Red & Green Sligh (Gizmo, some help, please?)

D

Daenen

This is not, strictly speaking, a sligh deck. The name works for now.

My concept of this deck came from everyone attempting to build the perfect Red/Green beatdown deck. Some people suggested lots of burn, and others wanted really big creatures.

Then I remembered an artical I read on Sideboard Online entitled the History of Sligh.

http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=sb20001005a

The article describes how Sligh uses creatures with minimal drawbacks and low casting costs to beat the snot out of your opponent as fast as possible. So what if you take a little bit of damage in the process ?(hmm, Channel Fireball anyone?)

Here is what I have come up with. Some of the cards aren't that good, but, I don't have a lot to work with yet. Please, tell me what you think, and what I can do to improve this fast, fun deck.

Red/Green Sligh, ver 1.0

Land (22)
11 Mountain
7 Forest
4 Karplusan Forest

1cc (16)
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Raging Goblin
4 Shock

2cc (12)
4 Wild Might
4 Flame Rift
4 Veteran Brawlers

3cc (11)
4 Chimeric Idol
4 Tangle Wire
3 Urza's Rage

Well, tell me what you think.

Daenen

A

Apollo

You have 16 creatures, but 8 of them are rather conditional, and the other 8 have only one power. I would lose the Birds and add something that can attack without some sort of pumping (I don't know the sets that well, but perhaps River Boa or Elvish Archers). With the general low costs in the deck, I don't think that acceleration is necessary.

I don't really like the Idols, as using them means you can't Wild Might during combat or Flame Rift after combat.

Raging Goblin isn't that great either, but like I said, I don't know the sets that well. Perhaps that's all there is for 1 casting cost in the set.

Gizmo or someone else can probably do a better job of helping you out.

C

Cateran Emperor

Just some random thoughts here. Don't forget Rage/Might Weavers and Firebrand Ranger, they're both a solid 2 power for 2 mana and have abilities to boot. ANother possibility is Ruby Leech, 1R for a 2/2 FS that doesn't massively affect the rest of the deck since you don't have that many Red cards anyway.

T

Thrash Golem

You don't have enough firepower to win before the other deck can stabilize. I would keep the birds, maybe splash blue for Wash Out.

Take out the 4 Chimeric Idols for Blastoderm. Chimeric Idol means you have to play more stuff before your attack and they can add to their blocking strategy more.

G

Gizmo

The thing is that right now red has NO good monsters until you get to Skizzik, whereas Green is good all thw way up the curve, so the temptation would be to just copy some of the current States decks to play fattys+burn.

4 Llanowar Elf
2 Birds Of Paradise
4 Seal of Fire

4 River Boa
4 Elvish Archer
4 Maniacal Rage

4 Rhystic Lightning
2 Urza`s Rage

4 Blastoderm

4 Kavu Titan
2 Skizzik

22 Land

That took about 5 seconds, so it`s probably crap. but don`t discount Maniacal Rage - it`s a real powerhouse because it carries your monsters clear of burn a lot, it gives you momentum in the mirrormatch, and it can be used to remove a blocker when necessary.