Second Singleton Draft, Round 7: Spidey vs Melkor

Discussion in 'Games Run By CPA Members' started by Spiderman, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Melkor Active Member

I'll cast Ancestral Recall at the end of your turn. Responses?
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Both Islands and a Plains to Cancel it.
  3. Melkor Active Member

Misdirection, removing Gush from the game
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Tap everything for Absorb.
  5. Melkor Active Member

Don't you need two blue mana for Absorb? I only count one after the Cancel
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

whoops, I thought it was one of each. Never mind then :eek: No further responses.
  7. Melkor Active Member

Ancestral resolves,

Untap, upkeep, Draw; well that is interesting

Island, Grim Monolith, Tap Grim Monolith for Grindstone and Painter's Servant naming blue

Done

Melkor: 20
    Hand: 4
    Library: 25
    In Play:

(U) (U) (T) Island x3
    (T) Swamp x1

(T) Grim Monolith (~ does not untap during my untap step. T: add 3 to my mana pool. 4: Untap ~)
    (U) Grindstone (3, T: Put the top two cards of target player's library into that player's graveyard. If both cards share a color, repeat this process.)
    (S) Painter's Servant (1/3, As Painter's Servant comes into play, choose a color. All cards that aren't in play, spells, and permanents are the chosen color in addition to their other colors.) (Blue)

Graveyard: Powder Keg, Impulse, Stroke of Genius, Misdirection, Ancestral Recall
    RFG: Gush

Spiderman: 19
    Hand: 5
    Library: 43
    In Play:

(U,U) Island x2
    (U,U) Plains x2
    (U) Tundra (W/U dual)

(U) Mana Vault (~ doesn't uintap during my untap step. At the beginning of my upkeep, I may pay 4. If I do, untap ~. At the beginning of my draw step, if ~ is tapped, ~ deals 1 dmg to me. T: Add 3 to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Flooded Strand, Mishra's Factory, Lotus Petal, Cancel
    RFG:
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Did you already have the pieces or draw into them with the Recall?

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Island
    Upheaval
    Responses?

Hand: 4
    In Play:

(U) (U) (T) Island x3
    (T) Swamp x1

(T) Grim Monolith (~ does not untap during my untap step. T: add 3 to my mana pool. 4: Untap ~)
    (U) Grindstone (3, T: Put the top two cards of target player's library into that player's graveyard. If both cards share a color, repeat this process.)
    (S) Painter's Servant (1/3, As Painter's Servant comes into play, choose a color. All cards that aren't in play, spells, and permanents are the chosen color in addition to their other colors.) (Blue)

Graveyard: Powder Keg, Impulse, Stroke of Genius, Misdirection, Ancestral Recall

Hand: 3
    Library: 42
    In Play:

(T,T,U) Island x3
    (T,U) Plains x2
    (U) Tundra (W/U dual)

(T) Mana Vault (~ doesn't uintap during my untap step. At the beginning of my upkeep, I may pay 4. If I do, untap ~. At the beginning of my draw step, if ~ is tapped, ~ deals 1 dmg to me. T: Add 3 to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Flooded Strand, Mishra's Factory, Lotus Petal, Cancel, Upheaval
    RFG:
  9. Melkor Active Member

I had the Painter's Servant, I drew a land and the Grim off of the Ancestral and the Grindstone was my regular draw.

No response
  10. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Done - discard 2 Plains and Island

Hand: 11
    In Play:

Hand: 7
    In Play:

Graveyard: Flooded Strand, Mishra's Factory, Lotus Petal, Cancel, Upheaval, Plains x2, Island
    RFG:
  11. Melkor Active Member

Untap, Upkeep, Draw

Island, Grindstone, Discard Island, Cruel Edict, Meloku the Clouded Mirror, done

Library: 24
    In Play:

(T) Island x1

Graveyard: Powder Keg, Impulse, Stroke of Genius, Misdirection, Ancestral Recall, Island, Cruel Edict, Meloku the Clouded Mirror

In Play:

Graveyard: Flooded Strand, Mishra's Factory, Lotus Petal, Cancel, Upheaval, Plains x2, Island
    RFG:
  12. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Tundra
    Mana Vault
    Use it for Azorius Signet

Done - mana burn for 1

Library: 24
    In Play:

(T) Island x1

Graveyard: Powder Keg, Impulse, Stroke of Genius, Misdirection, Ancestral Recall, Island, Cruel Edict, Meloku the Clouded Mirror

Spiderman: 18
    Library: 41
    In Play:

(T) Tundra (U/W dual)

(T) Mana Vault (~ doesn't uintap during my untap step. At the beginning of my upkeep, I may pay 4. If I do, untap ~. At the beginning of my draw step, if ~ is tapped, ~ deals 1 dmg to me. T: Add 3 to my mana pool)
    (U) Azorius Signet (1, T: Add UW to my mana pool)

RFG:
  13. Melkor Active Member

Untap, Upkeep, Draw

Island, Painter's Servant, done

Hand: 6
    Library: 23
    In Play:

(T) (T) Island x2

Spiderman: 18
    Library: 41
    In Play:

(T) Tundra (U/W dual)

RFG:
  14. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Untap, upkeep, Draw - take 1

Island

Done

Library: 23
    In Play:

(T) (T) Island x2

Spiderman: 17
    Library: 40
    In Play:

(U) Tundra (U/W dual)
    (U) Island

RFG:
  15. Melkor Active Member

Untap, Upkeep, Draw

Swamp, activate Grindstone

Done

Library: 22
    In Play:

(T) (T) Island x2
    (T) Swamp x1

(T) Grindstone (3, T: Put the top two cards of target player's library into that player's graveyard. If both cards share a color, repeat this process.)

(U) Painter's Servant (1/3, As Painter's Servant comes into play, choose a color. All cards that aren't in play, spells, and permanents are the chosen color in addition to their other colors.) (Blue)

Spiderman: 17
    Library: 40
    In Play:

(U) Tundra (U/W dual)
    (U) Island

RFG:
  16. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

You know, for some reason, I thought it was the Servant and another artifact, not the Grindstone, that was the combo. Ah, well, good game. That was rather anticlimatic from our second game :) I'll update the thread if it hasn't been already.
  17. Melkor Active Member

Simple combos often seem to be.
  18. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I should have tapped for more mana when I cast Upheaval and not put down the land, although I was fearing a ctr at the time. Then I could have replayed Mana Vault on that turn and be ahead of you for land so hopefully I could counter the Servant when he came out...
  19. Melkor Active Member

I was confident after you had played a land before the Upheaval, I knew I would be one step ahead. So play or draw?
  20. Ransac CPA Trash Man

Oh yeah! I had forgotten that Spidey had won game 1!

Ransac, cpa trash man