SKIZZIK!!

• Thread starter Cateran Emperor
  • Start date
C

Cateran Emperor

Skizzik 3R
Creature-Elemental
Kicker R (You may pay an additional R as you play this spell.)
Trample; haste (This creature may attack and the turn it comes under your control.)
At end of turn, sacrifice Skizzik unless the kicker cost was paid.
Rare
5/3

Now this is a card I LIKE. 4 mana for a quasi Ball Lightning isn't bad, 5 mana to keep it around ROCKS! Trample on a red creature is an awesome awesome thing. Plus, this combos extremely well with one of my favorite red commons, Downhill Charge! Thoughts?

[Below are things added with editing - CE]
By the way, I'm now officially collecting Skizziks for no other reason than I love the name. Feel the wrath of SKIZZIK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):D:(:mad::cool::confused:

[Edited by Cateran Emperor on September 7th, 2000 at 09:51 PM]

N

Namielus

Very good looking for red, but this look like yet another really really powerful card that isn't that expensive too play, wasn't there gonna be steps to raise the casting costs on cards and slow down the game?

N

nodnarb24

Tag Guard

COOL!!! I love that card and it has a cool name. That is now my favorite word. SKIZZIK!!! SKIZZIK!!! SKIZZIK!!!

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

Grrrrr, Me no like red. Me like blue/black. Them bestest of em colors. Red isum too hurty. me is no liking it.

::Kicks that long eared freak out:: Damn Star Wars. Hey, another thing i\I wasn't thrilled about. Now read has got a new improved ball L. It doesn't mean jack, if I make you discard it with my black/blue dissed or dismissed deck I plan on making for Invasion

F

FoundationOfRancor

I really do love this card...alot. 3RR for 5/3 haste trampler? Thats good by itself, but with an option to make is go suicide for a lower cc? AWESOME!

*however*
"Very good looking for red, but this look like yet another really really powerful card that isn't that expensive too play, wasn't there gonna be steps to raise the casting costs on cards and slow down the game? " -Namielus

A very good point. After some thought, I relized that they were trying to slow the game down some, but the main option was to balance the game. And to make it with more player interaction. Sligh is a decktype that should excist, if speed decks didnt excist counter would kill everything. So there trying to keep the same decktypes but there doing it in a blalanced fasion.

Keep up the good work RandD!

E

Elrond

Once again, I can't wait for Invasion to get here, this card just rocks!

N

nanokill

wow. cool card. man o man i can't wait for invasion to come out.

that is a cool word. skizzik. skizzik. SKIZZIK ROCKS!!!!!
:D:p:(:):rolleyes::eek:

D

Dune Echo

Skizzik is very mana efficient. Quite a departure from R&D's recent castration towards red. Basically, even with the kicker cost, Skizzik should have cost around 4RR to be completely balanced without a drawback. Instead it's 3RR, which is nice. I am just dying to see the burn spells for Invasion to see if anything decent pops back up.

-Dune Echo
Maybe chanting will help... Please print Lightning Bolt, please print Lightning Bolt...

G

Gizmo

I like it.
I`ve been hearing leaks from R&D for a while that Invasion was going to be a fast weenie set like Tempest, and this seems to bear that out.

Extremely good, extremely playable. Tournament quality, of that there is no doubt.

P

Purple_jester

A non-shy, aggressive Goblin Mutant for 4cc, and 5cc if you want the option of it sticking around to inflict the hurting again. It's not a Ball Lightning, but it doesn't get klled by pokers or first-striking knights.

This is a card that deserves to be rare. Very good for tournament play, and I'm sure that players wouldn't mind to have one or two of this in a casual deck. I was wondering what they would do to replace the Keldon Champion. This answers my question.

Plus, it has a better name. SKIZZIK! Can you imagine if they had given it a lame name like "Keldon Lunatic" or "Rathi Freakazoid"? :D

Oh, and Duel, red will NEVER have mana acceleration. Be satisfied with cheapness and the innate built-in speed of its damage cards (which is most of them). I'm just glad that red's back in major business. You have Richard Garfield to thank for that, I'm sure.

G

Gizmo

RG isn`t designing for Invasion, he`s designing for the NEXT standalone, next year. Or so says Maro in his interview with Orgg.

N

NeuroDeus

Hmm it seems Wizards invented a new word to be used instead of Damn and other swear words

Ex: Old way :- Damn, another ****ing counterspell you ****ing bastard

New Way :- Skizzik, another skizziking counterspell you skizzoik skizzer

T

theorgg

SKIZZIT! skizzit!

It's the New Eron the Relentless, but it isn't Legendary!

ROCK ON!

excellent card...
really excellent card.

P

Purple_jester

Eron's smaller 5/2, doesn't trample, and has no suicide-emergency lower cost. He regenerates, but how many pure red decks have spare mana anyway? Besides, a single Incinerate and that regeneration's stupid. Even with the current Type 2, Skizzik can't be killed by a Shock or Seal of Fire.

The only thing Eron really has over this guy is that it's easier to obtain Eron (he was an uncommon in a small set). Of course, that advantage is negated by the fact that as a legend, you can only have one of Eron in play at a time.

I'm glad that Skizzik is rare. For a moment there, I was worried that this would end up being red's answer to the Blastoderm (which was common when it should have been uncommon).

Gizmo: I know that Mr. Garfield didn't technically design the current Block. However, I also heard that to prevent the huge power discrepancy between sets (like that massive power gap between the Artifact Block and Masques Block), they had to balance the power of this current block to better fit with the next set. From his work in Tempest, I'm sure that his influence had something to do with the nice Block we're soon experiencing.

Personally, I AM a little worried though. I'm sure that SOMEWHERE in this Block is lying the next Tinker/Tolarian Academy nightmare. Hopefully the Future-Future League nipped it in the bud before it got printed. ;)

N

Namielus

If they reprint bolt I don't think of it as as much of a problem. But that just makes all our old cards useless.

C

Cateran Emperor

I've heard that red has a new burn card. Seriously, it's as simple as this:

[name unknown]
Instant 1R
{} Deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Common

This would be yet another welcome sight, but heck, I don't care if it's not there. I HAVE THE SKIZZIK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A

Apollo

Well, I've been clamoring for that burn card since they didn't reprint Incinerate.

But anyway...

Very good looking for red, but this look like yet another really really powerful card that isn't that expensive too play, wasn't there gonna be steps to raise the casting costs on cards and slow down the game?
Well, this card is cool, but, well, it's not a speed weenie card. Sligh wants to kill by the fourth turn, and this won't kill them unless you had an incredible draw. I don't know if you noticed, but this costs 4-5 mana. It's not going in my Sligh deck. It will go in other decks, but I don't think this speeds up the game. I think it is a powerful, not too expensive card, but not one that drastically speeds up the game. I think it's like Juggernaut; it's powerful, cheap for it's ability, and capable of doing a lot of damage. However, both are slow enough that you can deal with it (unlike Ball Lightning, which does more damage for less mana).

So, all in all, thumbs up.

Apollo