Serious Forum

T

Turtlewax Joe

Hey guyz, i'm back after a long leave of the Casual forums...the competative type one scene tempted me for a long while as did 1.5, but now i'm back and have a more care free attitude.

my propostion is this:

we start a forum for competative play for a forum for vintage, type 2, and extended, maybe even limited.

this would do 2 things for our little community:

1) increase interest. by drawing a broader audience we may become a bigger voice in the magic community, as well as create an increase in members which may birng others to the casual side of things.

2) provide an outlet for the competative player in all of us. if we had this around the time i started becoming serious about magic, i would have been incouraged to post more.

i would be willing to maderate the type 1 and/or 1.5 forum for this site and try to keep it flame free and elitist free.

i know others probably among this site that would jump at that chance to moderate the type 2 and extended forum.

let me know what you think...i would especially be interested in hearing spidey's opinion.

also i am glad to see weekly articles up on the front page everyday while i am signing into my e-mail here. (where has the prodigal Zadok001 been up to? does anyone know?)

Ferret

Staff member
I would have to say that this is a bad idea. I honestly think that our member base is quite large and the Forums get a nice load of messages each day. Setting up a "Serious" Forum would defeat the purpose of why we're all here.

Now, don't get me wrong: I have no problems w/ Casual Players playing in pro-level stuff, but I don't want the board to be invaded by people that cannot see beyond card prices in Scrye or articles in TopDeck...

-Ferret

"...didn't we see enough of that on The Dojo?"

T

train

Man - that was swifter than a D&D battle in which you roll a 1 on a d20 and remove yourself from the battle...:eek: :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I agree with Ferret that it's a bad idea but disagree with his reasons.

This board is dying; there are probably no more than 50 active and semi-active people and probably around a third to half who post regularly. There's hardly any postings anywhere with actual good Magic content or discussion; set your "Last Threads Viewed" to Past 10 Days and in most of the forums, you can see that the threads are on one page and you don't have to scroll down to see the rest of them.

However, I agree in that this is the casual board and the main focus is not on competitive play (which could be why there's a lack of activity since people can drop and pick up at any moment). People can discuss serious play and we don't discourage it, but we don't encourage it either. There are other sites for that.

T

Turtlewax Joe

i see why your saying this...i knew it when i posted the first comment.

the thought of having a renewed board is great, but with it comes competative players that would check out the rest of the board and try to make everyhting into a competative deck in the case of the casual decks and variants forum, this could maybe hurt some one's feelings and give a feeling of elitism in which the newcome would be hated, or relegated to only post in the competative forum which was not neccessarily the point of the venture in the first place...

like i said, i concede. it's not worth it.

Ferret

Staff member
I see your point, Spidey. Since I haven't been the most active poster in the past few years i guess I couldn't notice that activity is lower than it used to be. To me it seems about as healthy as it was 2½ years ago...but, we were just getting started at the time...

I'd like to participate in more Magic related things, but I haven't played in so long that I really couldn't keep up.

-Ferret

"...my preference has always been 'off-topic' stuff"