Settlers of Cattan: The Card Game

Killer Joe

I love the board game but this two-players version is a bit weird. It's like: Since you can't play the REAL game with two players, here's a version we made up so you CAN play when short handed. I give it an 8.5 out of the 10 (which is what I give Settlers the board game or hexagon game or whatever...)
I got this version of SoC for Christmas and a card game called, "Lunch Money", it's sick. Atlas Games makes it and it's only for the strong at heart. I would recommend it for anyone here but not for any Muggles (please note the hip reference to a popular children's story :))

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!!! :D

Sorry Yellowjacket. I just never thought about putting it together that way before, and when I did I just had to laugh...

Ahem. Anyway, I think we've talked about this one before, but we can do it again. Our whole family really enjoys playing Settlers, and I absolutely LOVE playing the card game, though it's difficult finding people willing to play it with me lately.

Of course, that could be because I've never lost playing it...:p

Lunch Money is cool, if a bit sick. Make sure your opponents realize it's just a game though, even if you have to remind them of it a few times while you're playing, or you'll end up in a real fistfight by the end of the night!

If you like simple, fast games like Lunch Money, try another card game called Groo sometime. It's a real easy learn, has an interesting resource-generating mechanic, and is far less likely to cause you to lose friends and generate disbelieving stares amongst your contemporaries.

It's kinda' fun too! :D

C

Chaos Turtle

Here's a fun game that you have very little chance of developing any real skill at:

Fluxx

It's a fun game where the goals (and the rules) are in constant... uhm, flux. You even get a blank cards so you can make up your own.

I've heard of an expansion pack being rleased, but no word yet on where to get it.

Anybody know?

Also, I'm looking for a game called Set, a kind of match-forming game.

Now, about Settlers of Catan... I've never played it, but I know a couple of people who are into it (though I rarely see them). Maybe I'll be able to pick up some of the CCG version at the PreRelease.

I do, however, have one caveat...

It's obviously a tool of the devil, since by switching the initial letters arounds, you get Cettlers of Satan... though I must admit to not having any idea what vile spawn of evil the "Cettlers" are.

Beware.

Killer Joe

...before our MTG tourneys. I have been hounded for weeks now to bring back SoC:Board Game, everyone loves it.
CT: Man, you see, that's the problem with being too intelligent, you think up of weird stuff like re-arranging words and the likes. Do, per chance, play Scrabble?......competively?
TomB: I remember that thread. I wish my wife would give it a go but just the box alone makes the game look like "One of those weird games that stinky nerds play." :)
Hi, I'm a stinky nerd!

C

Chaos Turtle

Is there really a problem with being "too intelligent?"

I'm certainly not "too" intelligent. If I was, I'd have gone to college right after high school instead of dilly-dallying around for the last decade...

Anyways... no, I've tried Scrabble. It was fun, but I'm never sure which words I form are real ones or made up ones (there is a drawback to being too crazy).

I like Tribond though, as far as party games go, and Taboo (the original) and Trivial Pursuit. Othello is my favorite "classic" table game.

Killer Joe

I waited ten years after High School to go to college.
1980: Graduated from HS
1980 - 1987: I had a good-time doing, um, doing, um, garshdarnit, I can't remember WHAT the heck I did during that time. Damn Regan years.
1987-1990: U.S Army, SIR!
1990: I enrolled at Duquesne University (Man, talk about about feeling old, having cute girls comming up to you in the hallway saying, "um, SIR? Can you tell me where I can find the..." geezsh!)
1998: Working on that Masters Degree
2001: STILL< working on that Masters Degree.

N

Namielus

Masters degree in what?

SoC is very very fun, I recommend it to everyone here except HM cause I don't like him (LOL).

Go out and try a 3 player game to start with other new players, you feel better about losing then.

C

Chaos Turtle

Yellowjacket, you inspire me. :)

Lucky for me I can still pass as college-age, huh?
Being that I'm so cute and all. :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I remember talking about this game earlier and I think I said it was okay. It does seem rather anticlimatic at the end because you spend all this time building less than 6 or 7 victory pts and then whoosh! You get the last with no problem (at least with my games) just through upgrading and sneak attacks to get control of the knight or windmill. But I still like it...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
CT: Umm, was that a play on SUCKS? or SoC Kicks? I'm so dumb when it comes to these... :rolleyes:

As a note to party games, Beyond Balderdash in person is a hoot (hope my game here is not destroying your impression of it :)). Gestures is fun if you like to act out.

Yellowjacket: I can speak Parseltongue; can you? ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Never mind then. I thought maybe we had a secret language to talk about others behind their backs :)

Oops, did I say that? I meant to discuss secret strategies in Magic, that's what I meant... :rolleyes: