"Reserved" List

Ferret

Staff member
I remember seeing the Restricted List when it was first published. First it filled me w/ rage - and not the CCG - and then it made me think "this isn't so bad an idea." I saw the disastrous effect of the reprinting Icy Manipulator had on the secondary market...

...nowadays, I think of the secondary market and laugh. I remember walking into a local gaming place w/ my binders wanting to make some good trades and some guys were actually openning his Scrye before letting me look at his cards. I grabbed my cards and told them that the cards they were looking at were on the Reserved List - if they couldn't give me a card that came from the 'List also we weren't going to trade - this was quickly followed by them grabbing their cards and pouting to the rest of their Middle School friends (no offense to those of you in this demographic). So, not too many good trades were made that day...

...then Alliances came out and I freaked - actualy freaked! Believe it. I saw Diminishing Returns and went "huh? They've reprinted Time Twister" Well, that card's value's going down....and I could repeat what I said in the rant previous to this one about the Power Nine (okay, Eight - I forgot one - my bad :), but I don't want to bore you - probably have, already...

...anyhoo, all these reprints of cards from the Reserved List have proven that WotC enjoys lying through their teeth - but, that's okay. It means you don't have to shell out a month's pay/allowance/extortion money to get those cards you want - just wait four months for the next set to come out and see which one has been reprinted...

-ferret

"...and odds are, it'll be a better version... :)"

D

Dune Echo

Ferret's latest reply to Lion's Eye Diamond inspired something. He said that the reason Black Lotus was created was to cast those favorite fatties. Everyone wants to bring back the feel the game had when we first got into it. What was the first type of deck everyone played? A creature deck. We all did. Everyone's first deck was creatures. I almost guarantee it. Maybe WotC needs to quit creating cards altogether and just make up lots of creatures. (I'm joking here.) But maybe that's what we all miss, creature battles. What's everyone's thoughts? Creature battles were what slowed the game down, right? Combo decks are what are the game, right (except for dumb errata like for Waylay)? Black Lotus and Moxes became insanely powerful because it helped combo decks. Same with every version they've made so far. So what can WotC do? They try to make interesting cards and combo decks go off.

Ferret

Staff member
Yeah, my first deck was a critter deck - and you could say all of the decks I have now are based around creatures - especially w/ the help of my four Coats of Arms. I actually have a couple that have pretty nifty combos that could be called Combo or Prison decks, but for the most part they're fun - and fun to play against - I've done it before just to see how it would feel...

...which makes me think of Portal/Starter. These sets don't have much in the way of combo potential - except for a *.geddon deck, but those are sometimes fun anyway. You just have critters. It's like WotC is trying to drill into your head how great creatures cards are before you start going crazy w/ Artifacts, Instants, and Enchantments that help you win on turn 3 - or less! It's a step in the right direction...

-ferret

"...but, waaaaay off topic!"

Z

Zadok001

Actually, my first deck consisted of 26 Swamps and 8 Drain Life. :) I guess I'm just an "I kill you now" player.

But yes, creature battles are much more fun. The best game I had recently was a Stampy mirror match. Each of us running 12 maindeck creature enhancers, 8 instants, TONS of fatties, and a bunch of little Elves. More creatures dies during that game than any other game in recent memory. That's what I want to see back. Cheap, effective creatures that are defensive in nature. Like, say, Giant Spider for 2G.

Or good walls. Really good walls. Like Wall of Glare, that flies. Super effective, totally defensive cards for low casting costs. Bring back StP, and Obilette (ok, that one sucked, but it was fun! :) ). That would weaken fast rush decks....

Anyway, just some random thoughts.

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

D

Dune Echo

One of my sentences in my post above is supposed to read "Combo decks are what sped the game up and created problems and dissention with the happiness with the game, right?" Please note that I am not an idiot and that an edit feature on here would be very... nice.