Sane or Insane?

D

DarthFerret

Well, the verdict is in, Andrea Yates was found to be incompetent while performing the acts of murdering her 5 children by drowning them in a bathtub.

The Ex-husband (father of the kids) is said to be happy with the jury's decision.

Post your comments!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't been following it very much, if at all.

So if she's found incompetent, she goes to a mental institution?

I think it's terrible that five kids died - a couple even tried to escape if I remember correctly. But if she's crazy, what can you do? Still kill her? Is that justifiable? I don't know...

But it's better if she's kept from procreating again, that's for sure.

L

Limited

I hadn't heard about this, but it seems to me that this is a very disturbed woman. I think she deserves to spend the rest of her life in prison.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
If you could do it once, you could do it again. I think society should be protected from people like this. Death or life in prison/Hospital with no chance of getting out.

Those children have no chance of "getting out".

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Regardless if she's insane or not, she proved that she was capable of killing five children. Of course she's crazy. Typical people aren't acapble of doing something like that.

I say death would've be best, but removing her from society forever works, too.

Ransac, cpa trash man

tag guard

D

DarthFerret

Actually, just found out today, that for some reason, the trial was only about 3 of the 5 kids. Therefore, if the prosecution wants to, they can have a trial about the other 2 kids. I am not sure why they did not do all counts of murder at the same trial, excepting as to have this current loop-hole if things went south.

Tag Guard

L

Lythand

Just curious. Isnt there some law that if a person is deemed crazy, and some time along the road they get reabilitated and are deemed a sane person thorugh therapy, isnt there something where they can then finish thier trial as if the person were not crazy?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I think they are institutionalized until such time as they are found competent to stand trial, then the trial recommences. Isn't that the way it goes?

D

DarthFerret

I believe what you are refering to, is that if a person who is sane, commits a crime, and then for some reason, looses thier sanity before thier court hearing, they are not allowed to be tried until such time as they regain thier sanity. A note: Keep in mind, that if in a trial, the court finds someone insane, then that is it. They can never be tried again for the exact same offense (Double Jeapordy Clause).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's probably why they did just 3 kids and not all 5 - in case some new evidence comes up and she can be re-tried with one or both of the remaining kids.

Ferret

Staff member
I say we give her a nice Witch Trial. Fill up a bathtub with water and let her take a ten minute plunge. If she lives then she's a witch - at which point she's allowed to live a normal life (As a practitioner of witchcraft, I would have to be against the whole burning thing :) ). If she dies then we could all say that we were temporarily insane when we drowned her and we're 'terribly sorry'.

-Ferret

"Death's too good for her"