settled Dispute

K

KaVu_LoRd

settled dispute
6WW
instant
Both players sacrafice all artifacts, creatures, lands, and enchantments in play, and discard their hand. Then both players shuffle their graveyard and removed-from-game pile into their library. Both players gain X life, were X is 20 minus their current life count. then both players draw 7 cards. Use this ability ONLY if you payed its mana cost in full.
"peace will finally be found throughout this world!"

Artwork: Urza is standing on a balcony, arms spread, speaking to a croud. the croud is cheering, but behind urza, in the shadows, is a barely vissable assassin, stairing at urza.

What do you think? its a full restart card, which could save your life, or screw you over. BUT since it's worthless if you use a trick to play it early, it makes it balanced.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Just to make sure, it could have "...and only if you control at least eight lands."
It's good though.

J

Jigglypuff

OKay, let's see...

You don't need "in play" in the first sentence, since they are only creatures, artifacts, enchantments, or lands when they are in play. (They are referred to as creature, artifact, enchantment, land cards otherwise. Cards like Worldly Tutor say "creature card" because of this.) Actually, you could just say "All players sacrifice all permanents they control."

The next sentence should say, "...graveyard and all cards in their removed-from-game zones into their library."

On the next sentence, what would happen if one player had 30 life? They would gain "20-30" or -10. Fix: "Each player's life total becomes 20." (a la Blessed Wind)

Ooo boy, the tricky part. How about "This spell's total mana cost cannot be changed." at the beginning? This would prevent people from changing the cost through Helm of Awakening or Medallions or even Gloom. As for cards like Temporal Aperture or Dream Halls, I'm not really sure. How about, "If you paid the mana cost, this card gains "(the whole text, I won't write it again)" But I'm not sure whether a card can edit it's own text while it's on the stack... Hmmm.. tricky!! As for TICM's idea, it would screw people who used lands that make multiple mana or cards like Overabundance.

Overall, a pretty interesting idea and a clever wording situation all in one card.
(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Jigglypuff's remarks, although perhaps the life thing is intentional with negatives, punishing a player if he has more than 20 life but wants to cast the spell.

But if not, the "each player's life is set to 20" is good enough.

J

Jigglypuff

I doubt that the life negative thing was intentional, considering how KaVu already stated it should be a "reset-the-game" type of card.

As for the wording, how about this (Warning: this is freaky):

Settled Dispute
Instant
This spell is white. (a la Kobolds)
You may pay 6WW. If you do, (do the reset thing).

That would prevent any cards like the Medallions from affecting the cost, but Gloom could still make it more expensive. Was that what you intended? If you were to play it through Dream Halls or Temporal Aperture, you could still pay the 6WW and get the effect.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, since the caster would be probably be on the losing side of life, it would be a reset for him. If his opponent is already ahead in life, this could set him back :)

C

Chaos Turtle

Settled Dispute
6WW
Sorcery

Settled Dispute's cost is not reduced by effects that alter costs.
Settled Dispute can only be played from your hand by paying its mana cost.

Each player sacrifices all permanents and removes all spells and psuedospells he or she controls from the stack, then removes all cards in his or her hand, graveyard, and library from the game. Each player then shuffles all cards he or she owns in the removed from game zone except cards that began the game in a sideboard into his or her library, then draws 7 cards. Each player's life total is set to 20.

[EDIT: added the "spells and pseudospells" clause to prevent bizarre interaction with Mirari; also added "sideboard clause" to ensure game is reset properly in the event a wish has been used -- this card really is too freaky :eek:]

J

Jigglypuff

CT's idea works as well, but my way is cooler so :p :p :p to you!

(- Steve -)

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

I have a card like that in my Upheaval list, but i have yet to post it. Plus, I have to revise the whole set for power balance.

Start Anew
6GG
Sorcery
Start Anew can't be countered.
Remove Start Anew from the game. Each player shuffles their hand, graveyard, and all permanents they own into his or her library, then draws seven cards. Each player's life total becomes 20.

"Our old strategy has failed. We must begin anew."
-Wang, Xinwa Hierophant

Artwork: Wang looking back at a once-desecrated forest as it gradually returns to normal.

J

Jigglypuff

Hey, I just thought of another issue with this card. How does it interact with tokens? Under all of the wordings given here, any tokens in play would be shuffled into their owner's decks, which could definitely cause problems. My suggestion is to say:

Each player sacrifices all non-token permanents he or she controls. Each player discards their hand. Each player's life total becomes 20. Each player shuffles their graveyard and all cards in their removed-from-game zones into their libraries. Remove all tokens from the game.

That should work as intended.

(- Steve -)

J

Jigglypuff

Right. The tokens won't go poof until SBE's are checked after the spell has fully resolved. The problem is, what would you do if you shuffled your library and then you drew a token as one of your 7 cards? Not to mention the fact that you would actually have added cards to your deck (if you were using other face-down cards as tokens). And what do you do if you were using dice or little plastic figures? It's all so confusing...:confused: :confused:

(- Steve -)

K

KaVu_LoRd

ill edit this down here, and MAYBE i can get the card done right

Settled Dispute
WW
Instant
all players put a 1/1 token into play.
cannot be countered by Spells
You may pay 6 upon casting ~this~. if you do, ignore the first effect of ~this~, and instead use the fallowing effects.
All players sacrafice all permenents. anything sacraficed this way cannot be regenerated. Both players remove their library, graveyard, and hand from the game, then shuffle their removed-from-game-ZONE. there remove-from-game-zone then becomes their library. All Life bases become X, were X is the starting life in the game.

First, i think that this would be more balanced, because they can use it for a 1/1, but at the same time, you can pay the 6 to use the full reset deal, and because it cannot be countered by SPELLS, it would make more people use Meddling mages and cards like those in Nemisis (forgot the name) were you use an ability on the card to counter.

J

Jigglypuff

I won't be the rules guy again, but I will point out that you can't regenerate something that has been sacrificed, for any reason.

And Spidey is right, your wording still shuffles tokens. See my last two posts for an explanation and a wording that would work as intended.

And as a minor note (nitpick): Meddling Mage doesn't counter spells, it prevents them from being played. The difference is pretty significant.

(- Steve -)

C

Chaos Turtle

The version I posted has no problem with tokens, since only "cards" in the RFG zone would be shuffled back in.