Shipwrecked

E

EricBess

I'll explain the rules here. If you are interested and want to put in the commitment, please respond. It really works best with 4 people, but we can go with 3. I won't be playing since I'll be keeping track of what everyone has.

There are 4 colors, Tan, Blue, Purple, and Green. Each represents a different type of supply (Tan = Shelter, Blue = Liquid, Purple = Companionship, Green = Food). In each color, there are 5 different cards, each worth a different number of points from 10 to 50. In addition, each card has a Value (corresponding 1-5) and an Income (50 pt cards have income of 0, 30 and 40 pt cards have income of 1, and 10 and 20 pt cards have an income of 2).

Each player starts with a number of beads that is determined by the number of people playing. Each turn, one player collects their income (goes in turns - so if your turn to collect income is coming up, you may want to bid more aggressively). Then, each player sends me their 6 rounds of "bids".

Here's how the bidding works. Each player has 6 bidding cards. 3 are labeled "Pass", 2 "Stop" and 1 "Strike". You play all 6 in the order you choose. You can also choose to stop the bidding when you play a "Stop" card, but you don't have to. You wouldn't need to send me any more cards if you choose to stop. For example, you might choose to play "Strike", "Stop", "Pass", and "Stop" and stop the bidding in the 4th round. You wouldn't need to tell me what the other 2 card were.

Once I have received everyone's "bids", the cost of the cards is based on when the first person stopped the bidding. If the bidding was stopped on the first card, whoever wins pays 5. Second card - 4, and so on. If the bidding isn't stopped until the end, whoever wins the bidding gets it free.

Here's how it is determined who "wins" the bidding. On the card when the bidding was stopped, if one person has a "Strike" card, they win. If no one, or more than one person, has a "Strike" card, then the "Strike" cards are ignored, and whoever played a "Stop" card wins. If more than one person played "Stop", then whoever had played the most "Pass" cards prior to that "Stop" wins. If there is still a tie, all players involved in the tie pay, but then they have to rebid (just those involved). If necessary, a player may "sell" one of their resources for it's value to pay for their bid.

The object of the game is to collect 150 points worth of resources. Alternately, you win if you collect 100 points worth of resources in the same color.

That's basically it. There are a also 4 cards that are "Hidden Resources". For those cards, you are bidding for whatever card happens to turn up next.

One final thing. Whoever's "turn" it is (to collect income) may opt (if they tell me in advance) to bid for a card that has been "sold" instead of drawing from the deck. This usually only happens if someone needs that particular color, though, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Let me know if you are interested or if you have questions. If we get 4 people, I'll start immediately. If we only get 3, I'll start on Monday.

R

rkoelsch

I'll give it a try. I think I am going to have to read the rules 3 more time though.

E

EricBess

Okay. We have our 4:

Spiderman, rkoelsch, Gerode and Jigglypuff.

I'll start it up.

J

Jigglypuff

Hi!

Quick question.

Can I PM you all of my bids at once?

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What is the purpose of having two Stop cards? If you don't want to stop the bidding, why not play a Pass? Unless I misunderstood the "Who wins the bidding" part and it's anyone who plays a Stop, whether it be to stop the bidding or not, that counts...

E

EricBess

Jigglypuff,

Yes, PM me all 6 "bids" for this card at the same time. If you stop the bidding during those 6 cards, I don't need anything after.

Spidy,

Good question. Remember, just because you play a stop doesn't mean you have to stop the bidding. There are a couple of reasons. I'll give an example or two:

Say there is a card that you want to get and you would like to spend 3. If you suspect that there is someone playing that is trying to get it for 4, you can play Pass, Stop, Stop (stop bidding). Now, if that persons plays Strike, Stop (stop bidding) - as you suspect they might, then you also have a stop round 2 of the bidding. As long as a Strike doesn't win, you will beat that person out because you played a Pass card one and they played a Strike. On the other hand, if they try something else, you can get the card for a bit less. You could have also played the Strike this round, but you still get the idea. It is sort of a mini-Strike. Plus, remember that multiple Strike cards cancel out, leaving the Stop more powerful in some situations.

The other reason is that there may be a card you are trying to avoid. If you think everyone might try to get the card for 3 or 4, but you don't want to take that big of a risk on the card, play something like Stop, Stop, Pass, Strike, Pass, Pass. This is basically a play to try to avoid the card, but if you get lucky, you wouldn't mind having it for 2. If you don't want it at all, play the Strike last. I've seen bids go all the way and the person who holds the Strike til the end can get the card for free.

Remember, though, it is possible to get stuck winning a card that you don't want. The only way to guarentee not getting a card for a certain amount is to play a Pass at that amount.

I've a feeling that the first few cards are going to be sort of random until you get the idea of the strategy and how to try to manipulate the cards to get resources at the price you like.