
1 Mishra's Workshop
1 Mox Diamond
1 Mox Opal
1 Myr Retriever
1 Mystic Forge
1 Necropotence
1 Nim Deathmantle
1 Phyrexian Devourer
1 Pili-Pala
1 Psychomancer
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Retrofitter Foundry
1 Rings of Brighthearth
1 Sceptre of Eternal Glory
1 Scrap Trawler
1 Sculpting Steel
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Sol Ring
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Staff of Domination
1 Strip Mine
1 Su-Chi
22 Swamp
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
1 The Abyss
1 Their Name Is Death
1 Thran Dynamo
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Triskelion
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Urza's Saga
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Victimize
1 Voltaic Key
1 Walking Ballista
1 Wayfarer's Bauble
1 Wishclaw Talisman
1 Wurmcoil Engine

Last edited:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Played this one for my first game of the evening and then for the final game, which was interrupted by the store closing up for the night. I'm mildly disappointed, but I do not think that the deck got a fair shake at all. So, in the first game, I kept an opening hand with four Swamps. Not ideal, but I had some spells I could cast and I figured I'd draw more business spells. Immediately topdecked a Swamp, then another. As the early turns passed, I just kept topdecking nothing but mana production. I got Grim Monolith, Thran Dynamo, and Mana Vault. By the time the game ended, I'd made one land drop for each of my ten turns. In all those turns, I couldn't get any kind of leverage to set up an engine or build a meaningful board state. I was easy pickings.

Spent the rest of the evening losing with other decks instead. Went back to this one for one last game. I had an opener with a single Swamp and no other lands. Precarious, but I led with Vampiric Tutor for Mishra's Workshop, then went with Mishra's Workshop into Metalworker. No one killed the Metalworker, so my third turn saw me use it to make 8 mana and deploy my hand. This start was a dramatic improvement on every other game of the night, but the game didn't last long enough for us to see it through. One player underestimated my commander and left it unblocked while I had Phyrexian Devourer in my graveyard, so I scored lethal commander damage. It came down to two of us, and I think my opponent had a massive advantage, but it could all have been undone depending on what I'd topdeck with Memory Jar. We ran out of time to find out. I suspect that I was not favored to win this one, but it was certainly possible.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
-1 Retrofitter Foundry
+1 Voltaic Construct

Definite upgrade. It's just because I didn't own this card before, but I picked up a copy today. I rule.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
-1 Flayed One
+1 Pili-Pala

Another upgrade because I picked up a card I had wanted to run, but didn't previously own a copy of. This should be the last one. Probably. Deck is done for real now.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Won pretty uneventfully with Kuldotha Forgemaster fetching Triskelion and Entomb fetching Phyrexian Devourer. Fourth-turn kill. Yeah, Trazyn is kinda broken.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Still playing this deck. Still winning with it. Not sure how long I want to keep it together. Probably a while. On the one hand, I am fond of it and it's not really getting in the way of building new decks. Almost every card in this deck that's not from the precon is something I have multiple copies of or just don't use very much. On the other hand, the gameplay with this one does seem repetitive.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think this one comes apart next. I really like the necrons, and the deck wins a lot, but it is pretty repetitive about how it tutors for combo pieces and just wins on the spot.