So You want to buy an XBox....

B

BigBlue

I've been debating this for a long time... (over a year)....

I finally settled on buying one this year... but I haven't yet... Now my new debate is whether or not to just wait for the Xbox II (or 360 or whatever they are calling it)...

Assuming I get one... I like RPG's most and completely despise FPS (other than SW Battlefront and Mechwarrior for some reason)... What games should I consider? I'd like to try Fable or Bard's Tale... I liked the Baldur's Gate game I got for the PS2... I didn't try the new BG one, but I heard it was a good one. I also really liked the first Prince of Persia one (never did the second one but I heard it wasn't as good from a few people)...

What are the best games?

Should I wait for the Xbox II?

Thanks.

E

evan d

The Kotor series should do you well. This of of your likeing SWBF and RPGs

B

BigBlue

I guess I figured (assumed) KotOR is mostly Xbox live.... is that the case? (I wasn't really planning on doing Xbox live.... at least not yet anyways)...

Anyone like or dislike Fable or Bard's Tale? They seemed like interesting titles...

E

evan d

I have heard good things about em.

Kotor to my knowledge is not live.

B

BigBlue

Oh yeah.... how could I have forgotten JE.... that was one of the primary reasons for the Xbox decision... since it's only for the XB....

C

Chaos Turtle

As an XBOX owner, I suggest you get a PS2. Wait a year before getting an XBOX 360, to allow the price to come down (unless you're rich). Also to be sure it won't be a huge waste of $$ (their development and marketing strategy is scarily similar to Sega's when they released Saturn, which flopped hard...so hard it killed Sega as a console designer).

RPGS: While KotOR was cool, KotOR 2 left a great deal to be desired in my opinion. Fable is strictly a rental (you can beat it in one day, and thoroughly explore it in a few more). Morrowind was fun, and the next iteration, "Oblivion" I believe, will be a PC/XBOX exclusive. There just aren't that many good RPGs for XBOX, sadly, but rumor has it that there will be more for 360.

My XBOX won't even turn on anymore, a problem that developed suspiciously a couple of weeks after the warranty expired...not that I'm suggesting that's a common problem.

Ferret

Staff member
I love RPG's. This is why I cannot bring myself to buy any of the X-Boxes. If I want RPG's, I can always fall back on the good old Playstation. The PS3 is going to be fully backwards compatible which means I'll still be able to play Final Fantasy I when I get through playing Final Fantasy XIII (I figure that will be somewhere around spring '07).

-Ferret

"Besides, most PRG's on the XBox can also be purchased for the PC..."

E

evan d

Is the PS series the only one that is smart enough to make it self back compatible. Oh yeah, I want this and universal cabling.

I

Istanbul

Chaos Turtle said:
As an XBOX owner, I suggest you get a PS2. Wait a year before getting an XBOX 360, to allow the price to come down (unless you're rich). Also to be sure it won't be a huge waste of $$ (their development and marketing strategy is scarily similar to Sega's when they released Saturn, which flopped hard...so hard it killed Sega as a console designer).
Now, now. Let's be fair. The Saturn killed Sega as a console designer...in part.
So did the Game Gear.
But the real murderer was the 32X, marketed just in time for Christmas, then dropped like a rock when the Saturn came around.

Three strikes, you're out. It's a pity, too; I love Sega.

I'm sorry, I got sidetracked.

I'll tell you this much; I'm a renaissance gamer. My PS2 currently houses Katamari Damacy (Katamari, do your best!), my GameCube currently houses Tales of Symphonia, and my X-Box houses...nothing.

Because my X-Box is the least worthy of the three systems.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It's the best at playing DVDs; leaves the PS2 version in the dust. And yes, it has Halo and Halo 2, and Project Gotham Racing. But honestly, the number of X-Box *exclusive* titles that are worth buying is pathetic. Almost everything worth buying on the X-Box can be had on another system, but the PS2 and GameCube can't say the same.

I intend to buy a Revolution and a PS3...but X-Box 360 will have to impress the hell out of me to get my attention. And this time, it's gonna take more than one game.

Ferret

Staff member
It is a shame about Sega. Oddly enough all Sega systems outsold their competitors - in Japan. Unfortunately, in the States they couldn't keep up. The Saturn (and later Dreamcast) had some of the best graphics and had contracts for some of the best RPG's produced - some of which, by Squaresoft's other half, Enix. Still, due to bad marketing in America the company just couldn't keep up w/ Sony or Nintendo and they went under.

An interesting post-script to this is that the Dreamcast's operating system was created by Microsoft and a lot of the old exclusive publishers from the Sega systems just moved to X-Box...

However, aside from Knights of the Old Republic and a rather nice Lord of the Rings RPG I saw the X-box just hasn't impressed me.

-Ferret

"Perhaps Apple should release a game system to compete..."

T

Terentius

I know what you mean istanbul. The only cube game I'd buy is SSBM, and the only xbox game is... I don't know, KOTOR I guess, but sure as hell not Halo.

Indeed, it is sad about sega. Technologically, Game Gear sure as hell outdid Game Boy, Saturn was the first of it's generation (that of ps1), and Dreamcast was the first in the generation we are currently in, which is coming to a close. And, sadly, Sega will not unveil a new system for the next generation, or ever again for that matter.