Smiletown [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
As soon as I saw Xolatoyac, I had visions of untapping a bunch of stupid lands with different kinds of counters on them. This deck won't be very good, but I am compelled to try the concept anyway. Maybe I'll even pull off a win with Simic Ascendancy.

Commander:
1 Xolatoyac, the Smiling Flood

1 Alchemist's Refuge
1 Arcane Denial
1 Astral Cornucopia
1 Awakening
1 Battlefield Scrounger
1 Blast Zone
1 Blue Mana Battery
1 Brainstorm
1 Breeding Pool
1 Burgeoning
1 Coalition Relic
1 Concordant Crossroads
1 Counterspell
1 Crawling Barrens
1 Crop Rotation
1 Crucible of the Spirit Dragon
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Cyclopean Tomb
1 Deepfathom Echo
1 Dreamscape Artist
1 Dryad of the Ilysian Grove
1 Earthcraft
1 Echoing Deeps
1 Elusive Otter
1 Elvish Mystic
1 Fierce Guardianship
1 Force of Will
1 Freyalise's Winds
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Gemstone Caverns
1 Gemstone Mine
1 Genesis
1 Glen Elendra Archmage
1 Green Mana Battery
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Harrow
1 Hickory Woodlot
1 Hollow Trees
1 Intruder Alarm
1 Jadelight Spelunker
1 Ledger Shredder
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Llanowar Reborn
1 Mage-Ring Network
1 Magistrate's Scepter
1 Mana Drain
1 Midnight Clock
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Mirrodin's Core
1 Moritte of the Frost
1 Mosswort Bridge
1 Neoform
1 Nesting Grounds
1 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
1 Ordeal of Thassa
1 Otawara, Soaring City
1 Overgrowth
1 Regrowth
1 Replicating Ring
1 Rhystic Study
1 Sakashima of a Thousand Faces
1 Sand Silos
1 Saprazzan Cove
1 Saprazzan Skerry
1 Sculptor of Winter
1 Seasons Past
1 Seedborn Muse
1 Simic Ascendancy
1 Slogurk, the Overslime
5 Snow-Covered Forest
3 Snow-Covered Island
1 Sol Ring
1 Spark Double
1 Spike Drone
1 Spike Weaver
1 Spike Worker
1 Spore Frog
1 Squirrel Nest
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Sweet-Gum Recluse
1 The Monumental Facade
1 The One Ring
1 Trenzalore Clocktower
1 Triskelion
1 Tropical Island
1 Urza's Saga
1 Vexing Puzzlebox
1 Vivid Creek
1 Vivid Grove
1 Walking Ballista
1 Wall of Roots
1 Waterlogged Grove

1 Bala Ged Recovery
1 Swan Song

Last edited:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I had pretty low expectations for this deck, and it easily exceeded them. Played one game so far, and it was a bit of a weird one, as well as being quite long and drawn-out. I spent a lot of the game with my hand empty, but I had enough board presence that I wasn't too easy to eliminate. My strongest opponent in the game could have picked me off, but saved me for last because it seemed like the best bet. I was able to use Neoform to get Spike Weaver, and bought time trying to set up a lethal Walking Ballista. He had far too big of an army for me to stop, but couldn't punch through Spike Weaver + Genesis right away, so it became a control battle. I think I played this suboptimally, but his topdecks were bad enough that I stuck with it and eventually won.

I see some changes I might make, while retaining the overall jank nature of this deck.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
-1 Bala Ged Recovery
-1 Swan Song
+1 Blue Mana Battery
+1 Green Mana Battery

Played this deck again. It held up surprisingly well, but ended up in a very explosive pod that I really never built it for. Oh well. Still a fun deck.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
-1 Wall of Roots
-1 Cyclopean Tomb
-1 Vexing Puzzlebox
-1 Mosswort Bridge
+1 Arixmethes, Slumbering Isle
+1 Everflowing Chalice
+1 Lux Cannon
+1 Karn's Bastion

Still haven't taken this one apart yet, so I might as well see if I can improve it for any future games.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Had a fun game with this one. One of my opponents was running a Cirdan the Shipwright deck, and the extra card draw randomly drew me into both Earthcraft and Squirrel Nest, so I just kind of suddenly won on the spot with infinite squirrels.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Still not taking this one apart just yet, so I'll swap in some recent purchases.

-1 Deepfathom Echo
-1 Burgeoning
+1 Helix Pinnacle
+1 Temporal Distortion

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Another fun game with this deck. The game ran pretty long and saw a lot of interaction between all four players. There were moments when it seemed like any of us might win. Ultimately, I did eventually draw both Earthcraft and Squirrel Nest again, but that actually wasn't enough to win the game. The player after me in turn order had just killed one player and had the rest of us dead on board if he untapped again. So I was able to navigate a path that had me use Gaea's Cradle for billions of green mana, Green Sun's Zenith to fetch Dryad of the Ilysian Grove so that I could get a second land drop for the turn, Regrowth to put Waterlogged Grove back into my hand, Jadelight Spelunker to explore through my library until I hit Walking Ballista, Waterlogged Grove to draw the Ballista, and finally Walking Ballista to ping my opponents to death. I would have tried for a Helix Pinnacle win if given the chance, but I had to find a way to win on that turn, and I pulled it off.