RGD draft?

B

BuiltByKevlar

I have never done a draft before. Not even one and I am very interested in it. Hopefully I will do my first draft before the end of the week. I need tips. Tips for everything from what guilds are in what packs to how I can send signals to people. Basically I have no idea what I am doing and I would love as much info as you guys will give me. Thanks.

D

dwarven_anarchist

Basically, try to stick to 3 colors.

Go for BREAK:

Bombs - Anything that really breaks the game open; big fliers, mass removal, etc.
Removal - Kill spells, burn, Arrest-style effects.
Evasion - Flying, unblockability, to a lesser extent Protection.
Aggression/Advantage - I've heard both.
Krap - Stuff you wouldn't feed your dog.

good luck.

L

Limited

I think there was a great article on mtgsalvation about this; but I can't seem to find it :(

Something about Izzet being ridiculous in draft, so you need to start drafting UR immediately (leaving bombs of other color for other players). At the end of the Ravnica pack, you decide to either pick up some white or green cards, setting you up for Azorius or Simic in Dissension.

G

Gizmo

There's loads of different ways of drafting in RGD, it's probably the best limited format ever. Ravnica is the weakest pack - however good your Selesnya cards look dont take them, it's a dead end guild. Many players 'ignore' the guild structure of Ravnica and simply use it to pick Signets and guildlands to fix their mana then pick up guilds from later packs.

Popular decks:
RGU (Gruul, Izzet, Simic)
BRG (Golgari, Gruul, Rakdos)
BRU (Dimir, Izzet, Rakdos)

The biggest drawback to avoid is making an aggressive deck based over 3 colours, if your deck is going to be qggressive it's best to base in two main colours with a third colour only as a mid-late game splash otherwise your mana becomes so complicated that you won't be able to reliably play your early creatures and you'll lose.

B

BuiltByKevlar

Unfortunately the next draft that is happening around me is the coldsnap release event. So now its trip-coldsnap. But I am still excited for an RGD draft and thank you for all of your help. Coldsnap draft seems much less complicated. It seems like grabbing anything with surging in the title is a good idea.

turgy22

Nothing Special
If you've never done an RGD draft before, I highly recommend drafting Red/Green/Blue. After I wrote the article that Oversoul linked, I tried forcing myself into those three colors and had much better success than before.

Basically, in the first pack, you want to take all the best green, red and blue cards you can. Look for mana fixers (Farseek, Civic Wayfinder) and beefy creatures (Seige Wurm, Bramble Elemental) in green, removal (Fiery Conclusion, Galvanic Arc) in red and flyers (Snapping Drake) in blue.

In the second pack, take the best Gruul or Izzet cards. Or any good mono-colored cards, as well. Repeal, Steamcore Weird, Ghor-Clan Savage, Silhana Ledgewalker, Silhana Starfletcher, Wildsize, Pyromatics, Izzet Chronarch, Wee Dragonauts, Scab-Clan Mauler, and Streetbreaker Wurm are all great commons from the set. Especially Wee Dragonauts, which I think are vastly underrated. Also, look out for bloodthirst creatures, since they'll combo well with the third pack...

Where you go for Simic. Simic Guildmage is absolutely nuts if you can get it, but it's uncommon, so it doesn't come up too often. Good commons include Helium Squirter, Silkwing Scout, Simic Ragwurm, Sporeback Troll, Seal of Fire, Cackling Flames, and Coiling Oracle. Assault Zeppelid is one of the best commons you can get. If good graft creatures present themselves, try to pick up as many as possible. It's a powerful mechanic.

And that's my suggestion. Also, try to pick up the common dual lands as early as the 3rd - 4th pick. They really help your mana base a lot.