Restrictions and unbannings

C

Crazy Pierre

Necro had to go...I am neutral about this myself, never having really used it, but I AM happy that the little net-deck freaks around where I live are jumping out of windows because now they will have to THINK about deck construction....First turn NEcro usually meant game, and that's never good.

Demonic Consulation? I can see where it is an Instant "Demonic Tutor", but I personally hate playing with cards
that leave even the smallest element to chance...I've seen too many people rip through their decks and get screwed by Consult for me to ever play with it...

Mind Twist:Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaa!!!!!!! About time! This will DEFINITELY give those blue players something to Force of Will, or they will be screwed....And the best part about it is, it's always good to play....Oh baby!

Channel? I guess I will throw that and a Torch in my Type 1 deck in case I get the Lotus and a land turn 1.....
I disagree with this, but I suppose in the environment, it is not really meaningful.

R

rakso

For starters, first-turn Necro is a very high-risk play and is ill-advised.

P

Purple_jester

Unless you're playing Trix and have all the game winning elements in your opening hand. :D

A

Apollo

For starters, first-turn Necro is a very high-risk play and is ill-advised.
HAH! That's a good one.

If you're playing Trix, 19 cards will get you the cards or a Consult to get the one you don't have. If you're not playing Trix, you will draw the Drains. That's why type II Necro decks with just Corrupts still ran Rituals.

Remember a couple years ago, when Necro was the deck to beat at regionals? Right after Regionals, there was a million tournament reports on the Dojo that included this quote:

Game 1: I got the Necro and Ritual in my opening hand, so I won.
Apollo

R

rakso

Definitely.

Trix, unless you're really sure of what's in your opponent's deck, would be better off doing a first-turn Duress, then second-turn Ritual-Necro. You might have everything in hand, but the other guy just might have Force of Will, too.

Used to be, that is.

And unless you emptied at least half your hand or are a little light on land, first-turn Necro wasn't always that good... you wouldn't be able to play what you draw right away and you gave up some free draws.

It depended on exactly what the opponent had, but more articles on Necro strategy in the past advised AGAINST giving up free draws.

U

Ura

Umm, necro doesn't really care about a couple of free draws normally since it can draw a heck of alot more alot faster. Plus most of the old fashioned necro decks could run off of 2 or 3 mana anyways, unless they were draining.
Plus if your scared about a force of will or disenchant or something, it isn't normally that tough to find out what color a persons deck is to see if that kind of threat is a possibility.
I played a trix deck for a while (yes, feel free to shoot, slam, flame, or chastise me) and a first turn necro was the game everytime. If they were playing with forces and I thought they had one, then I would duress first and necro second turn, but thats just simple logic of survival. Simply put, as soon as I had necro out it was game over.

D

Duel

[me] shoots, spams, flames, and chastises Ura[/me]

Honestly, necro hasn't been the same since Wakefield ran to green...

C

Cerberus

I have seen the reason why Necro and Demonic Consulation when I played against one of zadok001 decks last year it was somthing like tricks and it was way to fast for me. Do to the fact that type 1 is so fast I can see the resons behind Mind Twist and channel being moved off of the banned list. all and all I think that it was a good set of moves

C

Chaos Turtle

In Type 1, turn 1 Necro (via Ritual or Lotus or anything) is considered an excellent play. This has been the case for a very long time, even before Trix reared its broken head.
Turn two, of course, would preferably have included a Juzam Djinn in it.

Those were the days...

G

galtwish

This thread is supposed to be about the bannings & restrictions, not about how good Necro has ALWYAS been. For the record, Necro has ALWAYS been a broken card that made broken decks.

Moving on: Channel is bad to unban. It is only good for combo decks. It is very easy to get GG, and giving yourself mana for life=Bargain+Skirge in one card. I forsee a lot of 4 Torch/channel/broken artifacts/Hurkyl's Recall/Recycle decks.

Mind Twist is good to unban. Restricted, it isn't too much of a problem with Ivory Mask, Misdirection, Foil, Force of Will, Disrupt, et al in the mix.

Necro is bad to ban, because it eliminates Necro decks. It is however, necessary, as most Necro decks don't play Specter, Sinkhole and Negator anymore. It is a lot simpiler than trying to ban a bunch of other cards (although I see no problem in banning Illusions of Grandeur and Donate in T1, T1.5, and Extended). Necro is good, but it has never been unbeatable (except during Regionals last year with Will and Necro in the same format. Nice going DCI)

Consultation was a natual addition to the restricted Tutor list.

Erik

R

rakso

Originally posted by galtwish
Mind Twist is good to unban. Restricted, it isn't too much of a problem with Ivory Mask, Misdirection, Foil, Force of Will, Disrupt, et al in the mix.
Erik
Without re-arguing all the points about Necro, I'd just like to point out that you can't Misdirect a Mind Twist because it now reads "target opponent". If you used Foil to thwart a Mind Twist, the caster would definitely love that. And Ivory Mask is good for midgame discard (as a side effect to stopping burn and Pande-Burst kills), but not quite for the early game.