Sharing

Ferret

Staff member
I was just reading the replies to the front page article on cheating and it was starting to get off-topic, so I'm moving the topic here.

What's the new topic? Well, the title of this thread says it all: Sharing. Back in the days of my little Tuesday night Magic sessions we would get new players a lot. Many of them were not rich and had car/insurance/rent pymnts to makeso they could only afford to buy enough cards to make a couple of decks to have fun w/ each other. So, my roommate and I would drag out our dirt (as in 'common as') and let them grab as much as they wanted...but, still is that enough to build a good deck? No. These guys needed rares and uncommons to build some decks that could compete w/ ours. So, I would dig through my folders and find rares that I didn't like to play and just hand them out. I think I gave away something like three Sol Rings and a Maze of Ith (they were restricted at the time, so why not?).

Life was good and everyone had fun :)

-Ferret

"...but no one could have my Sorrow's Path - it was MINE!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It might be easier now, at least with green, with Blastoderm, Wild Mongrel, and Basking Rootwalla floating around as commons.

But I think there's such a wider pool today than "back in the day" that making an all commons deck that's fairly presentable is possible :)

M

Mazzak

I wish I had a Sorrow's Path.

Personally, I'm greedy so I always make people trade for what they get, but I make VERY favorable trades to those whose collections are stunted. I also will trade for non-card items, there was one case where I traded a friend a Rotlung Reanimator for a deck box for my Pestilence deck, and another case where I was hungry and traded a Draco for a chicken sandwich.

T

train

Mazzak took part in the Barter-ing process!!!...

Now there's a true Magic player... I've done the same - Rides to PTQs, meals, movie tickets, all sorts of things...

AS for sharing...

I usually let someone fill up a 500 or 1000 card box and sell it for $5.00... that covers the box and decent rares and uncommons within... but It's not mystery... They choose what goes in the box... no more than 5 rares, 100 uncommons, and the rest commons...

Been a while since I've done that... Guess I'll have to start again...

"For some reason, your cards take up more and more space in the closet everyday!!!..." - Mrs. Train

"I know, it's funny how when you hand George(shop owner) the check card, he fills my backpack with packs of cards..." - Me...

"You owe me..." - Mrs. Train

"I know..." - Me...

And then another vacation or shopping trip is spawned...:rolleyes: :cool:

Ferret

Staff member
Cool :) I don't suppose you could ever get Mrs. Train to post sometime - maybe she and Mrs. F could become friends...

I wish I had a Sorrow's Path.
Mazzak, I got mine the same day I got a Maze of Ith when a friend was able to get his mitts on some Dark cards for me. I paid something like $20 for five boosters and I was so amazed when I opened up and found Sorrow's Path. I looked at it for a few mintues, read it over, and over, and over. Eventually I realized that I was holding by far the worst idea WotC ever came up with. I showed it to my friends and they just stared at it as if to say "Is this a joke?" and "There has to be some practical use for this card" - but we knew it wasn't a joke and the card's best use would be to start campfires...

-Ferret

"...A rare from a set that's nine years out of print - yeah!"

T

Troll

I am infamous for making decks out of commons and uncommons and giving them to newbies. I usually keep at least a couple of decks like that in case anyone wants to learn how to play. We play a lot of multi-player chaos and give them time to learn whild guiding them through their first couple of games. :D