Soulcatchers aerie

K

Killerbob

I really love this card. My mind is set on one thing only: how can I make this card even more broken?
Then I got the idea: Why not use altar of dementia? With battle screech (puts 2 birds into play for 4 mana, flashback:tap 3 white creatures), welkin hawk (search for another welkin hawk when it dies), and some other stable birds, you have lots of birds.
1+2+3+4+....=deckrun
Is this possible, or just another stupid idea?
Maybe add blue for traumatize, some seach cards, and some stable birds (maybe raven familiar -searches, and dies to put a counter on aerie).

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

That's an incredibly good idea.

The largest bird I can think of is only power 3 though...
So maybe you should use Kangee, Aerie Keeper from Invasion.

2WU Creature - Legend
Flying
Kicker -- 2X
When Kangee, Aerie Keeper comes into play, if you paid the kicker cost, put X feather counters on it.
All Birds get +1/+1 for each feather counter on Kangee, Aerie Keeper.
2/2

It's expensive to boost all your birds by several points of power but if you have the mana it's probably worth it.

K

Killerbob

Thanks for your advice, but I like soroya the falconer much more.
Maybe because I never really understood why they had to make Kangee so weak. It is allmost impossible to pay the kicker cost. And if you do, he probably dies, because hes an easy target too. He is not even a bird himself. To be honest, I think he is a laugh...
Soroya has errata, so she works with birds now(and all falcons are birds). She´s a 2/2 for 3 mana, gives +1/+1 without any questions. The banding ability is not worth mentioning.
But both of these cards are nothing compared to the aerie. Problem is to draw them. I play type 1.5, so tutors are banned.
Another idea is to play phantom flock. If they get damaged, you prevent that damage, and removes 1 +1/+1 counter from it (starts with 3). But it is no cost to remove the counter. Its an effect. That means, that if the are boosted by something like aerie, or soroya, they dont die, when they loose all counters. But they still have "prevent all damage".
Very nice. A flying cho-manno! But they are soo expensive...

R

rkoelsch

I like Welkin Hawk it works well with the Aerie. Also Sage and Spire Owls let you look 4 deep for them.

M

Mikeymike

Volrath's Laboratory is a good card for this, it makes 2/2 tokens of any species, although they don't get flying (which you've got enough of anyway). Its mana intensive, but it pounds them out.

N

NorrYtt

I got my face kicked in by Birds recently. My Wild Mongrel and Arrogant Wurm looked kinda small compared to 5/5 flying bird tokens.

I suggest blue for Spire and Sage Owl, as well as Raven Familiar for search. A little countermagic as well; if they can't remove the Aerie, they're probably dead.

K

Killerbob

I´ve made a deck some time ago, but havent been able to playtest it much. Now I think the best way is simple beatdown. Lots of birds, and even wrath of god (my birds dont care, I´ll just search for a VERY LARGE welkin hawk). But with so many permanents, other counterspells than FoW is unplayable.
4 curiosity feeds the bird-engine.
In my 3 test-matches, I lost one match to a T1 power nether void deck, and beat a rebel deck 2-0.
This is indeed a boring deck to play. But in MP it should be possible to do nice tricks with Volraths Lab, and phantom flock, and altar of dementia.

M

Mundungu

With unnatural selection, make any creature a bird, even your opponent's when they are about to die ....