Similair, but different question:

Which <Basic> deck archetype do you closely identify with?

• Burn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Discard

• Weenie

• Counter

• Land Destruction

• Big Creature

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Lock-Down

• Multi-Colored <please explain>

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Mono-Color <please explain>

• Other <please explain>

• Total voters

Killer Joe

I chose "Lock-Down" and the name of the deck (which is not the same as the name of the deck archetype) is Tradewind-Geddon.

Now if I had chosen "other", and put down Tradewind-Geddon, my poll choice would be misleading.
Another example: I chose "Other" and named "Rebels" as the deck. I would be wrong because rebels is a "Weenie" archetype.

I am also asking for you to give your explaination on this matter: What is the difference between a basic deck concept and a deck archetype?

Thank-You, in advance, for involving yourself in this discussion and polling :)!

S

superguy

I chose "other". Usually, I would identify with Land Destruction, Discard, or something else, but I just finished my Jolrael deck, and I luuuv it.

Z

Zadok001

I identify best with Discard. I like dealing with threats before they actually become threats, and I like control. Discard is unique, in that a true Discard deck is control, but must also provide a 'clock,' since it's controlling aspects will fail given enough time.

D

Duel

Lock Down. My goal in magic has always been doing whatever I want, and I found the most effective way is to establish a either a weissman lock, or a hard lock on my opponents, and then beat them down with funny stuff.

I don't have any particular lock, over the years the decks I've used include, but are not limited to:
Stasis
Weismann prison
Island Sanctuary
Like the Weather (Winter orb/propganda/disruptive student/opposition)

Pretty much the only decks I've never attempted are tradewind/_____ decks.

H

Hetemti

Multicolor. I can do mono-black and mono-blue, but I have more fun with two opposing colors, or three-color...even though the land situations can be...undesirable.

R

rkoelsch

As the decks I play with most are rebels, merfolk, blind cats and UW control. I vary between weenie and control.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I thrive on weird combos (I actually PREFER them if they have only a small chance of winning), so I picked other.

Embrace your other-ness! (I'm glad that isn't a word!!))

S

Sammy Dead-O

No frills for me, thank you. I play really slow at times, and burn gives me a chance to simplify life while enjoying the game.

My only other choice would probably have been weenie, since it's sometimes hard to figure out if a Sligh-ish deck is burn or weenie or whatever.

On the difference between basic deck concept and deck archetype: While I don't know that I've seen this distinction in terms of wording before, I would suppose that a basic deck concept would be an item like those in the poll, while a deck archetype has a more specific focus (what color, what combo, etc.). The concept weenie becomes Stompy, WW, Sligh, etc. Counter becomes Nether-Go, Forbidian, etc. However, I actually would probably prefer a more general definition of archetype than a lot of people.

T

Teferi

Discard, it allows u to get rid of the enchantments black can't handle and nullifys many threats before they hit the board

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer Lock-down because I like the challenge of disrupting my opponent's plans and stabilizing the game so I have control. Specifically, it's usually mana denial and I like Land Destruction for that reason, but I am always trying to get Manabarbs to work, which is not LD exactly. Thus lock-down...

F

fuzzy510

Don't know why, but Land Destruction is my favorite. Maybe it's my burning desire to destroy things.