Ritual Variants

L

Landkiller

Dark Ritual Variants

1. Slow Ritual
Instant - B
You may pay BB to add BBBBB to your mana pool.

2. Exclusive Ritual
Sorcery - B
Add BBB to your mana pool. You may only use this mana pool to play black spells.

3. Weak Ritual
Instant - B
Add BB to your mana pool.

4. Delayed Ritual
Enchantment - B
Remove this enchantment from the game if it would leave play. Sacrifice this : Add BB to your mana pool.

5. Ritual Mage
Creature - Wizard - BB
1/1
Remove this creature from the game if it would leave play. Sacrifice this : Add BBB to your mana pool.

Are any of these balanced?

M

MrXarvox

They're balanced alright.
but if they all were printed, that would make for one hell of a mana-accelerated deck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about Exclusive Ritual. I mean, that's pretty much what Dark Ritual was used for, casting black spells.

C

Cateran Emperor

...it does fix the problem of broken artifact tricks like DR allowed in Extended and does allow in T1.

L

Landkiller

Stuff :
Exclusive Ritual cannot pay costs of activated abilities.
Exclusive Ritual cannot pay colorless costs of non-black spells, or artifacts.
Exclusive Ritual cannot play spells outside of your main phase.
Exclusive Ritual cannot be used to play instants in response to an opponents action.

In short, it isn't versatile. I have used a Ritual to pay for all of these. And now I couldn't.
So, it isn't as broken as Dark Ritual.
It may be broken.
But it has a stronger argument for fairness than Dark Ritual.

In fact, I think Ritual Mage is almost broken. If he survives the turn, you'll have up to 6 mana on turn 3, and possibly can attack for 1. If you dropped all your lands.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I missed the Sorcery part...

but in all honesty, all of those situations take a pale second place to using D.R. as casting a Hippy, or Choking Sands, or Negator, or Erg Raider with an Unholy Strength. In that respect, I think those kind of situations will be used for an Exclusive Ritual and so nothing's really changed.

Except for the Sorcery part, but as mentioned above, all those spells are going to be cast on your turn anyway so it doesn't matter.

Most of your situations below, I'd think of using artifact mana of some sort, not a Ritual. I'm not saying that couldn't happen and it's not possible, just that in general, IMHO, that's not what you use a Ritual for.

L

Landkiller

Well, my take, is that those plays are fair, and give Black the power it deserves.

I may be wrong. Removing Dark Ritual almost eliminates good black speed decks. That's undesirable. But it eliminates dangerous combos. That's desirable. So a version needs to be made that makes black speed decks work, but doesn't break the game too much. And of course, only 1 version should be in the environment.

W

Whimsical

The banning of Dark Rit in Extended WAS an act of cruelty by WOTC towards all Necro/Suicide/any speedy black decks in general. If they reprinted Dark Ritual and made it a sorcery, that would see a comeback of those aforementioned deck archetypes.

Unban Dark Rit for Extended! Ban those combo decks instead! Just mah two cents... :D

D

DÛke

...agreed with Adorable Sliver.

Dark Ritual is the card that describes us Black players: fast, furious, and very suicidal in ways. Why do they ban the "signature" card of Black? I'm waiting for the day they ban "Counterspell" and "Disenchant". What would happen? I don't really want to find out.

About your cards LandKiller, like I told you many times; you really know how to make cards! :)

L

Landkiller

I have made my own CCG. We have printed cards and are in the process of playtesting. I am currently developing two other card games as well, and I have notebooks full of ideas.

I don't ever want a real job again ;)

D

DÛke

You developed your own CCG too! Do you know me? :)
I'm just so happy that a person in here could actually "relate" to me after all!

You know, months ago back at MTGnews; I asked some questions regarding your making one's own TCGs.

I made 1 TCG. We did printed all the cards, and we have already play tested it. If only I have enough time and money to actually have some company look at these cards and the rules. It's a really, really wonderful game, the one I made I meant. It's just as complex and wonderful as Magic.

I have also made 2 other TCGs (just like you!) and currently play testing them. However, I only have printed cards for the first TCG since everyone was so insistent on trying it out.

What about you man? What about your TCGs? You know, I never thought the CPA would be that great and let me introduce myself to people that have the exact same interests as I do! Landkiller, that's cool: you like to make your own cards, own TCGs, and you play Magic. That's cool man, really cool! :D

N

Nyx

http://home.san.rr.com/enchanter/

Here's a quote from their site:
August 27, 2000 - Enchanter is progressing quite nicely. It will be released in the next two weeks. When it is released it will play no games. I will leave it up to you, the users, to make add-ons for your own custom games. We will not support any copyrighted games without permission from their owners.

If you are interested in creating a game, e-mail me and let me know, and I can e-mail you the graphics templates and the customization files.
hey haven't updated in a while and I don't think the program's finished. Still, you might want to contact them and see what's up.

L

Landkiller

Uhh.. hmm..

My friend Neil and I designed the game
named "Kingdoms", over the past year or so. It was originally my idea, but I hadn't done too much on it. We had the goal of taking a complete game to Origins and finding somebody who would give us extravagant cash, but it wasn't ready yet.

Going to different Colleges has made it nearly impossible to get any testing done, although I have designed different decks and played them a few times. Yet we have only identified a couple broken cards. There is one card that was always a first turn win for the player that had it.

The game is more complex than Magic, but much more creature based than most games. The object was to eliminate all opposing creatures, but don't think of anything like Magic.

The other games I am working on are called Triad, and Mercenaries. Mercenaries is my only independent project, and it was the predecessor to Kingdoms. But we changed so many rules, that it became something separate. And then I decided Mercenaries deserve their own game anyway.

Each of these games will have storyline and artwork. We are still designing card layout. I want something that looks different from other games, a more round feel, but not a metallic or modern look at all.

Hopefully we can get some testing in over Thanksgiving break.

D

DÛke

I came up with the outline of my CCG and I and my brother tested. Then my sister decided to try it and she loved it. I revealed it to more people, and the results were only positive.

The fist game I call: From the Deep. It revolved about each player picking from several unique characters. Each character has his or her own special abilities and effects. Each character also has his or her own special card that does something powerful if that particular character plays it. The character that kills the other, wins. The good thing about the game is that it has no dice involved, meaning less "luck" factor. It also has no coins, or anything of that matter. It's really, really fun to play, and not to mention really hard and competitive. Addictive is another word. :)

The card layout is nothing like anyone has seen before. The illustration on the card simply has to be smaller than "usual" since the card has so much to do, yet so little space.

Only if there's a program that makes you "design" your own card layout...I really want to test these cards more "freely" rather than printing more and more proxies.

I hope this game makes it out to the "real world" someday...It's just a dream, but I AM allowed to dream...

C

Cateran Emperor

If you can only cast black spells, you can't ritual out multiple artifacts on turn one or two :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I thought Tinker decks and Collosi decks did. Are we talking about the same thing? I'm getting confused... :confused:

:D

L

Landkiller

I never saw a black Tinker deck.
Back in UBC there was a black artifact deck that was very good, but no tinkers in it.

Collusi? No clue.