Sari's Eureka/"Stupid Green"

S

Sarisa

This is a rather fun (though rather controllish) multiplayer deck I have good success with in my area. Deck list first, comments after.

[Lands=23]
4 Savannah
1 Karakas
1 Pendelhaven
7 Plains
10 Forest

[Creatures=27]
3 Stampeding Wildebeests
2 Stampeding Serow
4 Wall of Blossoms
4 Eternal Witness
4 Wood Elves
2 Spike Weaver
2 Loaming Shaman
3 Loxodon Hierarch
3 Deranged Hermit

[Non-Creature Spells=10]
3 Naturalize
4 Swords to Plowshares
1 Regrowth
2 Eureka

In typical play, the deck usually will stall with Wall of Blossoms and Swords to Plowshares, accelerate with Wood Elves as needed, and finally play one of the Stampeding creatures or use Eureka to drop a Stampeding creature with threats.

After about 4 months of playing around with the deck, 5 Stampeding creatures seems to be the right number, and they're in a 3/2 split because there are Meddling Mages/Null Chambers in my environment.

Wood Elves thin and accelerate, and since I own duals, also help colour fix. Eternal Witness is a given (I do try to keep one in hand to help me recover faster if someone does Wrath/Deed/Disk); Loxodon Hierarch helps keep my creatures alive through Pyroclasm/Earthquake, as well giving me a life edge against burn and aggro decks. Wall of Blossoms is a typical green draw effect; Spike Weaver against creature decks who can't remove it is essentially a hard lock, as I'll be able to fog every turn while building up an army of squirrels.

Loaming Shaman is used to hate on opponents graveyards and to prevent myself from decking (some multiplayer games I'm in end up being this deck with its anti-creature lock going versus a control deck where I can't attack with the squirrels, so decking protection has won multiple times). I used Gaea's Blessing in this slot prior to Dissension, to the same effect. Sometimes I miss the cantrip effect, but the 3/2 body and it being more easily reused is very effective as well.

I run 1 Regrowth for Meddling Mage protection, and for times when I lose some Eternal Witnesses. Karakas and Pendelhaven tend to just be a Plains and a Forest with abilities, and since there's basically no non-basic hate in the casual gaming group (there is in the 5-color one), there's usually no ill effect. Their abilities often become quite handy in long, drawn out games where people forget I've played them (Plus you never know someone will Reanimate (and lose 8 life) Akroma). Naturalize is a must in my environment.

The win usually ends up removing all their threats by "infinite" Swords to Plowshares and attacking with an army of beefed up squirrels created by repeatedly bouncing Deranged Hermits.

Other cards I've played or considered include:

Carven Caryatid instead of Wall of Blossoms - The +2/+1 for an additional [G] is nice, but I prefer the quickness of Wall of Blossoms.

Coiling Oracle instead of either Wall of Blossoms or Wood Elves - I can easily run blue in the deck (I own two Tropical Islands), but the 1/1 body is rather fragile, and the land acceleration ability isn't as predictable as Wood Elves.

Living Wish, replacing some of the multiples - Useful, and great for fetching silver bullets (Indrink Stomphowler, another Stampeding creature, Spike Feeder for more life), Phantom Nishoba, and my own Akroma for beats. This is great late game but I hate drawing it early.

Spike Feeder I used to run but Hierarch is just so much better.

Winding Canyons is something I've considered, although it's very much a late-game card. It is not good early, and that's when I would want to cast creatures at instant speed.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Nice post and interesting deck, just one question:

Sarisa said:
attacking with an army of beefed up squirrels created by repeatedly bouncing Deranged Hermits.
How does bouncing the Hermits "beef up" the squirrels? The +1/+1 from the hermit is a static ability that is only while it's in play. Or I could be missing something and that wouldn't be the first time......

turgy22

Nothing Special
Mooseman said:
How does bouncing the Hermits "beef up" the squirrels? The +1/+1 from the hermit is a static ability that is only while it's in play. Or I could be missing something and that wouldn't be the first time......
I think he just means that the army is created by bouncing the hermit. 4 new squirrels a turn = big army. And obviously, as long as the hermit's in play, the squirrel army is "beefed" up.