Single Card Deckbuilding Contest Mark VII

D

DarthFerret

Alright, I have been trying to think of a good brain buster this time. It is starting to get pretty hard, but I have a good one now, I think, since I have been unable to make it work right for myself. This is a bit different than the contest name implies, because it actually requires all five cards, instead of a single one.

All Five Elder Dragon Legends

Y

YoungBeard

"Dragon Lab"

An idea is forming in my head of a universe in a jar in some mad wizard's laboratory. In the universe are lots of shiny artifacts and dozens of elder dragons flying around.

Plan: Use only colorless mana. Urzatrons and Cloudposts make suitable power sources for mad wizards, I believe. Put up Volrath's Laboratory and get a couple prototypical dragons into play. Then use a Cryptic Gateway so you can put your Elder Dragon Legends into play. Put in an Eon Hub so you don't have to pay their upkeep and a Mirror Gallery so you can have several of each Elder Dragon Legend in play at a time.

Play with your dragons once you've summoned them. Nothing worse than a bored dragon.

Format: very, very casual. :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Elder Dragon Legends are normally not very good. But with the help of some broken enchantments, that can change. Nicol Bolas has a particularly good ability. Of course, the enchantments I have in mind are Survival of the Fittest and Sneak Attack.

J

jorael

Old school combo: mindbomb + Nicol Bolas + shallow grave.
Cast Mindbomb, discard Nicol Bolas. Turn 2 you animate it with Shallow Grave. Opponent has 7 damage and no hand :)

The upkeep of these monsters is pretty hefty. Maybe Sneak Attack is the best way to go.

Bladewing's Thrall is always cool when playing with dragons.

D

DarthFerret

Wait, that brings to mind another card.....it is something like Calderras Cauldron maybe...not sure the name, anyway, it takes a critter from your G'yard, and one from your hand, puts em both in play with haste, then switches around so the one in the g'yard is in your hand and vice-versa. Hmm...I am getting an Evil Idea in my head...<snicker>.. Will work on it and see what I can come up with.

J

jorael

Cauldron Dance :D

Great card! Just pack your favorite fatties (havoc demon, nicol bolas, kokusho) and add Scrivener for unlimited fun. You don't even necessarily have to run blue. I did, so I could even *gasp* hard cast Nicol Bolas if needed.

D

DarthFerret

Ok, so far the main idea here is to get the critter in play without having to cast it or pay the upkeep. I can probably live with that. However, does anyone have a way to be able to afford all of the Dragons, and pay thier upkeep? Would love to see some way to do this while keeping the speed of the deck. I was thinking maybe of the Golems that accompanied the other Dragon Legends? (Rith, Treva, Dromir, etc...)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think there's a card in Mirrodin block that either gives you all five mana or lets you convert colorless to each mana, but not positive...

L

Limited

Channel the Suns? or Gemstone Array?

I don't think the golems are going to work, seeing as all the dragons also require an upkeep of their specific colors.. and the golems cost 5 themselves.

I would try something like
LEDS.dec
Creatures (20)
4x Fierce Empath (Search those legendary Dragons!)
3x Hana Kami (get some recursion going!)
4x Orochi Leafcaller (Color FixingTM)
4x Sakura-Tribe Elder (how come this card ends up in so many decks?)
5x Elder Dragon Legends
Spells (16)
3x Consuming Vortex
4x Kodama's Reach
3x Rend Flesh
3x Soulless Revival
3x Wear Away
Lands (24)
12x Forest
3x Swamp
3x Island
3x Plains
3x Mountain

O

orgg

I'd take the route of Sneak Attack/Pyromancy, myself. Add in a few other things that complement taking things out of my hand/deck and smashing with them to the pot, and mabe the red shoal, too. +8/+0 to a seven powered flyer isn't bad at all...