Russian ties to the President?

Ferret

Staff member
Time to see if anyone is interested in talking politics: It would appear that President Trump's son met with key Russian businessmen before the election and there's talk of possible collusion in the election.

Now, I couldn't care less either way. They were both Manchurian Candidates to me, but I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks...

turgy22

Nothing Special
Now, I couldn't care less either way.
Then why bring it up? :p
They were both Manchurian Candidates to me
Can you elaborate on this? Who were both Manchurian Candidates and why?

As for your question, I think there's still a lot of unknown information out there. I do believe that the investigation should be allowed to continue until all that facts are out and, if any laws were broken, those responsible should be punished appropriately.

Ferret

Staff member
Lol - Well, it's been revealed that Donald Trump Jr went to Russia with plans to build a new Trump Tower in Moscow - and this alleged meeting is how the Russians got the idea to interfere with the 2016 elections...

Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton was receiving a few hundred million in campaign donations from many nation in the Middle East. Sounds a little flaky to me.

(so, both Manchurian Candidates)

As for why bring it up? Meh, things are slow in this forum and I thought I'd try to breathe some life into it :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I pretty much agree with turgy22.

Ferret said:
Hillary Clinton was receiving a few hundred million in campaign donations from many nation in the Middle East. Sounds a little flaky to me.
Haven't really heard about this. If they were disclosed (unlike the Trump family's dealings with Russia), it's not really the same. If they weren't... not sure on the law on foreign nation donations offhand, but simply giving money as opposed to sowing misinformation are two different levels of interference (with the latter much more severe).

turgy22

Nothing Special
Lol - Well, it's been revealed that Donald Trump Jr went to Russia with plans to build a new Trump Tower in Moscow - and this alleged meeting is how the Russians got the idea to interfere with the 2016 elections...

Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton was receiving a few hundred million in campaign donations from many nation in the Middle East. Sounds a little flaky to me.
I think my understanding of the term "Manchurian Candidate" might not be what's usually meant when the phrase is used. I was under the impression it was someone who would run under a platform opposing someone, but secretly working for them. Using this criteria, neither candidate was a Manchurian Candidate. It's pretty well-established that Russia supported Trump, but he never really denied this. In fact, he's said hardly a bad word about Russia since he's entered politics. I think it would be more accurate to call him a Manchurian Candidate if he was aided by Mexico or Iran or some other country he openly criticized while campaigning. For Clinton, I think it's even harder to apply that title, since she didn't really run in opposition to anything in particular. I certainly don't remember her calling out Middle Eastern nations or any other foreign powers that might have aided her campaign.
Of course, if the only requisite to be labeled as a Manchurian Candidate is to have accepted foreign donations, then, yeah, they're both probably guilty of that. Of course, that also probably means it's been decades since we haven't had such a candidate running for president.

With politics? That's usually not such a good idea...:confused:
SHUT UP, A-HOLE! Nobody asked your opinion! Your wrong and everything you think is wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself for thinking such stupid thoughts. Get off this board and go back yo your ech chamber, you russion troll! It makes me so sick hearing you spout off this nonsense. I'm qquiting this board. GOod riddance to all fo you. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
SHUT UP, A-HOLE! Nobody asked your opinion! Your wrong and everything you think is wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself for thinking such stupid thoughts. Get off this board and go back yo your ech chamber, you russion troll! It makes me so sick hearing you spout off this nonsense. I'm qquiting this board. GOod riddance to all fo you. :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Wasn't that one of our members from way back?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
turgy22[/b said:
It's pretty well-established that Russia supported Trump,
I don't think it's "well-established" - that's what Mueller is trying to find out. I think the evidence that has been made public so far is showing signs leading to it though.

Mooseman said:
Are you referring to Istanbul? I think he more quit because of differences of opinion among the mods here of how to deal with dissenting opinions and the people posting them, not the actual opinions themselves. But it was about 15 years ago-ish, so I could be hazy on that :rolleyes:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Are you referring to Istanbul? I think he more quit because of differences of opinion among the mods here of how to deal with dissenting opinions and the people posting them, not the actual opinions themselves. But it was about 15 years ago-ish, so I could be hazy on that :rolleyes:
Yikes, it hasn't been quite that long, but it's coming up on that. Time flies. Anyway, Istanbul was vocal about wanting a certain person to be banned, I forget what it was over at that time, although the person was eventually banned anyway. He did make a post stating that he'd "left" and jumped ship to MTGSalvation, which was much smaller at the time (although still bigger than the CPA, of course). This was back in 2006. He "left" in the sense that he was active over there and not over here, but he did still continue to make some posts for a while.

Istanbul said:
I became displeased with a series of moderator decisions and left.

MTG Salvation has been a great boon to me; I mostly hang out in the card creation and casual sections, with occasional forays into the trading post. And yes, a lot of the other stuff is gibberish...but if you look closely, you can find some real gems in there. I <3 you guys, but once you've spent years and years around the same people, you can pretty much predict what they're going to say before they say it. MTG Salvation is constantly full of new ideas, new people, and new opinions.

Yes, I'm pimping that site. No, I'm not sorry. I mean every word.
Not trying to derail the thread. Or maybe I am. I mean, the investigation is still ongoing. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"I became displeased with a series of moderator decisions and left."

Yes, that's pretty much how I remember it. If this was 2006, it was probably over HOUTS and whether a ban was truly necessary or just "ignore him" so he had nothing to respond to. As it turned out, Ed implemented a new version of the forum software at some point (again, can't remember) which allowed us to do the ignore thing "behind the scenes".

turgy22

Nothing Special
I don't think it's "well-established" - that's what Mueller is trying to find out. I think the evidence that has been made public so far is showing signs leading to it though.
By "supported Trump" I meant they wanted him to win and to steps to achieve that goal. Here's a link to an article published before Trump even took office, where US intel agencies "concluded with 'high confidence' that Russia acted covertly in the latter stages of the presidential campaign to harm Hillary Clinton’s chances and promote Donald J. Trump."
I believe Mueller is trying to find out the extent of the meddling and whether or not anyone involved in the campaign was working with Russia.

I was just responding in a stereotypical manner for people on the internet discussing politics... definitely not trying to reference anyone in particular.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Isty...HOUTS...now there's a couple of names I haven't even thought about in a LONG while...:)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I was just responding in a stereotypical manner for people on the internet discussing politics... definitely not trying to reference anyone in particular.
But you reminded of HOUTS....... and it was funny/sarcastic/mocking