Simple Idea

C

Captain Caveman

Is this card any good? Would it be ok as an uncommon?

It needs a name also......

Card Title: ~Card Name~
Color: Green
Type: Creature-Beast
Cost: GG
Pow/Tgh: 1/1
Card Text: Can not be the target of spells or abilities.
~Card Name~gets a +1+1 for each other creature you control.

J

Jigglypuff

I like the idea of the card a lot. I think the CC is fine, since it can be used early and then grow with the rest of your army or can be dropped late game as a huge fattie. It's still vulnerable to the same things as other similar creatures (Radiant, Beast of Burden) but I think it should stay that way, for balance purposes. The card can be an uncommon; I don't think it's powerful enough to be a rare. As for names, I'm bad at them. How about something like -feeder? You know, it "feeds" off the power of your army...

That's all I have to say,
(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's too cheap, especially with green's ability to make lots of tokens (Saprolings, squirrels) AND with the untargetable ability. Keldon Warlord is RR2 for just the "grow" ability (although I can't remember it's initial p/t).

But of course, I have no suggestions on how to "make it conform" to my ideal; maybe GGG or lose the untargetable. No idea on a name either.

C

Captain Caveman

I posted this idea at another site and someone said it was.....

"broken"

I'm not really sure if its even any good. I guess being Untargetible
makes it better then I thought. How often have you seen anyone
use Keldon Warlord? Maybe the CC should be 1GG. Is it better
then Nimble Mongoose with threshhold? Its so dependant on
having additional creatures on the board I thought everyone
would say it wasn't any good.

:confused:

F

FoundationOfRancor

At first look, this card seems really broken. Then, I started anylizing it. Warlord is a terrible comparision - it sucks complete.
Anyway, G, 1/1 with untargetability is pretty balanced as is. A bit on the powerful side, but still pretty good. The question is, is another G worth the creature/+1/+1 ability? I'll put it this way; at GG the card would completly dominate. If thats what you want, then GG is the thing to go. Personally, I would cc it at 2G, and label it as a specialized card.

*shrugs* So I guess what I'm saying is this; if you want a really powerfl, dominating card, GG is good. If you want a casual, fun card, 2G should be the cc.

IMHO, at least.

C

Captain Caveman

Here are the two versions we are working on over there.

Cost: 1GG
Pow/Tgh: 3/X
Card Text:~card name~ can not be the target of spells or abilities.
~Card Name~has toughness equal to the number of creatures you control.

Cost: 1GG
Pow/Tgh: 3/X
Card Text:~card name~can not be the target of spells or abilities.
~Card Name~has toughness equal to the number of creatures you control.
Threshhold: Whenever a player payes the madness cost of a spell, put
a +1+1 counter on~Card Name~.

J

Jigglypuff

They both look nice, but I'd be afraid that they'd both get Mutilated. Of course, the original card had that problem as well, so this post actually was a cheap way of increasing my post count. :D Actually, I think that the first (non-threshold) one is more balanced than the other. I would make that one uncommon and the threshold one a rare.

(- Steve -):

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the Warlord sucks too bad; I used it back in Revised days. It's not too good in a tourney setting as there were better 4 cc creatures and red didn't have a lot of quick ways of making lots of creatures (now, using it as the "general" of a goblin army and using Goblin Warrens might not be too bad).

Green has just too many ways of getting out a supporting army. I'm not saying it's broken, I was just saying it was too cheap. Just get out a Squirrel's Nest alone and you'd make it almost equal to Chlorophant, which costs GGG.

Upping the cost by 1 seems fine, although if you're including the untargetability in the second beta version, lowering the power to 2 might be better.

C

Captain Caveman

I'm still trying to develop some simple, smart(so to speak)creatures. I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll add it here.

Is this any good? Is it out of flavor for green?

Card Title: Nantuko Harvester
Type: Creature-Druid
Cost: G
Card Text: At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control more
land than an opponent. Draw a card.

J

Jigglypuff

I think the card is pretty well-balanced. As for being in flavor, green has a lot of cards that either give you more lands or give you a bonus for having more lands (Greener Pastures, Mulch, Exploration, Summer Bloom, etc). I think it's perfectly in flavor. I think should be at least an uncommon, considering that it can be a one-sided Howling Mine. I think a good name for the card would be Nantuko Harvester or something along those lines.

(- Steve -)

M

Mikeymike

Wow that last one is neat, at 1/1 its easy to kill and it requires another card to break it. That said, with Fastbond, Sylvan Safekeeper, Harrow, LD, etc. it becomes very powerful. I think it probably should just draw a card and not flip the card, this way it doesn't get around things like Underworld Dreams, Plagarize, etc.

The first creature is broken at GG, no doubt about it - especially in MP. I've seen Beast of Burden become a problem and this is so much better its not even funny, but that said Beast of Burden is far from broken.

At GG it can too easily become an attacking 3/3 (or a 4/4 with Rootwalla's) on turn 3 simply by building an aggro deck.

How about this, compare it to Squirrel Mob which is a 2/2 at 2GG. It only starts out as a 1/1, but its cheaper, untargetable, and activates on ALL creatures. And Squirrel Mob gets played in OBC (but still could have been a little better I feel).

He should cost 2GG I think or 3G. Don't do the 3/X thing, that takes away from the point of making a dangerous attacker and moves away from the initial flavor. Who wants to play with a green grower that wants to block?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Squirrel Mob is 1GG.

I like the new one, it's really cool; Mikeymike is right about it, though.

C

Captain Caveman

Thanks for the help...

How about this for the Beast dude? Still broken?

Cost: 3G
Card Text: Can not be the target of spells or abilities.
~Card Name~gets a +1+1 for each green creature you control.

Its now a 2/2, untargetable when it come into play by itself. But
you need green creatures to make it grow.

On to the other guy....

Jp,
Thats for the name. I'll update it next.

MM,
I kind of thought this new idea would be pretty strong with L/D
too. I wonder if it would be to easily abused?

FoR,
I see your point about the first card being to good at GG so I
changed it. Maybe its a little more balanced now, maybe.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Funny thing about my comments about the Warlord; in a MP game I played on July 25 (before my vacation), an opponent p-layed with it and its more recent, flying variation.

I like the idea of Harvester but also echo Mikeymike's concerns.

T

train

Maybe a pay 1 life: this can't be the target of spells or abilities until end of turn.
Also, Make it a legend...

As for a name: Essence