"Scrubs Corner" : Type 2 and Type 1 ....YOUR introduction!

H

HOUTS

Hello everyone!!!!!

I must thank YELLOWYACKET for welcoming me here.
I usually post on Dojo, MTGNEWS.com, and several others so if you like what your read, go check out those sites.

This is my first time on this site and I am a T2 man but I won't stop there.

I have lots to say. I have enough qualifications in big tournaments to put forth my opinion so don't worry, I am not too scrubby. I have done my share of winning..... :)
I am also a level 2 judge.

So lets get it on......
( LETTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSS GETTTT REEEAAADDDYY TTOOO RUMMMBBBBLLEEEEE!!!! )

Type 1

Before the banning and restriction of the artifacts,etc I didn't play T1. I don't have the power cards to keep up but now I can hold my own.
You don't need them.

So my suggestion on Type 1 if your going to play is either a combo, a control or a speed deck.

Ok thanks. WHIPEEE!!!.
I know, I know. I will go further into it.

Speed: SLIGH or BURN

Control: BLue/white

Combo: Illusions DE GRANDJOUR! :)

Here is my favorite:
(when my friend borrows me his cards)

"Nothing to do":

2 Swords to Plowshares
3 Arcane Denial
3 Force of Will
3 Counter Spell
1 Abeyance
1 Regrowth
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Moat
1 Abyss
1 Demonic Tutor
2 Aura of Silence
2 Disenchant
1 Ivory Mask
1 Timetwister
1 Timewalk
1 Ancestral
1 Mox Saphire
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Jet
1 Sol Ring
1 Ivory Mask
1 Zuran Orb
2 G. Blessing
1 Armageddon
1 Balance

Land:

4 City of Brass
4 Tundra
3 Savannah
4 Tropical Island
3 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
1 Underground Sea
1 Bayou
1 Reflecting Pool

yeah I know, basics.
what if you DON'T have the cards?

HERE:

3 G. Blessing
4 Counter Spells
3 Swords to Plowshares
2 Wrath of God
3 Nevinraly's Disk
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Stroke of Genuis
1 Capsize
1 Whispers of Muse
3 Force of Will
2 Dissapate
3 Disenchant
1 Aura of Silence
2 Gerrards Wisdom
2 Rewind
1 Abeyance
1 Sylvan Library

4 Tundra
3 Reflecting Pool
3 City of Brass
4 Savvanah
3 Tropical Island
2 Kjedoran Outpost
1 Dustbowl
1 Strip Mine
3 Quicksand
1 Faririe Conclave
2 Treetop Village

This one is fun and cheap. WEll, duals are cheap sort of. If not get the 4 city and 4 reflecting pools and use Adarkar Waste and Brushland.

In T1 it is all speed or nothing. Combo is quick and so is Sligh.
I had to make sure I didn't lose quickly to something weird.

The swords are for sligh etc
The counter spells are fun combo
The aura is for both sligh and combo
The G blessings are to recycle something. Usefull.
The G. Wisdom in the second is for sligh and combo as well as the mask for the same.

That is all for now,

Comments? /Suggestions?

The one and only,
HOUTS
ME

G

Gizmo

WOW!
Way to make an entrance!

So does this mean I`m no longer the lone tourney junkey here at the CPA?

Killer Joe

I'm sure most of the folks here have seen your work on other sites (I know I have, and I've enjoyed them). And I think your column "Scrub's Corner" would be welcomed in our articles section (some of our best post there like TomB, Chaos Turtle, and too many others to mention). As I'm sure you've noticed we have a wide array of folks here ranging from the extremely casual to our resident "pro-tour" dude; Gizmo. Again, welcome to the site and post at will!!!!!

Z

Zadok001

Basically, anything that gets sent in (assuming it's not _too_ obscene) gets posted on the front page, so if you'd like to do that, feel free! (Which is, of course, not to say you can't do this here, that's open season too!)

Welcome aboard, HOUTS. :) Been reading your stuff on MtgNews, loved it. Glad to c'ya here. (Oh, yeah. I'm Nivelimac, in case the tagline and extremely odd sense of grammer haven't tipped you off already.)

"Lookit me, I have a signature!"

D

Duel

Right. Nice deck. If I had that kind of money, I'd buy it. Wait, if I had that kind of money, I'd buy a car.
I like the remake though. A couple questions/suggestions: Why not throw in mana acceleration? I know BOPs are speed bumps of paradise in t1, but they help. You need them for speed, because my black suicide kills turn 4, so wraths are useless. I like the swords to plowshares, nice touch, but I'm skeptical that they provide enough removal to deal with sligh. Looks like 5c donais, minus the red (donais never needed red) and black (can't say I'm as sure). One more thing: HOW THE HECK DO YOU KILL?!?
Plus, I'm poor (read as "broke"), meaning I don't have the money for THAT! So I'm gonna go for an "If you don't have the money" version ofn this deck. My first leap at t1, so feel free to yell at me:

4 Birds of Paradise (so it's not all that cheap, its better)
4 Counterspell
3 Gaea's blessing
3 Swords to plowshares
3 Nevinyrral's disk
2 Mystic tutor
2 Enlightened tutor
2 Forced March (cheap to buy Wrath. plague wind could replace it, but it too expensive to cast. The speed is valuable, even forced march could be bad.)
3 Rhox (kill method. Expensive addition #2)
4 Disenchant
1 Sylvan library or Mirri's guile. (Whichever is cheaper)
2 dissapate
2 heightened awareness (love this card!!!)
4 Llanowar elves (mana!!!)
2 Exploration
1 archivist
1 Avatar of woe

2 underground sea
2 bayou
3 Reflecting Pool
3 City of Brass
2 Savvanah
2 Tropical island
1 Dustbowl
2 Strip Mine
1 Faririe Conclave
2 Treetop Village

[Edited by Duel on June 3rd, 2000 at 04:51 PM]

Z

Zadok001

I question the 'let's play XBBB cc cards in a four color deck' theory... Maybe something other than Forced March could go into that slot? Massacre, though the alternate cost is worthless. Hell, Flowstone Slide might fit in, though that would be taking Black and turning it Red. But it only costs two red mana, not three.

Or Earthquake, also Red. The drawback there is that it would hurt you, and it won't deal w/ Morphling and all his little flying friends.

Wrath of God always seems like my favorite card for that slot, but if you can't get that... Maybe Planar Collapse, Winds of Rath, or other WoG varients that are easier to acquire?

"I dunno... Forced March is just hard to play!"

D

Duel

I agree. Forced march filled the slot of "there's gotta be a better card" All I could think was plague winds. And that was kinda dumb. I think that possible planar collapse would work, (yay! it's white!) as would Wave of Reckoning. But because I have no creature enchantments, I'd be hesitant to play winds of rath in this deck.