Snow 2014

R

rokapoke

7ish inches over the past 3 days. Good thing my parents came out to visit for New Year's... we had two extra shovelers!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The only time I was there, back at the end of May 2013, we had beautiful sunny weather.
The reputation is that it's extremely rainy, but the reality is much more complicated. There's a dry season from June through September. You could spent months in Seattle and never know that it's supposed to be a rainy place, if you picked the right months. Also, lots of places have much more rainfall. Some people in Seattle are fond of pointing out that New York City gets considerably more rainfall than we do. Other cities that are rainier than Seattle include Baltimore and Akron, the other cities in the profiles of the people that have posted in this thread. Oh, and the sky is clear outside right now. I wouldn't go so far as to call it warm (probably 6 or 7 degrees Celsius), but hey, it's January and the sky does look blue right now. So there's that.

But most of the time, for most of the year, it's totally overcast here. A complete blanket of stratus clouds as far as the eye can see. It rains often, but usually pretty lightly. That's how it is in the latter portion of our Fall, almost all of our Winter, and most of our Spring.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Also, lots of places have much more rainfall. Some people in Seattle are fond of pointing out that New York City gets considerably more rainfall than we do.
Well, there's a difference between "more rainfall" and "being rainy". Like you say, the "rains often, but pretty lightly" causes a different perception than the East Coast cities getting a massive amount of rainfall during hurricane season, for example (i.e. a couple of days of rain that results in more total rainfall than Seattle's yearly total - extreme example just to illustrate the point).

turgy22

Nothing Special
Back on topic... snow.
And now slightly off-topic: Is anyone else hearing about things getting cancelled because of the cold? Not snow. Not dangerous driving conditions. Just cold.
Numerous schools in my area have called in 2-hour delays because of the cold, which makes even less sense to me. How much warmer do they think it's going to be at 10am instead of 8am?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Our school district (Pittsburgh area) has closed for tomorrow and 2 hour delay on Wednesday. I still have to go to work.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Numerous schools in my area have called in 2-hour delays because of the cold, which makes even less sense to me. How much warmer do they think it's going to be at 10am instead of 8am?
Over here, in addition to not presently being cold enough for snow, our school buildings are heated on the inside through marvels of engineering.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We had several things cancelled or delayed because of the cold. I thought the main concern was black ice/stuff freezing. And how about that Amtrak train whose engine froze for 9 hours? :eek:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I hope the kids don't have to take Amtrak to school, though... :p

Yeah, I'd guess that delays because of "cold" would more appropriately be attributed to ice.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Actually, our school district cancels and delays school due to extreme cold because many of the kids walk to school. It's a very small school district, no one lives more than 1.5 miles from the Jr/Sr high school.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Actually, our school district cancels and delays school due to extreme cold because many of the kids walk to school. It's a very small school district, no one lives more than 1.5 miles from the Jr/Sr high school.
Bah. In my day when I walked to school it was five miles, in the snow, uphill both ways, barefoot, carrying my little sister.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Got... "alot" (for Baltimore) yesterday, I'd say almost a foot, so work was cancelled yesterday and delayed today. I'm taking off tomorrow for something else and already off Friday, so this became a shortened 1 day work week. Wooo!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, it's kinda mixed... I like the time off but I also like the "quietness" of the office and not the crazyness-that-goes-on-all-the-time-at-home-with-kids :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
2 hour delay today but only now has it started snowing.... :rolleyes: So instead I get to drive home in the stuff...