Skizzik... The new Ball Lightning?

B

balloonman17

Skizzik.. the Invasion Ball lightning that can stay in play. In this deck... he just keeps on comin' back...

Lands
4x Badlands
4x Uborg Volcano
2x Keldon Necropolis
5x Swamps
5x Mountains

Creatures
4x Skizzik
4x Ball Lightning
4x Nether Shadow
4x Nether Spirit
2x Avalance Riders
3x Body Snatchers

Others
4x Haunted Crossroads
4x Unmask
4x Duress
3x Sneak attack

When Invasion enters Type 1.5, this deck will rock, HARD! What would YOU rate it? I'd give it a 10.

D

Duel

Sorry, I disagree. Strongly.
The deck is good, but lacks ways to deal with turbostasis and ANY combo deck, and isn't fast enough to kill before they blow. It is, however, a deck I'd enjoy playing. I'd throw in Fool's tome, or SOMETHING to give me card advantage. Throw in 4 dark rituals (Second turn skizzik/sneak attack can win you the game right there) and definately use better discard than unmask. How about hymn?
Second, Skizzik is not ball lightning!
(If you don't want to read a rant/proof, skip the rest of the post.)

Skizzik is NOT the new ball lightning. In many ways it's better, but in the one you're thinking of, it's worse.
Let's compare
Skizzik: 5/3 trample haste.
Ball lightning: 6/1 trample haste.
Okay, the thing is, first turn skizzik deals 5 damage total. Divided among creatures and players as the blocker sees fit. Ball lightning deals 1 more damage, but probably dies. This makes little difference, as it's dead next turn anyways. About equal, here.

Skizzik: R, it stays around
Ball lightning: it's dead.
Skizzik holds an advantage here, but not as much of one as you might think. Green should be able to beat down a 5/3 on turn 5, White must have something (To stop a 'derm if nothing else), black is removal-full, and blue should be able to counter it, and red holds NO mana acceleration. In either case, they'll both end up dying, ball lightning deals 1 more damage.

Skizzik: 3R, 3RR with kicker
Ball lightning: RRR
HERE is why ball lightning is superior! Ball lightning is a turn 3 manuever. That's pre-blastoderm. most people take until turn 5 to build up a solid defense. So both might get through, but Ball lightning has a better chance, plus dealing an additional damage.