Second Singleton Draft, Round 7: Spidey vs Melkor

Discussion in 'Games Run By CPA Members' started by Spiderman, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Melkor Well-Known Member

I'll cast Ancestral Recall at the end of your turn. Responses?
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Both Islands and a Plains to Cancel it.
  3. Melkor Well-Known Member

Misdirection, removing Gush from the game
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Tap everything for Absorb.
  5. Melkor Well-Known Member

Don't you need two blue mana for Absorb? I only count one after the Cancel
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

whoops, I thought it was one of each. Never mind then :eek: No further responses.
  7. Melkor Well-Known Member

Ancestral resolves,

Untap, upkeep, Draw; well that is interesting

Island, Grim Monolith, Tap Grim Monolith for Grindstone and Painter's Servant naming blue

Done

Melkor: 20
    Hand: 4
    Library: 25
    In Play:

(U) (U) (T) Island x3
    (T) Swamp x1

(T) Grim Monolith (~ does not untap during my untap step. T: add 3 to my mana pool. 4: Untap ~)
    (U) Grindstone (3, T: Put the top two cards of target player's library into that player's graveyard. If both cards share a color, repeat this process.)
    (S) Painter's Servant (1/3, As Painter's Servant comes into play, choose a color. All cards that aren't in play, spells, and permanents are the chosen color in addition to their other colors.) (Blue)

Graveyard: Powder Keg, Impulse, Stroke of Genius, Misdirection, Ancestral Recall
    RFG: Gush

Spiderman: 19
    Hand: 5
    Library: 43
    In Play:

(U,U) Island x2
    (U,U) Plains x2
    (U) Tundra (W/U dual)

(U) Mana Vault (~ doesn't uintap during my untap step. At the beginning of my upkeep, I may pay 4. If I do, untap ~. At the beginning of my draw step, if ~ is tapped, ~ deals 1 dmg to me. T: Add 3 to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Flooded Strand, Mishra's Factory, Lotus Petal, Cancel
    RFG:
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Did you already have the pieces or draw into them with the Recall?

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Island
    Upheaval
    Responses?

Hand: 4
    In Play:

(U) (U) (T) Island x3
    (T) Swamp x1

(T) Grim Monolith (~ does not untap during my untap step. T: add 3 to my mana pool. 4: Untap ~)
    (U) Grindstone (3, T: Put the top two cards of target player's library into that player's graveyard. If both cards share a color, repeat this process.)
    (S) Painter's Servant (1/3, As Painter's Servant comes into play, choose a color. All cards that aren't in play, spells, and permanents are the chosen color in addition to their other colors.) (Blue)

Graveyard: Powder Keg, Impulse, Stroke of Genius, Misdirection, Ancestral Recall

Hand: 3
    Library: 42
    In Play:

(T,T,U) Island x3
    (T,U) Plains x2
    (U) Tundra (W/U dual)

(T) Mana Vault (~ doesn't uintap during my untap step. At the beginning of my upkeep, I may pay 4. If I do, untap ~. At the beginning of my draw step, if ~ is tapped, ~ deals 1 dmg to me. T: Add 3 to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Flooded Strand, Mishra's Factory, Lotus Petal, Cancel, Upheaval
    RFG:
  9. Melkor Well-Known Member

I had the Painter's Servant, I drew a land and the Grim off of the Ancestral and the Grindstone was my regular draw.

No response
  10. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Done - discard 2 Plains and Island

Hand: 11
    In Play:

Hand: 7
    In Play:

Graveyard: Flooded Strand, Mishra's Factory, Lotus Petal, Cancel, Upheaval, Plains x2, Island
    RFG:
  11. Melkor Well-Known Member

Untap, Upkeep, Draw

Island, Grindstone, Discard Island, Cruel Edict, Meloku the Clouded Mirror, done

Library: 24
    In Play:

(T) Island x1

Graveyard: Powder Keg, Impulse, Stroke of Genius, Misdirection, Ancestral Recall, Island, Cruel Edict, Meloku the Clouded Mirror

In Play:

Graveyard: Flooded Strand, Mishra's Factory, Lotus Petal, Cancel, Upheaval, Plains x2, Island
    RFG:
  12. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Tundra
    Mana Vault
    Use it for Azorius Signet

Done - mana burn for 1

Library: 24
    In Play:

(T) Island x1

Graveyard: Powder Keg, Impulse, Stroke of Genius, Misdirection, Ancestral Recall, Island, Cruel Edict, Meloku the Clouded Mirror

Spiderman: 18
    Library: 41
    In Play:

(T) Tundra (U/W dual)

(T) Mana Vault (~ doesn't uintap during my untap step. At the beginning of my upkeep, I may pay 4. If I do, untap ~. At the beginning of my draw step, if ~ is tapped, ~ deals 1 dmg to me. T: Add 3 to my mana pool)
    (U) Azorius Signet (1, T: Add UW to my mana pool)

RFG:
  13. Melkor Well-Known Member

Untap, Upkeep, Draw

Island, Painter's Servant, done

Hand: 6
    Library: 23
    In Play:

(T) (T) Island x2

Spiderman: 18
    Library: 41
    In Play:

(T) Tundra (U/W dual)

RFG:
  14. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Untap, upkeep, Draw - take 1

Island

Done

Library: 23
    In Play:

(T) (T) Island x2

Spiderman: 17
    Library: 40
    In Play:

(U) Tundra (U/W dual)
    (U) Island

RFG:
  15. Melkor Well-Known Member

Untap, Upkeep, Draw

Swamp, activate Grindstone

Done

Library: 22
    In Play:

(T) (T) Island x2
    (T) Swamp x1

(T) Grindstone (3, T: Put the top two cards of target player's library into that player's graveyard. If both cards share a color, repeat this process.)

(U) Painter's Servant (1/3, As Painter's Servant comes into play, choose a color. All cards that aren't in play, spells, and permanents are the chosen color in addition to their other colors.) (Blue)

Spiderman: 17
    Library: 40
    In Play:

(U) Tundra (U/W dual)
    (U) Island

RFG:
  16. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

You know, for some reason, I thought it was the Servant and another artifact, not the Grindstone, that was the combo. Ah, well, good game. That was rather anticlimatic from our second game :) I'll update the thread if it hasn't been already.
  17. Melkor Well-Known Member

Simple combos often seem to be.
  18. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I should have tapped for more mana when I cast Upheaval and not put down the land, although I was fearing a ctr at the time. Then I could have replayed Mana Vault on that turn and be ahead of you for land so hopefully I could counter the Servant when he came out...
  19. Melkor Well-Known Member

I was confident after you had played a land before the Upheaval, I knew I would be one step ahead. So play or draw?
  20. Ransac CPA Trash Man

Oh yeah! I had forgotten that Spidey had won game 1!

Ransac, cpa trash man