Simple rules questions

G

Griffith_se

Hello,
Just some simple rules question.

1. I have a 1/1 creature with protection red. My opponent casts earthquake for 1 is my creature dead? Since its not targeted, its dead, correct?

2. A wall is a creature right? I was playing against a friend who had a Glacial wall in play when I Jokulhaupsed, He said its a wall not a creature. The card dosn't say creature on it, but it is, Right?

G

Gryphonclaw

Dang, Ura beat me to it, so I'll just clarify a little.

1. Pro red creatures cannot be targeted by red spells or effects.
Earthquake is not targetted.
This far you are correct but:
All red damage dealt to pro red creatures is reduced to 0, I'm not sure about the exact timing of this, but suffice to say, the damage is assigned to the creature, but reduced to 0.

2. Walls are creatures, what else would they be? If they were enchantments for some bizarre reason it would have survived. If you are ever in doubt, check the section that says either, "summon _", "land", "artifact" etc.
As for checking to see if it is a creature, just ask yourself, "Can this 'permanent' be assigned as an attacker or blocker?" If it can do one or the other, or both, it is a creature at the point when it blocks or attacks. Don't make me explain cards that can be or not be creatures.

U

Ura

1) No your creature isn't dead. A protection from red creature can't be targeted by red effects or spells and whenever a red sorce deals damage to it, the damage is automatically reduced to zero. Plus it can't be blocked by red creatures.

2) Yes, a wall is a creature. So Jokulhaups will kill it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding whether something is a creature or not, pretty much if it's a Summon or Creature-??? type, then it's a creature. Artifacts sometimes say they're walls (or have errata - I think Chronicles Wall of Spears had errata saying it's a wall). But they will always say Artifact Creature (or the new wording type).