Rhystic Study

M

Mikeymike

I recently rediscovered this little gem when I was looking for a good replacement to the useless Squee's Revenge in my coin flip deck, as I figured it would also be good with the Syncopate's I was packing.

Man, what a house. I played with it the other night, and while it only drew me 3 cards (still not bad for a common) it gave my teammate and I a wonderful tempo advantage. I was thinking how nicely it would be to back it up with Rhystic Deflection, or should I say Divert.

They cast a targeting spell, I see if they pay 1 (they probably do) and it makes my little Divert 1 mana stronger. It doesn't sound like much, but its an unanticipated play that I bet would work. Plus once they see me cast Divert once, they now plan on holding back an extra 3 lands instead of 1 anytime I've got 1 measly blue open - tempo heaven.

I was trying to think of other non-rhystic spells that would work nicely with this card:

Sphere of Resistance
Rishadan Port
Winter Orb

Any others?

B

BigBlue

I like it with:

Withdraw
Eratic Portal
Temporal Adept (of course she always wears a huge target)
Capsize
Basically bounce of any type is very cool.

Splash black for mundungu

Aether Barrier (if you go fairly creatureless)

Tangle Wire
Puppeteer

C

Captain Caveman

I like to use it with Mana Web. That way nobody gets_as_mad in
those casual games. Winter Orb tends to make our group players
mad. I'm speaking for a strictly, casual/fun perspective.

P

Psychlone

I used to use Mystic Remora back when Ice Age was new to the same effect. No one would ever pay the 4 mana to stop me from drawing a card. I almost always drew 3-5 cards with each Remora...

T

theorgg

The Bird and Footpad pirates from Masques works really well, too.

they might cause some anger, though...

J

Jigglypuff

I agree with you, theorgg, that those cards could cause some anger, but they might not have too many ways to retaliate against you. I'm seeing a deck idea here... I'll post it in the Decks forum once I think of it.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about this all weekend and I was sorting my blue cards and thought I'd give it a try with my group. They're not too quick to pick up on card-drawing so it might go farther with me :) I don't think I have all of the Rishadans in your deck list Jigglypuff, but I'll come up with something :)

D

Deadman

Well, I awlays beleive in using extremes, so my vote would be to Armageddon, if your gonna do something to land, it might as well be destroying them utterly