Single Card Deckbuilding Contest: Mark VI

D

DarthFerret

Shahrazad

This should be interesting. Wonder who would be crazy enough to play with 4 of them....<grin>

J

jorael

It actually has been used in a white weenie deck in Vintage, I believe. With 4x Tormod's Crypt in the deck too. During the subgame you mill away their graveyard. If they accept, their good cards will be used in the subgame and you have a better chance winning the (normal) game. If they concede the subgame, to prevent loosing cards, they lost half their life and you have a better chance winning the (normal) game.

Well, that's the theory behind it. I don't believe it ever was a tier 1 deck, but it sure sounds like fun :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
jorael said:
It actually has been used in a white weenie deck in Vintage, I believe. With 4x Tormod's Crypt in the deck too. During the subgame you mill away their graveyard. If they accept, their good cards will be used in the subgame and you have a better chance winning the (normal) game. If they concede the subgame, to prevent loosing cards, they lost half their life and you have a better chance winning the (normal) game.

Well, that's the theory behind it. I don't believe it ever was a tier 1 deck, but it sure sounds like fun :)
Isn't that deck pretty old?

Anyway, I'm still brainstorming. I'll post something later...

J

jorael

Yeah could be. I remembered the deck so why not share it?

Still a good idea. Something better can probably be done with the card. Panoptic Mirror and this seems awesome. *evil grin*

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
jorael said:
Yeah could be. I remembered the deck so why not share it?
I didn't say not to share it.

Anyway, one of the funniest deck ideas I've seen was supposed to be "the world's most annoyning Magic deck."

The whole idea was to use cards that would annoy the opponent, regardless of what they did for or against your board position. I actually have it written down still. The "nine annoyances" were as follows.

1. Divine Intervention

This was the deck's "win condition." I can imagine that many players would be annoyed to fight through this thing's defenses only a turn too late, as the game ends in a draw.

2. Mother of Runes

A resiliant, multi-purpose, defensive creature.

3. Capsize

Reusable bounce spell. Most of us have been on the receiving end (or giving end for that matter) of this one enough times to know what it can do.

4. Forbid

Along the same lines as Capsize. Counterspells annoy people, but reusable counterspells...

5. Shahrazad

This deck used Fork and Feldon's Cane alongside Shahrazad. Fun stuff.

6. Worship

Especially good with the self-protecting Mother of Runes.

7. Humility

This card makes any player that uses creatures as a win condition scream. It's probably the main reason people hated Parfait decks so much.

8. Chaos Moon

The trick for this card was to have your opponent do the counting every upkeep (even when the number is already quite clear). If he declines, you count, but slowly. Also, the deck used Flickering Ward, meaning that you could often get the result you wanted beforehand.

9. Soldier of Fortune

I have actually used this guy a couple of times. Oh, my turn? Wait a second. I'll tap my Soldier of Fortune to make you shuffle your library. Go on. Oh, and I'll cut...

This deck also used Peacekeeper, Time Elemental, Arcane Laboratory, and a few other auxillary annoyances. I saw it on some random website a few years ago. I like the idea, but I think we could build an even more annoying deck... :D

L

Limited

I was just wandering..
The double cards from unglued.. would they trigger at the beginning of this Subgame? Is a subgame a game?

D

DarthFerret

I have no idea. I would think that they would work, but not sure if it would trigger before the end of the first game. Interesting concept though, if it is true.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't think that the subgame should trigger the double card thingies, because it's a "subgame" and not a "game."

L

Limited

A quick reply from Chris at SCG

Chris said:
A: This isn't official as Unglued cards are not sanctioned legal, but I think that Double Dip's effect only applies to the next actual game and not the next sub-game.

D

DarthFerret

Oh, the questions that arise from these contests....Ha ha....

I

Izaryo

just imprint it into panoptic mirror or play it with uyo silent prophet