Silliest thing you've ever seen in a Magic game

• Thread starter Cateran Overlord
  • Start date
C

Cateran Overlord

I just love hearing this kind of thing, it makes for hilarious reading.

My personal one goes back to the release of Ice Age in a massive multiplayer game. I mean HUGE as in about 15 players. To make things worse, by some sick coincidence literally ALL of us were playing U/R. Ya see, we were all taken by Deflection, and were all playing 4 of them. In retrospect, damned if I know why, but it was GREAT fun.

It basically goes everyone drops Volcanic Islands and Islands and Mountains and sits back. Then this begins to get insane as my friend Dave decides to break the stalemate (there are somehow only 13 Mana Flares on the board, no other nonlands). Note that I don't know who most of these guys were then and I've forgotten by now if I knew as the old card store vanished and was replaced by a new one, so I'll just number anyone I don't know.

Now remember that this is way back in the day with fourth edition and such, with no fancy timing rules. We made up the rules as to the order things occur in. they were fairly similar to 6th thankfully, and as such this is what triggered it all:

Dave: I'll cast Chain Lightning on Mitch (another good friend of mine)

What followed is far too long to recount here as I can't remember nearly the order it occured in.

Anyway, the end result of this was that the orginal Chain Lightning had been forked almost 2 dozen times and that most of these were Deflected at new targets, only to be paid and redirected at someone ELSE. Believe it or not, the end result was everyone just agreeing to pick it up and go home (it was almost midnight) as we had no idea how the heck to resolve this! However, my guess is that when 6th edition rules factor in and everything resolves, odds are we'd all have died (there was nearly seven hundred damage total from the Forking and Chaining). Do not ask me how this happened but the turn with the Lighting being cast went on for over an hour!

Anyone have anything sillier than that happen to them?

D

Duel

Well, I made a comic-book like move. A first turn swamp with a dark rituals, necromancy, and spell book. I smiled smugly as my opponent gaped. Then he started to laugh.
"What? What's so funny?"
"You aren't gonna win this one, you know..."

And I thought that kinda stuff only happened in comic books.

"WHADDYA MEAN 'No discard phase'?"

Also, I was in a large multiplayer game with zadok and a couple friends, and zadok was playing classic fish style. I was feeling awfully chipper, so I decided to spring a fish pun on them. And another. And another. And another. And another. And another. I've never seen that deck of mine lose quite so fast...

S

scrubby

Too bad this was before 6th edition apparently, because spellbook got eratta because of the elimination of the discard phase in 6th edition. It now reads" there is no limit to your hand size"
:)

[Edited by scrubby on July 11th, 2000 at 01:11 PM]

M

Mikeymike

This was about 2 months into my magic playing career (little over a year ago). We were playing a 3player chaos game.

ME-Red/Green with big creatures of course, I just started playing
RODNEY-Red/Green with better creatures (started about 2 weeks before me)
MATT-The veteran, former tourney player and tourney winner. Still the best player in the group. He's playing Blue, as always. This was his Steal your creatures deck. Great.

Rodney and I are obviously teamming up on Matt, because he is doing annoying things that blue is known for: like Capsizing, Man-O-Waring, Countering, and of course stealing everything that wasn't in his deck.

The most annoying cards in his deck were the 4 OLD MAN OF THE SEA (broken #@$%ing Arabian Nights Nightmare card) with Zephid's Embrace on them.

I hated that freaking card so much the second I top decked a Lightning bolt I blasted it b/c the Embrace wasn't on yet.

Matt's staple Zuran Orb was not out yet, Matt was at 3 LIFE at the time I killed the Old Man.

Thankfully, I have never made this mistake again.

M

manchot_13

Ok, me and my friend are playing stupid decks... we both built these so we should have known what was in them... anyway... he's playing this righteuosness fling mostrosity, and i'm playing some really bad version of and elf deck... i believe it revolved around conspiracy and opalescence and priest of titania... but anyway.. i start tapping mana to burn him and he says, "u think you're going to win don't you?" i said "yeah, i know i'm going to win... (thinks to self) there aren't any counterspells in there". I readilly tapped for somewhere around 400 damage via a blaze or something"...

well... there weren't any counterspells in there... but... there was a reflect damage in there... my idea of course... my card... and... it was in his hand... worst loss of mine ever...

why don't more people play like this?

K

krichaiushii

We were playing a chaos variant called "Bubble Magic". No one can do anything to anyone for a set number of turns -- you're in a bubble. Six of us had decided on 10 turns, secure in the knowledge that our decks will have the time necessary to do great and wonderful things.

Finally, it is time to drop the Bubbles. George, with a G/W deck is to be the first to go. He has in play some plains and forests and a COP: Green. Having played a Stream of Life while in the bubble, he had more than 20 life. So when his turn began, he chuckled and proceeded to Channel-Hurricane for 20, using the COP: Green to save himself. That was the last time we played Bubble Magic.

Though not pertaining to any single event, my friends and I have played floating magic, wherein every three turns, you put your hand on the table, and taking your life total with you, move to the chair to the left, to play that deck for a while. It gets very, very chaotic, as turn one is spent recovering, turn two is doing SOMETHING, and turn three is spent screwing the deck, IOT get the next guy. Control players have fits, so that alone is worth it. ;)

Oh, and I made a guy quit once in a three player game due to the following logic:
quitter: I play Wheel of Fortune.
next guy: I'll Fork it.
me: good idea! I'll Fork it too.

Apparently the concept of playing cards for humor's sake was beyond him. I think he was mad because he lost his combo during the first Fork... what a pity... ;)

N

nodnarb24

I have never heard of bubble magic before and i have been playing for about 5 years. It seems interesting, i got to play it sometime