Sharing

Discussion in 'CPA/WOTC Magic Issues' started by Ferret, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Ferret CPA Founder, Slacker

I was just reading the replies to the front page article on cheating and it was starting to get off-topic, so I'm moving the topic here.

What's the new topic? Well, the title of this thread says it all: Sharing. Back in the days of my little Tuesday night Magic sessions we would get new players a lot. Many of them were not rich and had car/insurance/rent pymnts to makeso they could only afford to buy enough cards to make a couple of decks to have fun w/ each other. So, my roommate and I would drag out our dirt (as in 'common as') and let them grab as much as they wanted...but, still is that enough to build a good deck? No. These guys needed rares and uncommons to build some decks that could compete w/ ours. So, I would dig through my folders and find rares that I didn't like to play and just hand them out. I think I gave away something like three Sol Rings and a Maze of Ith (they were restricted at the time, so why not?).

Life was good and everyone had fun :)

-Ferret

"...but no one could have my Sorrow's Path - it was MINE!"
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

It might be easier now, at least with green, with Blastoderm, Wild Mongrel, and Basking Rootwalla floating around as commons.

But I think there's such a wider pool today than "back in the day" that making an all commons deck that's fairly presentable is possible :)
  3. Mazzak Stylemongering Protodeity

I wish I had a Sorrow's Path.

Personally, I'm greedy so I always make people trade for what they get, but I make VERY favorable trades to those whose collections are stunted. I also will trade for non-card items, there was one case where I traded a friend a Rotlung Reanimator for a deck box for my Pestilence deck, and another case where I was hungry and traded a Draco for a chicken sandwich.
  4. train The Wildcard!!!...

Mazzak took part in the Barter-ing process!!!...

Now there's a true Magic player... I've done the same - Rides to PTQs, meals, movie tickets, all sorts of things...

AS for sharing...

I usually let someone fill up a 500 or 1000 card box and sell it for $5.00... that covers the box and decent rares and uncommons within... but It's not mystery... They choose what goes in the box... no more than 5 rares, 100 uncommons, and the rest commons...

Been a while since I've done that... Guess I'll have to start again...

"For some reason, your cards take up more and more space in the closet everyday!!!..." - Mrs. Train

"I know, it's funny how when you hand George(shop owner) the check card, he fills my backpack with packs of cards..." - Me...

"You owe me..." - Mrs. Train

"I know..." - Me...

And then another vacation or shopping trip is spawned...:rolleyes: :cool:
  5. Ferret CPA Founder, Slacker

Cool :) I don't suppose you could ever get Mrs. Train to post sometime - maybe she and Mrs. F could become friends...

Mazzak, I got mine the same day I got a Maze of Ith when a friend was able to get his mitts on some Dark cards for me. I paid something like $20 for five boosters and I was so amazed when I opened up and found Sorrow's Path. I looked at it for a few mintues, read it over, and over, and over. Eventually I realized that I was holding by far the worst idea WotC ever came up with. I showed it to my friends and they just stared at it as if to say "Is this a joke?" and "There has to be some practical use for this card" - but we knew it wasn't a joke and the card's best use would be to start campfires...

-Ferret

"...A rare from a set that's nine years out of print - yeah!"
  6. Mazzak Stylemongering Protodeity

That card is gloriously bad.
  7. Troll Dr. Satan

I am infamous for making decks out of commons and uncommons and giving them to newbies. I usually keep at least a couple of decks like that in case anyone wants to learn how to play. We play a lot of multi-player chaos and give them time to learn whild guiding them through their first couple of games. :D
  8. train The Wildcard!!!...

That's a pretty good idea Troll...;)