Rehashing old cards...

D

Dune Echo

You know, I'm wondering how many older card ideas have been rehashed at some point but the original idea was never reprinted again. With all the rehashing, unless you're playing Type 1, why would you possibly need the old cards to be reprinted? Here's an example so you know what I mean:

Copper Tablet --> Barbed Wire
Same basic idea, but the Barbed Wire lets you pay 2 to prevent the damage to you and ups the cc by 1.

Moxes --> (Mirage) Diamonds --> Mox Diamond --> Pieces and parts of Ramos
Again, a natural progression. (Would an even better Sol Grail have been so bad instead of the Ramos things though? Make it be able to produce the CIP chosen color and be able to sac for any color?)

Black Lotus --> Lion's Eye Diamond --> Lotus Petal
Good. BAD (except in a few particular decks). Balanced (but the pros broke it, jerks!).

What cards have you people notice that are like this?

[Edited by Dune Echo (04-06-2000 at 07:37 AM).]

D

Dune Echo

Okay another a few I just thought of.

Time Vault --> Magistrate's Scepter
Balanced after errata. Not so good, but you won't overkill anyone with it.

Timetwister --> Diminishing Returns --> Time Spiral
Damn good. Damn good in a REALLY BIG deck (Zadok should know something about that! ;)). It's restricted for a reason.

Time Walk --> Time Warp
Restricted for a reason. Balanced.

Lightning Bolt --> Incinerate --> Shock
Balanced, why did they take this away? Good, not balancing for green though. Boring.

[Edited by Dune Echo (04-06-2000 at 07:22 AM).]

D

Dune Echo

Regrowth --> Elven Cache --> Reclaim --> Revive
Powerful. A little overcosted, only in Limited has this ever really helped me. Great in a Recycle deck. Balanced, puts the power with Green again.

U

Ura

How about these! :)

Ali from Cairo - Worship
Tetravis - Thopter Squadron
Dual lands - Pain lands
Caverns of Despair - Crawlspace
Two-headed Giant - Two-headed Dragon
Sylvan Library - Mirri's Guile
Icy Manipulator - Puppet Strings, Ring of Gix
Braingyeser - Stroke of Genius
Serra Angel - Herald of Serra
Will-O'-The-Wisp - Fog of Gnats
Necropotence - Yawgmoths Bargain

And those are all just for starters. :)

G

Gryphonclaw

Here's another "series"

Force of Nature -> Child of Gaea
Same cc, both have trample, the second is just a little smaller, with half the upkeep (modified) and regeneration.

Circle of protection -> Rune of protection -> Circle of protection

The runes were, IMHO, better due to the cycling, and more balanced, then they went back to circles. What gives?

Ward of lights -> Cho manno's blessing
Identical, with the second one better.

Stampede -> Overrun -> Stampede

Overrun is definitely way more powerful, so stampede replaced it's replacement.

Lightning blow -> Guided Strike

Identical except for: Guided strike granted +1/+0 and the card came immediately, instead of next turns upkeep. Plus 1 was a rare, the other an uncommon.

Reprisal -> Radiants Judgement -> Reprisal?
I'm not sure, but I think Reprisal was printed in classic. Radients Judgement was definately better with cycling to offset the +1 mana to the cc.

To sum up, some cards have been improved in their reprinted form.

A

arhar

Yes, Reprisal was printed in 6th, and IMHO it's much better than Radiant's Judgement: it's Bury instead of Destroy....

C

Chaos Turtle

Can't believe I'm first with this one...

Demonic Tutor --> Demonic Consultation --> Vampiric Tutor (other Mirage tutors,too).

Restricted for a reason. Still a little too good, but at least there's a drawback. Drawback (or restriction, in Mirage tutors' case) and a little bit slower (top of library insted of in hand) and still maybe a little too good.

D

Dune Echo

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. People are asking for reprints of all these "good" or "old" cards and I just wanted to show people that most of these ideas have been reprinted in some form or another.

Lightning Reflexes --> Flaming Sword

Jade Statue --> Chimeric Sphere/Xanthic Statue --> Chimeric Staff
Not bad. Ehh, so-so/Good with a large amount of mana. Good with a large amount of mana.

Berserk --> Fanatical Fever --> Rancor
Great! Bad, just bad. GREAT!

Raging River --> Goblin War Drums (I know, this one's a stretch.)
Interesting! Good in a swarm vs. swarm deck.

Millstone --> Ashnod's Cylix/Helm of Obedience --> Altar of Dementia/Grindstone
Good. Interesting/Very cool against creature-less decks. Is Zadok around on this one :)/Very cool, interesting, and good.

Stone Rain --> Pillage --> Flowstone Flood --> Lay Waste/Raze

Basic spell. Very good. Average. Ehh/Good (turns anyone one of your lands into a Strip Mine for R).