Second Singleton Draft, Round 7: Spidey vs Melkor

Melkor

Ancestral resolves,

Untap, upkeep, Draw; well that is interesting

Island, Grim Monolith, Tap Grim Monolith for Grindstone and Painter's Servant naming blue

Done

Melkor: 20
Hand: 4
Library: 25
In Play:

(U) (U) (T) Island x3
(T) Swamp x1

(T) Grim Monolith (~ does not untap during my untap step. T: add 3 to my mana pool. 4: Untap ~)
(U) Grindstone (3, T: Put the top two cards of target player's library into that player's graveyard. If both cards share a color, repeat this process.)
(S) Painter's Servant (1/3, As Painter's Servant comes into play, choose a color. All cards that aren't in play, spells, and permanents are the chosen color in addition to their other colors.) (Blue)

Graveyard: Powder Keg, Impulse, Stroke of Genius, Misdirection, Ancestral Recall
RFG: Gush

Spiderman: 19
Hand: 5
Library: 43
In Play:

(U,U) Island x2
(U,U) Plains x2
(U) Tundra (W/U dual)

(U) Mana Vault (~ doesn't uintap during my untap step. At the beginning of my upkeep, I may pay 4. If I do, untap ~. At the beginning of my draw step, if ~ is tapped, ~ deals 1 dmg to me. T: Add 3 to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Flooded Strand, Mishra's Factory, Lotus Petal, Cancel
RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Did you already have the pieces or draw into them with the Recall?

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Island
Upheaval
Responses?

Hand: 4
In Play:

(U) (U) (T) Island x3
(T) Swamp x1

(T) Grim Monolith (~ does not untap during my untap step. T: add 3 to my mana pool. 4: Untap ~)
(U) Grindstone (3, T: Put the top two cards of target player's library into that player's graveyard. If both cards share a color, repeat this process.)
(S) Painter's Servant (1/3, As Painter's Servant comes into play, choose a color. All cards that aren't in play, spells, and permanents are the chosen color in addition to their other colors.) (Blue)

Graveyard: Powder Keg, Impulse, Stroke of Genius, Misdirection, Ancestral Recall

Hand: 3
Library: 42
In Play:

(T,T,U) Island x3
(T,U) Plains x2
(U) Tundra (W/U dual)

(T) Mana Vault (~ doesn't uintap during my untap step. At the beginning of my upkeep, I may pay 4. If I do, untap ~. At the beginning of my draw step, if ~ is tapped, ~ deals 1 dmg to me. T: Add 3 to my mana pool)

Graveyard: Flooded Strand, Mishra's Factory, Lotus Petal, Cancel, Upheaval
RFG:

Melkor

I had the Painter's Servant, I drew a land and the Grim off of the Ancestral and the Grindstone was my regular draw.

No response

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Done - discard 2 Plains and Island

Hand: 11
In Play:

Hand: 7
In Play:

Graveyard: Flooded Strand, Mishra's Factory, Lotus Petal, Cancel, Upheaval, Plains x2, Island
RFG:

Melkor

Untap, Upkeep, Draw

Island, Grindstone, Discard Island, Cruel Edict, Meloku the Clouded Mirror, done

Library: 24
In Play:

(T) Island x1

Graveyard: Powder Keg, Impulse, Stroke of Genius, Misdirection, Ancestral Recall, Island, Cruel Edict, Meloku the Clouded Mirror

In Play:

Graveyard: Flooded Strand, Mishra's Factory, Lotus Petal, Cancel, Upheaval, Plains x2, Island
RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Tundra
Mana Vault
Use it for Azorius Signet

Done - mana burn for 1

Library: 24
In Play:

(T) Island x1

Graveyard: Powder Keg, Impulse, Stroke of Genius, Misdirection, Ancestral Recall, Island, Cruel Edict, Meloku the Clouded Mirror

Spiderman: 18
Library: 41
In Play:

(T) Tundra (U/W dual)

(T) Mana Vault (~ doesn't uintap during my untap step. At the beginning of my upkeep, I may pay 4. If I do, untap ~. At the beginning of my draw step, if ~ is tapped, ~ deals 1 dmg to me. T: Add 3 to my mana pool)
(U) Azorius Signet (1, T: Add UW to my mana pool)

RFG:

Melkor

Untap, Upkeep, Draw

Island, Painter's Servant, done

Hand: 6
Library: 23
In Play:

(T) (T) Island x2

Spiderman: 18
Library: 41
In Play:

(T) Tundra (U/W dual)

RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw - take 1

Island

Done

Library: 23
In Play:

(T) (T) Island x2

Spiderman: 17
Library: 40
In Play:

(U) Tundra (U/W dual)
(U) Island

RFG:

Melkor

Untap, Upkeep, Draw

Swamp, activate Grindstone

Done

Library: 22
In Play:

(T) (T) Island x2
(T) Swamp x1

(T) Grindstone (3, T: Put the top two cards of target player's library into that player's graveyard. If both cards share a color, repeat this process.)

(U) Painter's Servant (1/3, As Painter's Servant comes into play, choose a color. All cards that aren't in play, spells, and permanents are the chosen color in addition to their other colors.) (Blue)

Spiderman: 17
Library: 40
In Play:

(U) Tundra (U/W dual)
(U) Island

RFG:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You know, for some reason, I thought it was the Servant and another artifact, not the Grindstone, that was the combo. Ah, well, good game. That was rather anticlimatic from our second game :) I'll update the thread if it hasn't been already.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I should have tapped for more mana when I cast Upheaval and not put down the land, although I was fearing a ctr at the time. Then I could have replayed Mana Vault on that turn and be ahead of you for land so hopefully I could counter the Servant when he came out...

Melkor

I was confident after you had played a land before the Upheaval, I knew I would be one step ahead. So play or draw?