Single Card Deckbuilding Contest: Mark VIII

D

DarthFerret

Ok, the card of the week is...........

Royal Assasin.

I am looking for a new way to use him to the utmost effieciency. I would love to see multiple combo effects, and maybe even a win condition using him.

J

jorael

Once again I'm thinking about turning lands into creatures...

D

DarthFerret

Well, lets see some decks then....preferably using a RA as a win conditoin (although it screams "target" when it hits the board!)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I threw this together. I haven't tested it at all, but it looks pretty bad (but very fun if you can get it to work).

4 Royal Assassin
4 Living Plane
4 Opposition
4 Deranged Hermit
4 Sengir Autocrat
4 Sandbar Merfolk
2 Cloud of Faeries
4 Dark Ritual
4 Will-O'-The-Wisp
4 Chatter of the Squirrel
2 Windswept Heath
4 Polluted Delta
4 City of Brass
4 Bayou
4 Tropical Island
4 Underground Sea

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
DarthFerret said:
Well, lets see some decks then....preferably using a RA as a win conditoin (although it screams "target" when it hits the board!)
You could make him untargetable by a variety of means (enchantments, equipment...)

G

Gizmo

4 Royal Assasin
4 Intruder Alarm
4 Root Maze

Root Maze makes the opponent's creature comes into play tapped as a static effect, then Intruder Alarm triggers to untap all creatures. In response the Assasin whacks the tapped creature, then Intruder Alarm untaps the Assasin ready for the next one.

Where you go from here is up to, you can add Tradewinds as secondary Assasins and kill by bouncing all their permanents, but then the Tradewind becomes more important than the Assasin. You can abuse Intruder Alarm with more tap-effect creatures like Prodigal Sorcerors, but then Intruder Alarm is more important than the Assasin. You can make it into a deck that can destroy all their lands as well by taking stuff like Nature's Revolt from green so you arent dependent on them having creatures. OR... you can use the Assasin to kill your own creatures... let's go White...

4 Royal Assasin
4 Intruder Alarm
4 KISMET

4 Academy Rector
3 Enduring Renewal

The Rector pulls the combo parts together, the Assasin can kill the Rector to trigger it, and the Enduring Renewal suddenly means that now we can plug any creature we want into a loop cycle of coming into play and being Assasinated only to be replayed... so then the question becomes what you want to recycle?

D

DarthFerret

Interesting concept there. If I had the Alarms....I would definately build a deck based on that.

E

evan d

This might ruin the point, but kiki-jiki is allways ibn my mind when I think of alarms.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Gizmo said:
OR... you can use the Assasin to kill your own creatures... let's go White...[/I]

4 Royal Assasin
4 Intruder Alarm
4 KISMET

4 Academy Rector
3 Enduring Renewal

The Rector pulls the combo parts together, the Assasin can kill the Rector to trigger it, and the Enduring Renewal suddenly means that now we can plug any creature we want into a loop cycle of coming into play and being Assasinated only to be replayed... so then the question becomes what you want to recycle?
Gizmo,
Explain how this works again, please.
Kismet is only for opponents and the Renewal will put the Rector into your hand. Where does the other creature come from and how does it loop?
Is ther errata on some of these cards?

J

Jigglypuff

The first Rector is used to fetch out Enduring Renewal (or whatever combo piece you're currently missing). You then pack your deck with good creatures that have CIP abilities. As long as you have the combo in play (Renewal-Root Maze (because Kismet only works for your opponent, as stated)-Assassin-Intruder Alarm), you can play, say a Wall of Blossoms. You draw your card and due to Root Maze, it comes into play tapped. You then kill it with the Assassin and then Intruder Alarm untaps the Assassin and the Renewal brings the Wall back into your hand. You can then play it again assuming you have the mana.

By the way, you can't both search for an enchantment with the Rector and bring it back to your hand through the Renewal. One or the other.

(- Steve -)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Jigglypuff said:
By the way, you can't both search for an enchantment with the Rector and bring it back to your hand through the Renewal. One or the other.
It looks like just "the other" to me. Enduring Renewal is a replacement effect...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Thanks Jigglypuff. That makes sense now.
Just to clean up. "You then kill it with the Assassin and then Intruder Alarm untaps the Assassin and the Renewal brings the Wall back into your hand."
Actually the untap happen when a creature comes into play. Could be very important.

Oversoul, I believe that you have the choice of the order that the two triggered effects go on the stack. Also, the Rector's trigger is a choice.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Mooseman said:
Oversoul, I believe that you have the choice of the order that the two triggered effects go on the stack. Also, the Rector's trigger is a choice.
"If a creature would be put into your graveyard from play, put that creature into your hand instead."

Since Rector needs to hit the graveyard in order to use its ability, I don't see how you'd get any choice in the matter...

J

Jigglypuff

Okay, yes I probably should have said "While the triggered effect from the Alarm is on the stack, you kill it with the Assassin and then Intruder Alarm untaps the Assassin and the Renewal brings the Wall back into your hand". But you can never screw yourself anyway.

And thanks for pointing out that change to the Renewal. I only had the original card on me and I didn't think to check for errata.

(- Steve -)

G

Gizmo

I love Intruder Alarm, its such recursive fun - especially in decks of things like Quicksilver Daggers, Merfolk Looters, and Shieldspheres.

Even back in Tempest Block I had an Altar Of Dementia/Intruder Alarm/Keeper Of Beasts combo deck that was pretty solid.