Return to Kai: White

Are these cards balanced and playable?

• Excellent job! Go ahead and print it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Needs very minor tweaking.

• Needs a bit more work.

• Go back to the drawing board, it's a mess.

• Total voters
H

HumanError

Foreword

I'd really appreciate any input anyone can give me on this set, because I intend to print it and run a small sealed league in my area with it. So if anyone has any suggestions, constructive criticism, or finds a card that isn't templated to WotC standards, please let me know. :)

Set Mechanics

Blink X: You may pay X to blink this card out (set it aside), or blink this card in (return it to play if it was set aside).

Shift X: You may pay X instead of this card's mana cost to play it.

Visage creature type: Creatures that have abilities dependant on your stats or permanents in play. Visages are projections of the player, like avatars.

Rules of Blink

• If a card is blinked out, it is set aside. All counters on it and enchantments on it go with it. Likewise, if it is a local enchantment, permanents it enchants blink out with it. Conversely, if these permanents blink in, the same rules apply.
• A card that is blinked out can't be the target of spells or abilities, can't attack or block, and is unaffected by spells or abilities which occur in play.
• Some cards which are blinked out may have abilities which can only be used while they are blinked out, but these abilities can be used.
• Some cards affect cards which are blinked out.
• Anything blinked out is essentially considered to be in a separate play area.

White

001C Angelic Duty
1W, Enchant Creature
When Angelic Duty comes into play, draw a card.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and attacking doesn't cause it to tap.

002U Blushing Well
W, Enchantment
All Visages get +0/+1 and attacking doesn't cause them to tap.

003U Brilliant Visage
1WW, Creature - Visage, 2/2
Attacking doesn't cause Brilliant Visage to tap.
Brilliant Visage gets +1/+1 if you control two or less creatures and gets +0/+3 if you control five or more creatures.

004U Capricious Angel
2WW, Creature - Angel, 2/3
Flying, blink 2W
Attacking doesn't cause Capricious Angel to tap.

005C Chromatic Ward
W, Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature has protection from the most common color in play. If two or more colors are tied for most common, enchanted creature has protection from those colors.

006U Cleanse the Water
2W, Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a purity counter on target swamp.
If a swamp with a purity counter on it is tapped for mana, it produces colorless mana instead of its normal type.

007R Condemn
3WW, Sorcery
Destroy all black and/or red permanents.

008U Consecrated Graves
W, Enchantment
Creature cards in graveyards can't be the target of spells or abilities.

009R Convalescent Spirit
1WW, Creature - Spirit, 2/2
Flying
0: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, Convalsecent Spirit can't be the target of spells or abilities this turn. If you lose the flip, sacrifice Convalescent Spirit and you gain 2 life.
0: Flip a coin. If the coin lands in your favor, Convalescent Spirit can't be the target of spells or abilities this turn. Otherwise, sacrifice Convalescent Spirit and you gain 2 life.

010C Drowsy Soldier
W, Creature - Soldier, 1/1
Blink 1

011R Enchanted Moat
2WW, Enchantment
Creatures can't attack unless they have flying or are enchanted.
At the end of your turn, if no creatures you control attacked that turn, sacrifice Enchanted Moat.

012R Enchanter's Scroll
1W, Sorcery
Search your library for a white enchantment card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

013C Endless Harmony
1W, Instant
Shuffle Endless Harmony into your library.
You gain 3 life.

014R Fallon, Sanctuary Keeper
W, Creature - Cleric, 0/1
When Fallon, Sanctuary Keeper comes into play, your life total becomes 1.
Damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to 1 instead.

015R Fallon's Blessing
2WW, Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, if that player controls a plains, he or she gains 2 life.

016C Glossy Armor
1W, Enchantment
Glossy Armor comes into play with three damage counters on it.
Whenever you would be dealt damage, instead remove a damage counter from Glossy Armor and prevent that damage.

017C Glowing Visage
W, Creature - Visage, 1/1
Glowing Visage has first strike if you control two or less plains and gets +0/+2 if you control four or more plains.

018C Healer's Balm
W, Instant
Shift 1G
Target player gains 4 life.

019C Healing Pool
1W, Instant
Prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to you and each creature you control this turn. (This prevents 3 damage each for you and each creature.)

020U Inspace Glimmer
W, Enchant Permanent
Whenever enchanted permanent blinks in, you gain 2 life for each W in that permanent's mana cost.

021R Investor's Savvy
W, Enchantment
Sacrifice a permanent: Put a coin counter on Investor's Savvy.
Discard a card from your hand: Put a coin counter on Investor's Savvy.
Sacrifice Investor's Savvy: You gain 1 life for each coin counter on Investor's Savvy.

022R Kai Bailiff
2W, Creature - Soldier, 1/1
Blink 3WW
Whenever Kai Bailiff leaves play, sacrifice a plains.
Creatures can't attack.

023R Kai Cornerstone
2W, Enchantment
U: Return target white creature you control to its owner's hand.
2B: Destroy target white creature.
R: Target white creature gains first strike until end of turn.
G: White creatures gain trample until end of turn.

024U Kai Politician
1WW, Creature - Townsfolk, 1/2
Red creature spells cost 2 more to play.

025U Kai Prospector
WW, Creature - Townsfolk, 1/1
When Kai Prospector comes into play, destroy target swamp.

026R Kai Shopkeeper
W, Creature - Townsfolk, 1/1
2,T: Shuffle target card in play you control into its owner's library.

027C Lazy Reserves
2W, Creature - Soldier, 3/4
Lazy Reserves doesn't untap during your untap step.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 1W. If you do, untap Lazy Reserves.

028U Lumbering Knight
2WW, Creature - Knight, 1/1
First strike
If Lumbering Knight attacks, it gets +1/+1 until end of combat for each other attacking creature.
If Lumbering Knight blocks, it gets +1/+1 until end of combat for each other blocking creature.

029C Morning Breeze
1W, Sorcery
Reveal the top four cards of your library. You gain 2 life for each plains card revealed this way. Put those cards on the bottom of your library in any order.

030R Mourning Elder
3WW, Creature - Bearer, 2/2
When Mourning Elder comes into play, destroy all other creatures. They can't regenerate.
When Mourning Elder leaves play, remove it from the game.

031U Outer Walls
2W, Creature - Wall, 0/3
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 0/3 white Wall creature token into play.
Sacrifice a Wall: Target Wall gets +0/+3 until end of turn.

032R Pacifist Sanctuary
2W, Creature - Wall, 0/9
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life.
Creatures you control can't attack.
Pacifist Sanctuary may block any number of creatures each combat.

033C Prairie Ranger
1W, Creature - Soldier, 1/3
First strike, shift GG

034U Reigning Peace
1W, Enchantment
Red creatures get -1/-0 and lose haste.

035C Reject
2W, Instant
Shift WU
Destroy target artifact or enchantment.

036C Sanctuary Student
W, Creature - Cleric, 1/1
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life.

037R Shimmering Angel
3WW, Creature - Angel, 3/4
Flying, shift 3UG
Attacking doesn't cause Shimmering Angel to tap.

038C Shining Visage
1W, Creature - Visage, 1/2
First strike
Shining Visage has flying if you control no enchantments.
Whenever Shining Visage deals damage, you gain that much life if you control three or more enchantments.

039C Solitary Confinement
W, Enchant Creature
Blink 2 (If Solitary Confinement blinks out, enchanted creature also blinks out with it.)

040U Squad Leader
2W, Creature - Knight, 2/2
Whenever Squad Leader attacks, all other attacking creatures get +0/+1 until end of combat.

041U Steadfast Purity
2W, Enchantment
Spells with shift cost 4 more to play.
Shift costs are increased by 4.

042U Stumbling Retainer
1W, Creature - Cleric, 1/1
Sacrifice an enchantment: Destroy target enchantment.
Sacrifice Stumbling Retainer: Counter target spell if it is an enchantment.

043R Tax Scroll
1W, Instant
Search your library for up to X plains cards, reveal them, and put them into your hand. X is the number of lands target player controls in excess of the number of lands you control. Then shuffle your library.

044U Thousand Voices
2WW, Creature - Spirit, 2/2
Attacking doesn't cause Thousand Voices to tap.
Thousand Voices gets +1/+1 if you control a green creature, has flying if you control a blue creature, and gets -2/+1 if you control a black or red creature.

045C Valued Alliance
W, Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1, has trample if you control a green permanent, and has flying if you control a blue permanent.

046U Vigilant Angel
2WW, Creature - Angel, 4/4
Flying
Vigilant Angel may be played as an instant.
At end of turn, return Vigilant Angel to its owner's hand.

047C Vitality Tap
1W, Sorcery
Tap target untapped creature you control. You gain life equal to its converted mana cost.
Draw a card.

048R Vow of Silence
2WW, Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card.
Play no more than one spell each turn.

049R Wandering Overlord
4WW, Creature - Knight, 1/3
First strike
When Wandering Overlord comes into play, destroy all lands.
When Wandering Overlord leaves play, remove it from the game.

050C White Apprentice
W, Creature - Cleric, 1/1
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a study counter on White Apprentice.
W: White Apprentice gains first strike until end of turn.
Sacrifice White Apprentice: Put a 2/2 white Knight creature token with first strike into play. Play this ability only if there are three or more study counters on White Apprentice.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Make the following change, and only the following change, to Vigilant Angel:
Change "At end of turn" to "At the beginning of any turn..."
This way we can keep from happening to it what happened to Waylay.

The rule about local enchantments blinking out seems a little weird to me...
You would have to find some way to make sure it stayed on the same permanent, but that doesn't seem intuitive...
Don't expand it to much more than a few cards (Solitary Confinement is a good example).

Wrath/mass destruction is practically useless in this set. Of course, I'm the kind of person who thinks this is a good thing. :D

It's an interesting set. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the Visages, but they're good.

Is there a backstory?

H

HumanError

There's a very minute backstory, the set is mostly just a sequel to the very first block of sets I completed, where the realm of Kai is one of five areas (Noir, Enderia, Sepolt, and the Laniyan Forest) peacefully coexisting. In the first set, Sepolt defects from the peace treaty and conquers the other four. In the second set, the four rebel against Sepolt. And in the third, they conquer Sepolt.

I'll fix Vigilant Angel in my next draft.

The Blink thing is kind of weird and got a little out-of-hand during the design stages, but is still an interesting enough ability and workable enough that I can make it function well enough.

The Visages are just kind of there. I'd been trying to make an interesting creature type but the best ones I've ever made were Symbionts ("Sacrifice ~this~ and another Symbiont: Put a ?/? green Symbiont creature token into play.") and Sleepers ("Sleepers cost you 1 less to play." on each Sleeper). There's a buttload of them in the multicolor, though, and those are probably more interesting.

Why do you say mass destruction is practically useless in this set? I'm curious. :)

Thanks for the input!

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Originally posted by HumanError

Why do you say mass destruction is practically useless in this set? I'm curious. :)
You Wrath. I blink out all my creatures. That doesn't achieve much.

You see my point?

H

HumanError

I suppose...but blink costs are pretty expensive on most creatures, you'd be paying quite a bit of mana and I doubt you'd be able to salvage all of them.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
HumanError: When you say "sealed", do you just mean with this set? Or any Magic set? 'Cause I was interpreting it as the former so Wrath wouldn't even be a consideration...

H

HumanError

Just this set. We run a sealed league around here that's pretty cool, and I'd like to try it with this set, but it looks like this thing isn't quite in good enough shape to do it.

Oh well, next draft.

H

HumanError

Well, Istanbul and I are working on refining it and I'm really looking for as much constructive criticism as I can, but there just seems to be too much that was poorly thought out in the set as a whole. But you can feel free to look at all the other colors, white is really one of the worst examples of the set as a whole. :) I recommend black and the artifacts and lands.