Southness

D

DÛke

So I had been planning my "big move" for few months now and it finally became a certain "go" this week. I'm leaving the hellish lands of the Midwest and especially my home state, Missouri, "the Gate to the West." Some were shocked about the location I chose, some claim to have "seen it coming."

I was actually wondering if anyone here is from or near where I am heading. Tomorrow, August 13, 2005...I am heading to the Southern lands of Lexington, Kentucky. Quite, quite a difference in atmosphere, attitude, lifestyle, level of civilization...but I like the rawness of those Southerners, the ones who are somewhat more, um, civilized, I mean.

Sadly, I get to "lose" 1 hour of time changing regions as such.

O

orgg

Well, I don't have experience that far north, but as long as you don't act too 'forn,' the moderate rednecks will leave you alone. However, be expecting to be confused about some words-- 'draft' is pernownst the same as 'Giraffe' in the southern drawl, and several things are slurred together; occasionally, pin=pen=pan, with a 'PHuuuN' soun'.

If y'ever get as far as th' middle of Mississippi, stay the hell away from me. :D

(joking!)

Killer Joe

Cripe, I hope what your looking for is in KY. I would think that the Northeast i.e. New York, Boston or Philadelphia would better suit your taste.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, WELCOME to the middle of the eastern U.S. I'll be seeing Tennessee tomorrow as my home for the first time. Hope we find it alright.

Ransac, cpa trash man

C

Chaos Turtle

Well...all I can say is good luck. At least Lexington has a somewhat more cosmopolitan outlook than the more rural areas. Having recently left the South, I can say I don't miss it at all.

Then again, maybe I do... :)

A

Almindhra

Killer Joe said:
Cripe, I hope what your looking for is in KY. I would think that the Northeast i.e. New York, Boston or Philadelphia would better suit your taste.
Most agreed...

D

DÛke

Actually, Killer Joe, you're very accurate in your suggestion in that the Northeast seems to better fit my taste. I have gotten that a lot. Though, despite that opinion, I am really not into the big city life of muddled up cultural crises (a.k.a "melting pots") in which social life is an overly active consumer society to which various businesses cater 24/7.

It may seem weird, but I do prefer the quietness and half-barren and half-civilized cultures of the South, such as the ones that can be found in Kentucky. You can't escape the consumer society which feeds off of popular media and popular news headlines, but they can be avoided to some degree, and I find the serenity and naiveté of the South to be rather refreshing to the full fledged ignorance of the overly patriotic nonsense that is spoon-fed to the masses in the more "developed regions." I rather live in a place in which people don't know anything as opposed to a place in which people think they know a lot, when they don't know anything at all.

That said, I am sure I will not escape the fate of living in some Northeastern city such as New York or Boston; it's actually a matter of time. Until then, I'll enjoy the South, in which I live in at the present moment...

N

Nightstalkers

You might try going to some of the towns and cities in the pacific midwest then, Duke. Oregon's unofficial motto may be "visit but don't stay" but that doesn't mean you can't have a good time while exploring the weather and place.

Get up to Portland and the Gorge and you'll have a great chance to go kite surfing during the summer.

A

Almindhra

DÛke said:
It may seem weird, but I do prefer the quietness and half-barren and half-civilized cultures of the South, such as the ones that can be found in Kentucky. You can't escape the consumer society which feeds off of popular media and popular news headlines, but they can be avoided to some degree, and I find the serenity and naiveté of the South to be rather refreshing to the full fledged ignorance of the overly patriotic nonsense that is spoon-fed to the masses in the more "developed regions." I rather live in a place in which people don't know anything as opposed to a place in which people think they know a lot, when they don't know anything at all.
[begin flame]

Wow, sometimes you never cease to amaze me in how full of crap you are....

Overly patriotic?...The friends I have made that are from NYC, Long Island, etc etc are actually very liberal and not very patriotic. You want to talk about ignorance? People who hate based on race, are stuck in their own ways and aren't open to religion or other political views are usually in the conservative south...As for the melting pot mentality, it opens people's eyes to other ways of life and beliefs...How is this so bad?

Have a fun philosophical conversation with a toothless wonder who only knows about the best way to milk a pig...

[end flame]

Yes, my sweeping generalizations were only made to combat those idiotic generalizations made by El Dukey.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Almindhra said:
Yes, my sweeping generalizations were only made to combat those idiotic generalizations made by El Dukey.
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one." :p