Risk

R

Rakarth

That's even better :p

There's 5 of us at the moment, me, Spidey, BPC, Modus and Killer Joe right? The only way it seems that we can do this is by writing down the relevant info in a post and ahve the map as a single pic somewhere so that it can be referenced by all.

Unless someone can think of a way of making an interactive map then we can't really keep posting the map every turn with only a few minor differences can we?

Is everyone up for trying it like this?

Rakarth

M

Modus Pwnens

Sure, lets give it a try.
If you like, I can be your host as well, to randomize the cards you receive (as well as enabling the possibility of getting different territories on the card, although I've heared of many different rulings about the meaning of this).

We will have to get the rules straight first anyway, so from memory:

-Turn:
-Exchange cards*
-Receive armies for cards/continents*
-Call for reinforcements (t/3, rounded up with t being the number of territories you control, with a minimum of 3) OR make any number of attacks
-Move armies (7 moves max, 1 move being moving 1 army to an adjecent territory)
-Receive card if you conquered a territory

* = optional

Making pacts etc is allowed, as long as it's done in public (and pacts can be broken anytime, just like normal risk).

About receiving cards:
3x Artillery = 4
3x Infantry = 6
3x Cavalry = 8
3x different = 10
after 5 cards exchanging is mandatory.

Anything to add? (starting armies etc)

R

Rakarth

Secret Mission Risk or Global Domination? :D

These rules are copied from the offical game.

INITIAL ARMY PLACEMENT consists of these steps:

Select a color and, depending on the number of players, count out the “armies” you’ll need to start the game.

If 3 are playing, each player counts out 35 Infantry.
If 4 are playing, each player counts out 30 Infantry.
If 5 are playing, each player counts out 25 Infantry.
If 6 are playing, each player counts out 20 Infantry.

Roll one die. Whoever rolls the highest number takes one Infantry piece
from his or her pile and places it onto any territory on the board, thus
claiming that territory. - *this could be done randomly to speed things up?*

Starting to the left of the first player, everyone in turn places one army
onto any unoccupied territory. Continue until all 42 territories have
been claimed. - *So we need to determine turn sequence*

After all 42 territories are claimed, each player in turn places one
additional army onto any territory he or she already occupies. Continue
in this way until everyone has run out of armies. There is no limit to the
number of armies you may place onto a single territory.

To complete game SETUP:
5. Shuffle the pack of RISK cards (remove the Mission cards) and place it,
face down, by the side of the board. This pack forms the draw pile.
*I'm not sure how this will work unless we have an impartial host?*

6. Whoever placed the first army takes the first turn.

----------------------------

Each of your turns consists of three steps, in this order:
1. Getting and placing new armies;
2. Attacking, if you choose to, by rolling the dice;
3. Fortifying your position.

New armies are gained every turn automatically, 3 always going up to territoris/3 rounded down. 1 cards only is gained at the end of a turn in which you capture a territory.

The reinforcements come every turn at the start of the turn and you can also trade in cards to get more. Than you place them.

Then you can attack.

If you attack or not you then get your free move from one (and only one) territory into another single territory although you can move as many armies from here as you'd like. That's your turn over.

I wasn't aware there was an army move limit either. There doesn't seem to be one in the rules. You may attack as many territories as you like so long as you have 2 or more armies in the attacking territory and may continue attacking a territory until all the oppostion is wiped out.

So with a big enough army you can steam roll through an opponents territory if you get enough momentum :D

Rakarth

M

Modus Pwnens

It seems like a host is the most preferable option, and I'm willing to do this job :)

How many armies do you place in a conquered territory? I thought this was declared before you attack, and it also limits the number of dices you can throw if you attack with less than 3. Defender always uses 2 dices, unless he has only 1 army, in which case he throws 1.

R

rokapoke

Modus Pwnens said:
It seems like a host is the most preferable option, and I'm willing to do this job :)
Actually, as a nonpartisan bystander, I may serve as a better host. And I'd be willing.

How many armies do you place in a conquered territory? I thought this was declared before you attack, and it also limits the number of dices you can throw if you attack with less than 3. Defender always uses 2 dices, unless he has only 1 army, in which case he throws 1.
I believe you are correct. The attacker throws as many dice as he has "attacking" units, though no more than 3 dice. However many "attacking" units survive the siege get placed in the territory in question.

M

Modus Pwnens

When an attack consists of multiple dice-throws, does the attacker gets to decide how many units to send every time?
What are the rules of losing units? 1 unit is at stake per dice thrown by the defender?

R

Rakarth

Here's the official rules.

TO ATTACK!
First announce both the territory you’re attacking and the one
you’re attacking from. Then roll the dice against the opponent who
occupies the opposing territory.

Before rolling, both you and your opponent must announce the number
of dice you intend to roll, and you both must roll at the same time.
You, the attacker, will roll 1,2 or 3 red dice: You must have at least one
more army in your territory than the number of dice you roll. - *This one army is the guy who must stay in the territory if you win so you are not allowed to attack with him as it might leave your territory unoccupied*

Hint: The more dice you roll, the greater your odds of winning. Yet the more dice
you roll, the more armies you may lose, or be required to move into a
captured territory.
The defender will roll either 1 or 2 white dice: To roll 2 dice, he or she
must have at least 2 armies on the territory under attack. Hint: The more
dice the defender rolls, the greater his or her odds of winning-but the
more armies he or she may lose.
To Decide a Battle. Compare the highest die each of you rolled. If yours
(the attacker’s) is higher, the defender loses one army from the territory
under attack. But if the defender’s die is higher than yours, you lose one
army from the territory you attacked from; put it back in your clear plastic
box. If each of you rolled more than one die, now compare the two
next-highest dice and repeat the process.

So the attacker does get to decide how many units he sends, although he can continue attacking as many times as he wants. So if he sends three men against 2 and wipes them out he moves three men over whether he lost any men or not. If the attacker sent 20 men and wipes them out he must move over 20 men.

The defender always wins ties and the attacker cannot lose more than two armies per roll.

Rakarth

If rokapoke wouldn't mind hosting the game then that'd be great :D

B

BigBlue

How about this for record keeping:

At the end of every turn - the host (or the player) posts what the board looks like -

Europe:

Germany - Spiderman - 12 Armies
-Italy, Francy, Russia, ... (the list of where it can attack or be attacked from)
Italy - Ransac - 2 Armies
- Germany, Greece, ...

Asia:
Russia - Rakarth - 1 Army
- China, ...

That's fairly compact.

Each Player keeps track of his own territories in his own post for the turn - and shows reinforcements and troop movements. The host updates the entire board after each turn for the next player...

During the attack - players need not show their entire board, just announce their attack. If I could - I reccomend having the host roll the dice - or reporting your die roll to the host when you announce your attack...

Of course, if you feel brave - you can announce more than one attack at a time (on 2 fronts say).

B

BigBlue

I would also be willing to serve as a second host - to keep things rolling... I could set up the board on google docs and share it - so anyone could see it (i think).

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Rakarth said:
So the attacker does get to decide how many units he sends, although he can continue attacking as many times as he wants. So if he sends three men against 2 and wipes them out he moves three men over whether he lost any men or not. If the attacker sent 20 men and wipes them out he must move over 20 men.
I'm pretty sure if the attacker loses a man in the fight he failed to take over the territory in question...;)

Also, IIRC, if the attacker attacked with 3 dice from a territory of, say, 20 men, he has to move a minimum of 3 men in if he wins the die roll, but he can choose to move in as many as 19 men (1 must stay behind). I do not believe you have to announce the number of men you intend to move in if you are successful in taking the territory until after the battle is over.

R

Rakarth

Sorry that wasn't quite phrased properly. If he wipes outt he opposing army then he takes over the territory. If he loses men then he can choose to attack again or to leave it.

Rakarth

B

Budget Player Cadet

I don't know, this seems really, really complicated, and I don't know how I'm gonna manage this... and I'm busy at RealMTG... I'm sorry, I'm pulling out of this game.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, this is kinda funny, I didn't know there were different rules of Risk that people played under :)

As far as I know, there isn't an attack limit (both on men or countries), you can reinforce one country from as many spaces away as you like with as many men as you want (as long as 1 is left behind and the countries are connected with other countries you control), and attacker rolls 1 dice for each attacker up to a max of 3 dice and defender rolls 1 dice for each defender up to a max of 2 dice - defender wins ties.

I'm ready to try it out.

R

Rakarth

Ok then. We just need to decide on the rules once and for all.

If rokapoke's hosting then he can take care of the map and turn order :)

To pick territories we go around in turn order. 1 army in any unoccupied territory we want. Go round until all territories are taken, then you can start reinforcing any you own.

At the start of each turn except the first you always recieve reinforcements to be placed on any territory you control. You recieve X/3 armies where X is the number of territories you control except that you will always recieve 3 armies as reinforcement, no less.

Are these ok so far before I go into attacking?

Rakarth